ugh i hate post office people

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by larapumkin, Dec 2, 2008.

1. larapumkin macrumors regular

Why cant they speak more kind to customers?
    i just posted some package, holiday gifts for my friends, yesterday in person, and i could not see any updates of the package delivery information from the website so i called them if they have any information available with the package.
    and the answer i got from them was 'we do not scan, we do not do anything to the package we just send it to the address'
    well, duh i paid for tracking and they don't scan when i handed my packages to them?
    well i told them i guess well that's what i paid for, you people scan the package so process information can be updated on the website so i can check, and i was curious because nothing was updated for my package after 24 hours i handed them, and i do have several experiences of item loss with usps.
    and the person who i was talking to was like "Ma'am! Your Package is not lost! You have to wait!"
    i just lost my words and told thanks for the explanation and hung up.
    Well i did not made a call to complain or anything, i was not yelling, i was asking question to them IF information is available.
    And i believe there are thousands of other way to say same thing in much more nicer way to the customer...:(
    Shoot this phone call just made my day terrible..

2. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

The only tracking you can get from the P.O. is you get a number go to the website and then hope they have enetered the information in to the system. you are likely to have your friend call you and tell you it has been delivered long before the "tracking" on their website is updated.

The only companies that offer real time tracking are FedEx and UPS (the latter being the better of the two) It is even free.

Oh and post office people are just miserable government workers hoping they still have a job next year.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

When I buy stuff from Amazon.com, they always ship it through USPS. They have up-to-date tracking through Amazon's website. In fact, I have 2 packages right now that I've been watching.

This is probably different because it's through a company, not personal.

4. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

U.S. post office tracking, is only for tracking to see if it has been delivered or not.
    You wont find any info on the package, until after it has been delivered. Usually within 24 hours:eek:

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Delivery Confirmation can vary. Sometimes I have packages scanned at every pit stop, and sometimes not until the end. But they are definitely supposed to scan it when it's delivered. Hence the name "Delivery" Confirmation.

But if you pay and print labels from their Website and get the free delivery confirmation, the postal workers are NOT supposed to scan the labels when you bring the packages to the PO. They are not supposed to give you a receipt. So if you are the shipper, you can't prove that you actually mailed the package. You can only prove you that you paid the shipping cost.

As to your phone call, try not to let it get you down. Some postal workers are just really nasty. (But some are nice.)

6. adk macrumors 68000

adk

You didn't pay for package tracking. You paid for delivery confirmation. The post office has never (and probably will never) scanned a parcel at every point along its travels.

7. larapumkin thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i was just saying tracking... i know it's just delivery confirmation, but they are supposed to scan it and they do update information like "package had been accepted by the postal service zipcode 90001 on 12/2/2008" and stuff with the delivery confirmation. every shipment that goes out from my work that has delivery confirmation and they always do those information update and they are supposed to.
    UPS does more specifically like it is now where and it is on transit and stuff.
    well i know usps is just a cheaper mailing instead ups, but it delivers pretty fast within domestic.
    But just some of people working in the office they are like yelling at the customers all the time.
    I don't expect them to keep a smiling face like bank tellers but they could not yell at people at least.
    i e-mailed to the customer service on their website about this phone call and got response last night with apology and mentioned this conduct is not acceptable under any of their circumstances and they filed this case.
    I mean if they are not required to do scanning, they can say it well we don't really do scan but they can say it in much nicer way instead of yelling.

8. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

...hence the term "Going Postal"

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Why are postal workers unhappy?

Well, personally, I don't like working 60-72 hours a week during December, and I don't know anyone that does. Luckily, I don't have to deal with unreasonable and demanding customers on top of that, so I could only imagine what the clerks at the counters have to deal with.

It's not the USPS's fault you don't understand Delivery Confirmation. Maybe if you want better service from postal employees you come into contact with, you should treat them better, as I have a feeling the conversation didn't occur like you said it did.

10. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Working in front of customers in the Post Office is neither an easy nor pleasant job. I have lots of family who have done that in the past and you would not believe the amount of negativity and BS postal workers have to deal with. It's very difficult to remain chipper when customers come up to you angry, inpatient or are complete jerks. Remain patient, calm and courteous and that would most likely be reciprocated back to you. Put yourself in their shoes and consider what they have to deal with.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It is a high stress job, if they would have shot their customers instead of each other -- people may have realized it a long time ago.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's also a pretty strong sign that you're not exactly being civil yourself when you start referring to someone as "you people." :rolleyes:

The USPS's logistics system is limited, true, although it's probably still better than FedEx Ground. :eek: But they're very reliable, they're very low cost, and they earn their keep in my book.

Also I don't go to the post office that often, but I have to say on balance that very few of the postal workers I encounter fit the "gone postal" profile. Most of them are very nice and courteous. They can't work magic and tell you things their informatics system doesn't tell them, but they're nice. At least as often as people at UPS or FedEx, if not moreso.

13. larapumkin thread starter macrumors regular

i admit...i did used wrong words on the sentence...but i never made my voice in temper at least...The person i talked over the phone at least did not used any bad or offensive words but yelling in anger.

