Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Canadian Pacific North Wilderness
Reactions: byke

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I successfully installed most of those

I tried:
- ITV-Player.bundle
- 4oD.bundle

I have had the same issue.
Been able to install them and seen them appear in the Plex app etc.But when it comes to loading them and playing them it just says no content available.

Given that other channels work on Plex (bbc etc) this must have more to do with these add on's being out of date.

I just wish the group that made Auntie App would do the same thing for 4 and ITV.
As it may help push these channels along in their implementation or give an alternative.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
So got my Apple TV and sure enough, the quality isn't great but it's watchable. No idea why it's so poor on the TV vs the app. The adds on All 4 are unbearable.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
So got my Apple TV and sure enough, the quality isn't great but it's watchable. No idea why it's so poor on the TV vs the app. The adds on All 4 are unbearable.

I believe All4 is in 1080p on Sky, but it's hyper compressed 480p on everything else. As with ITV Hub and My5, it's clearly designed for tiny phone screens. None of them are usable on a TV.

At least iPlayer is finally moving to 4K HDR, albeit slowly. Watching Wimbledon and Planet Earth 2 in 4K was a real game changer, it makes going back to old 720p iPlayer very difficult. It's too bad the Apple TV is denied all of the 4K iPlayer content.

Reactions: nol2001

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
I'd not realised that at all, not good news!

The BBC is focusing on smart TVs for now, although they have just added support for the PS4 Pro. Not all devices support the BBC's choice of HDR format however, so they get an SDR 4K instead. The ATV is one of the devices lacking the required HDR format. (Hybrid Log Gamma, known as HLG. It's designed to support live broadcasts, something other HDR formats are incapable of)

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Me too

I really wanted to find a 1 device does everything.

My TV apps are too slow / un-reliable and i can't afford to upgrade my TV every year. Its UHD HDR samsung 8 series.

I was hoping the ATV4K would get more dev time from the content providers. Perhaps not, it has a lot of potential.

Just want 1 device that supports everything. Netflix/Amazon/Iplayer/ITV/4OD/NowTV

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
Me too

I really wanted to find a 1 device does everything.

My TV apps are too slow / un-reliable and i can't afford to upgrade my TV every year. Its UHD HDR samsung 8 series.

I was hoping the ATV4K would get more dev time from the content providers. Perhaps not, it has a lot of potential.

Just want 1 device that supports everything. Netflix/Amazon/Iplayer/ITV/4OD/NowTV

It may get there eventually. All4 is coming, as is a new Now TV app. It may take a hardware bump to get iPlayer in 4K HLG however, as it will with YouTube 4K HDR/HLG.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
The ITV player apps always crashes in the middle of a programme on my Apple TV.

The ITV app isn't great. I have experienced the odd crash too. My biggest annoyance is ads continuing to play in the background after a commercial break.

Out of all catchup apps, only the BBC app is tolerable from a UI and reliability point of view. They should takes notice of the YouTube app which is good at surfacing content that interest me.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The ITV app isn't great. I have experienced the odd crash too. My biggest annoyance is ads continuing to play in the background after a commercial break.

Out of all catchup apps, only the BBC app is tolerable from a UI and reliability point of view. They should takes notice of the YouTube app which is good at surfacing content that interest me.
It was working ok yesterday. I managed 6 episodes of coronation street without a crash. I wonder if it’s a coincidence that I cancelled my subscription yesterday. No subscription and there’s no crashes. Subscribe to the Ad free version and you can’t even get through a single tv show without multiple crashes.

Yeah the BBC app works really well.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
I only use the TV app to check up on a few favourites along the lines of Family Guy etc. When I do use it, it does not stutter or drop. No subscription, just signed in as per request to be able to watch.

Find that annoying, C4 does that as well.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
It was working ok yesterday. I managed 6 episodes of coronation street without a crash. I wonder if it’s a coincidence that I cancelled my subscription yesterday. No subscription and there’s no crashes. Subscribe to the Ad free version and you can’t even get through a single tv show without multiple crashes.

Yeah the BBC app works really well.

I still experienced the odd crash when subscribed to watch Love Island ad free. *I know, shame on me*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.