Uh oh. My ATT phone bill went up $15

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jman240, Jun 18, 2009.

1. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone used that mobile app thingy to check their phone bills. Mine went from $204 to an estimated $218 for the upcoming bill.

FYI, I've tried tethering twice. Both time I just loaded google.com. Anyone else see a larger phone bill coming? I really hope the 2mbs I used tethering didn't cause this.

More info: I'm on a premier plan with a business discont. That may have something to do with it. Also, I called a CSR and he said there weren't any unusual charges on my account and everything added up correctly. Sorry for my paranoia. Anyone else see this happening?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's funny how one's guilty conscience leads to the wrong idea.

3. jman240 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay? So nothing to worry about then.

I wouldn't say guilty conscience. I know they can track tethering. There probably isn't a way to charge for it yet though. I'm just being cautious.

Why would I feel guilty over using 2mb to test tethering?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Call AT&T up again and press on the issue asking where those extra $15 came from.

I am more than sure that loading up Google on an un-official tether didn't cause this. How am I so sure? I've been tethering using a jailbroken app for 5+ months now. Same bill.

5. jman240 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you. I saw you post that in another forum. Looks like it's the bill before the discount is applied or something like that. We'll see in 25 days when the bill is due.

6. bossxii macrumors 68000

$18 dollar upgrade charge maybe? You can always login to your AT&T account, check data tab if your worried about tether, but highly doubt that is the case. I've used PDAnet a few times to stream 2 or 3gigs of data in a month via my Slingplayer and I've never seen a charge because of two things.

First I'm under the 5 gig cap by watching usage.

Secondly they can't prove I'm not simply browsing on my iPhone, watching Youtube or other steaming apps such as Pandora or any of the apps that allow streaming. Orb lets me stream video from my home computer to my iPhone via 3g.

If I use 200meg one month and 4 gigs the next, that's within their own contract "5gig cap" as they put it.

I'm not debating if this is legal or not based on their contract, simply stating unless your well over the 5gig cap they won't do anything about it, they simply don't have time or the people to deal with it. They are too busy making millions of dollars and counting their cash from the $30 data plans that people barely use.

7. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

Maybe becasue most FAN discounts now don't apply to text bundles?

EDIT: but then that means your FAN disc could $18/$30= 60% which isnt likely

8. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Same for me every month with the exception of a few pennies to just under $1 depending on the taxes. The mobile APP or Web Login gives me the same result, that was one beef I had with Verizon, their physical bill in the mail, Bill over the phone, and Online all varried from one another, it was really annoying.

:rolleyes:

9. mac.gir1 macrumors newbie

mac.gir1

I hope you don't mind, jman240 - I apologize in advance for hacking your thread. I need some help with this issue (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8019327) which you seem to be really knowledgeable about. I can be reached at mac.girl [at] ymail [dot] com.

I would very much appreciate any help you can offer me (or that anyone else can offer me, for that matter! :eek: )

:apple:Tori