UK 3 Year Uni Warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by reclusive46, Jul 26, 2011.

1. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I was curious. How long does it take for the warranty to apply and what disadvantages are there with not getting apple care?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What do you mean by apply? It should be there from day one. The only disadvantage is that you get no phone support on top of the 90-day one (AppleCare gives you 3 years).

3. JamieVB macrumors newbie

the only difference between apple care and uni warranty is

uni warranty after the first year you have to pay for postage to apple

uni warranty does not include travel insurance

apple care does not cover for accidental damage, though my house insurance covers it for about 6 pounds / month.

u cant ring them up after the first year asking them how u use iwork .etc , not really a problem if you have eyes, as you can read how to do stuff / google :)

got mine on student edu, still waiting for deliver, 1st aug sigh.. :apple:

4. iStudentUK, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

The warranty applies from day 1. However, it can take a while for it to appear on Apple's warranty check here. (Took ~9 weeks for mine to update). Moreover, Apple emails you after 90 days to let you know the student warranty details.

As to advantages and disadvantages check the link in my sig for details.

This hasn't been my experience. I think people get confused as the free warranty only has 1 year phone support, and some people think that means you can't phone Apple to arrange collection. However, you can still phone them about hardware issues, just not software. Apple picked up my gf's Mac without question and delivered it back for free.

5. JamieVB macrumors newbie

cool good to know, rang apple 3 times to triple confirm i got the 3 yr warranty on it, also says University gift card on my invoice keeping that in a very safe place :), they should really put 3 yr student warranty on the invoice tho its kinda annoying.

6. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Mine hasn't activated yet either.

What happens if I sell it to someone not in uni?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Warranty follows the computer, not the owner.

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I knew that, just unsure if it was different as its a HE warranty not standard.

9. JamieVB macrumors newbie

actually from what apple told me on the phone, is only if i bought the applecare was it transferable the warranty was bound to me personally and not the computer past the 1 standard year.
    this is what apple education phone sales told me. as a reason i may want to upgrade to applecare

10. shadowjeff macrumors regular

Just wondering does this 3 year uni warranty only apply to the UK edu?

11. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

As far as I know it is unique to the UK. Apple has special arrangements here.

12. Hackfix21 macrumors member

free 3y warranty T&C

Hi,

Just bought a 13'' Air with educational discount over the phone. The guy confirmed that there is a free 3-year warranty, but it doesn't say anything in the order email.

I'd like to have the relevant T&C in writing - does anyone have the up to date link to the educational T&C that spell out the 3-y warranty? I followed the links given in other posts but they don't seem to be up to date anymore, they just lead either to the general educational store page or to the order configuration screen.

NB on the educational order configuration screen, under "service and support" it now no longer seems to mention the 3 year warranty, contrary to what others have posted. It now just seems to say:

"Every Mac comes with complimentary telephone technical support for 90 days from your Mac purchase and a one-year limited warranty. With the AppleCare Protection Plan, you can extend your service coverage to three years from the computer's purchase date. You can call Apple's award-winning technical support experts as often as you like and get your questions answered. And if you need repair service, we offer convenient service options around the world."

Have they abolished the 3 year warranty or are they just even more secretive about it now?

13. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

You get an email about it a month or two later. Trust me, I just got mine for my education discount iMac in the UK.

14. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

If you log into the Apple Online Education store and click the terms and conditions link at the bottom it says all Macs have a 3 year warranty in section 10.1.1.

As Ubuntu said you'll get an email in about 90 days, and Apple's online warranty check will update by then as well.

More details in the link in my sig.

15. qwerf123 macrumors regular

I would get the apple care as it's only £48 (or whatever currency you use) for students because in case you need repairs done and you can't make it to an Apple Store, Apple care support will still help you without charging you for the phone call for their technical help before organising a repair.

Not sure if this is true, but the apple store told me, to also take it as in case the store can't repair it as some repairs can't be done by them, I can call their support instead.
    I did think that their store could send devices off for repair so think that may be some lie I was told.

16. Hackfix21 macrumors member

thanks for pointing me to the T&C link! That looks pretty clear.

17. vodouman, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2011

vodouman macrumors regular

It is free, you don't need to buy it or add it to the cart or anything. The details will get emailed to you after you get your Mac (obviously provided you order from the Apple Uni store or equivalent education store).

Contrary to the rubbish people spout about it only being valid whilst you're in university it is seen on the system as standard Apple Care warranty and will count for 3 years.

It isn't £48.00. The £48.00 extra you pay is for phone support. The 3 year warranty comes as standard.

18. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I don't know where this comes from. My gf had a fault with her Mac and had the student warranty, she phoned the normal Apple number and they arranged to pick it up and then dropped it back. No charge at all. As I understand it the lack of phone support after one year means they won't help with software issues.

19. qwerf123 macrumors regular

OK, my bad.
    The Apple Store must have told me a load of bull when I went to their store.
    Think i'll return it!

20. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

They often do! Lots of people get conflicting rubbish from them. Someone on here was recently told the student warranty expires when you graduate unless you upgrade to full AppleCare!

Incidentally, you don't usually get a free student warranty if you buy in store, only online/phone. If you got it in store it's a good job you paid the £48!

21. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

The big guy with the crazy beard in the Glasgow store told me this. None of the other staff had heard about the free 3 year warranty at all.

22. cowboya macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm this? Seems that Apple has changed it back to 1-year warranty for UK Edu buyers, and £48 is needed to extend to the 3 year warranty according to the website. I need to get a Macbook Air and not sure if I should pay the extra £48 if the 3-year warranty is already included?

23. Peteyy macrumors newbie

Peteyy

I used online chat and spoke to someone and they said it was 3 years parts and 1 year phone. You should prob double check just to make sure tho :)

24. cowboya macrumors newbie

I think they just changed it though with the new Macbook Air launch. Every written evidence of the 1-year warranty is on the website. Even the product page on the UK Edu website for AppleCare says that:
    http://store.apple.com/uk-edu/product/APPLECAREMBA-102582?mco=MTYzNjAwMzk#overview

However, only words of mouth and comments from people in this forum saying that it is still 3 years. I'm guessing those who bought the new Macbook Air from Edu stores are still yet to receive their AppleCare paperwork?

25. Peteyy, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

Peteyy macrumors newbie

Peteyy

Yep I thougt they had too but when I spoke to them online they said otherwise, its probs best to give them a call and see tho!

I bought mine instore in the end with the applecare because I wanted it fast :D And wasnt sure what the policy is when you sell it on with HE warrenty.

Perhaps someone who has bought theirs online can comment, I read somewhere a user had written a guide of the UK HE warrenty and it takes like 3-4 weeks for it to process :/ Oh 90 days it says above :D