14. larapumkin thread starter macrumors regular

I used to work for customer service for online store and air line as well.
    i know it is very stressfull to deal with every people but it is their job and what they do to get paid.
    and i know post office workers and dmv workers are dealing with so many people and some of them would have drive them crazy, but at least they should not yell at customser who asks question.
    And it's hard to find a job nowadays. I believe there's lots of people out there would do this work not yelling at each other.

15. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

And just wait until it gets privatized. Lower wages and fewer benefits. There will be less incentive to deliver the mail through rain and snow.

16. Bargsbeer macrumors member

Bargsbeer

I work for the U.S. Postal service. I can't stand the attitudes of my co-workers the problem is that they are protected by unions and it's near impossible to terminate or discipline a Postal worker especially for being rude. As for price and reliability you can't go wrong U.S. priority mail takes on average 2 days and is much cheaper than Fedex & UPS considering that Fedex transports mail for the postal service thats pretty good. I will be the first one to say there are many areas for improvement especially with tracking and customer service. I try my best as a postal worker to deliver on both.

17. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I do agree that you can't do better than Priority Mail. It's cheap and fast, and much easier since you can just go to any post office and mail off the package (no waiting for pickups or dropping at sparse locations).

As for your absurd union rant, you better thank those "evil" unions for your benefits you enjoy. What I can't stand is other postal employees who benefit from all of the hard work the unions have done for us over the decades and then sit back and badmouth them with anti-union talking-points. There are plenty of freeloaders willing to blame the unions for every single problem in the workplace, and then turn around and gain from them when we get raises or when the union fights for safer workplaces.

18. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I don't know guys, as much as I love priority mail, its about the same price as UPS ground and UPS provides excellent tracking.

I generally like the post office, however, our local one sees fit to slam a "not enough postage" label right over the top of the address on returned mail, its a pain. Instead of being able to add postage and resend, I have to find out where the envelope was going, get a new envelope, print the envelope or an address label, put postage on it, and resend it. It sucks and its pretty inconsiderate. Plus I have a sneaking suspicion that the manager at our local office stole my Ray Bans while I wasn't looking.

I don't think he was really bad mouthing the union; I just think he wishes it was easier for the Post Office to terminate rude workers or workers lacking in customer service skills. I'm sure he enjoys the other benefits that the union offers.

19. Bargsbeer macrumors member

Bargsbeer

I don't benefit from the unions hard work. I benefit from my own hard work unions are going to kill USPS just like they are killing the automakers. This is not the 1950's. Now a days unions only defend the deadbeats & scumbags who are too lazy to work. I could only imagine how much better the Postal service would be to work if they could get rid of the unions.

20. Bargsbeer macrumors member

Bargsbeer

If you have reason to believe a postal worker stole something from you. you really need to contact the U.S. Postal inspectors service. As for the postage due I now it sucks but it's your responsibility to make sure you have correct postage, I can't tell you how many pieces of mail come through everyday with no postage or not enough postage that equals revenue loss.

21. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I fully understand its my responsibility to have correct postage. However, there is no need to cover up the address I'm sending a piece of mail to with a large sticker telling me that I don't have correct postage. The envelope is large enough that the sticker could be put in many other places rather than over the address; if the address is covered up it can be almost impossible to determine where an envelope was headed, especially when the sticker peals off any remnants of an address when you take it off. Additionally, putting the sticker over the address stops me from adding the additional postage to the envelope and sending it; instead I have to run a new meter worth the full amount that the new envelope needs. It costs more money and its not supposed to.

22. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

If you feel that way, you should work for Wal-Mart. They're more inline with your thinking. Their pay and benefits are along the lines of what you'd be getting without the work of the Postal Union.

Also, the US automakers didn't go down because of the autoworkers. Their salaries are a small fraction of the costs.

23. Bargsbeer macrumors member

Bargsbeer

The reason the label is put over the address is so that it doesn't get sent to that address. That way we automatically know to return to sender in such a case you can simply apply stamps to adjust the postage.

24. Bargsbeer macrumors member

Bargsbeer

I'm fine working for the Postal Service. I don't need the union to protect me my work ethic will keep my job. There was a time when the unions helped these days they only help & protect the lazy employees. If we didn't have the unions the postal service could be much more productive as we would be able to terminate employees who performance is substandard an option not currently available.
    As for the big 3 their labor costs average $70-$75 per hour much more than Honda,Nisssan and Toyota pay their U.S. autoworkers who labor costs average $40-$50 per hour at the end of the day they are selling a better product.

25. barkomatic macrumors 68040

In my area the post office is very, very poorly managed. Often I'll go in before work(the peak time for our local post office) and there will be one person at the counter helping customers. I feel sorry for the person who is working at the counter, because by the time a customer gets there they have waited in line 30 minutes--and this is not during the holiday season mind you but the middle of summer.

I realize that the wait isn't that counter person's fault and so I try to treat that person well despite being angry at the institution -- but its hard when I see post office workers in the back laughing and goofing off. That's why people have bad impressions of unions these days. It used to be that unions protected hard working people who were being exploited and underpaid. Now, the uions act like the mafia in many respects and have no concern at all for providing quality service. In my dealings with post office workers I've had extremely cold abrasive treatment from them despite starting the transaction off on a friendly tone.