UK Customers - O2 or Carphone Warehouse - 3G S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fluffer, Jun 17, 2009.

1. fluffer macrumors member

How many UK customers (either with O2 now, or not) are going to go straight to O2 to upgrade/buy new on Friday (may involve queueing and possibly not having your model) or pre-ordering from Carphone, definitely getting your preferred model and having it delivered to your house?

As prices are fixed for either option, I'm still undecided. CP option means staying in, O2 option means the (relative) excitement of going to the store to collect.

2. oililymad macrumors 6502

oililymad

for me the decision was not about staying in getting the preferred model or queueing.
    it was about not having anything to do with CPW customer service.

so o2 here, far far far superior to cpw imo.

3. freeman24 Guest

got mine from mobiles.co.uk which its owned by CPW. Been confirmed that i will be getting the phone friday morning :D

4. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I went with CPW for no reason in particular but I'm busy on Friday and my wife is at home so the delivery option was better.

5. fluffer thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the heads-up oililymad. I've been with O2 for many years and have always been happy with their Customer Services, so you may have decided for me. :)

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Seems you're missing out the option to go to an Apple store :cool:

7. haydn! macrumors 6502a

When I finished with Three earlier in the year I signed up to O2 Simplicity directly through O2 to carry me over a few months.... so for this reason, and ease I will no doubt be upgrading directly through O2.

I'm not sure whether I'll visit an O2 store on Friday though, I may just order over the phone on Friday and wait a few extra days

8. Radioman macrumors regular

Quite, they are open at 8am Friday and can do PAYG, new sales and upgrades in store as they are directly linked to 02's system.

9. oililymad macrumors 6502

oililymad

if you are unsure try a test call to cpw customer services..
    that should put you off for life.
    i was with them from when they were tiny, they were ok then but they got big utterly rubbish and i went to o2 who have always always been superb to me.
    thats why i am going to the o2 store on friday. i KNOW i will get the phone i want in the colour i want.
    their phone support is very good too. insurance amazing -- i called to say i had washed my sons phone in the washing machine at about 3pm they delivered a new one next morning 9.00 am .

10. AppleUser2 macrumors member

I ordered the iPhone yesterday at the CPW and will collect at the store. Not sure how much of a line there will be - I suggested that they create two - one for those who have pre-bought and one for those who have not!

11. deanj macrumors newbie

After getting my last one from Carphone Warehouse I'd deffo say go direct to O2 or the Apple store.

Although I didn't have to queue at CPW now I think i'd have rather waited in the massive queue at O2 because it was one moments after activating my phone I started getting calls offering me insurance and stuff from dodgy companies.

Now a year into my contract in the last month I must have had 30 calls saying my contract is due for renewal and wanting me to change my phone. Most were from the same company and I've threatened to call ofcom about the repeat calls.

12. smr macrumors 6502a

It will be the AppleStore for my upgrade (8GB 1st Gen -> 32GB 3G S) at 8am Friday morning.

I think O2 are better than CPW, but no where near as good as Apple!

13. FrogTastic macrumors regular

FrogTastic

Im in two minds over the 3GS, is it really going to be much better than the 3G once the 3.0 OS is released?

14. Radioman macrumors regular

Difficult call if you have a 3G, but for those (like me) with the original iPhone it's a no brainer. Imagine, I have had to manage for over 18 months with EDGE (virtually non-existent in the UK) and no GPS!

15. FrogTastic macrumors regular

FrogTastic

I guess, but i just wonder if O2 is going to drop the pay-ins later on the year, once the hype dies.

16. WayneMagic macrumors newbie

Hmm i;m not sure what to do, i'm starting to get a head ache..

I rang CPW regards the pre-order text they sent me. THey had all my details on their system as I got my 2G phone with them November 2007. So my 18 months was up in April.

I was told that only new contracts could pre-order and I couldn't pre-order because I needed an Upgrade? Is this correct?

Surely everyone who is pre-ordering from CPW on this forum isn't a new customer?

I was told that he would ring me back in 2 days?

I'm not sure what to do now. I live in London so I have lots of options.

I really really need a new phone, I blew mine up a month ago when trying to change the screen...:(

I've been using an old nokia with snake II, its killing me.

17. FrogTastic macrumors regular

FrogTastic

Pretty difficult to go back to good old Nokia, from an iphone

18. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

19. fluffer thread starter macrumors member

@Radioman, I was led to believe by O2 staff that the 3G S wasn't available on PAYG?

20. oililymad macrumors 6502

oililymad

there is no confirmation form apple that you will be able to upgrade in an apple store.
    i have just had an online chat ( with lots of typos lol) to ascertain this.
    if you want me to post it let me know.

21. smr macrumors 6502a

Post please

22. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

I wouldn't buy anything from CPW.

Even if O2 were out of stock, I would rather wait than use CPW.

23. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

This page hints at being able to upgrade in an Apple store, but it's by no means clear! I guess it depends on whether their systems are ready in time?

24. oililymad macrumors 6502

oililymad

Hi, my name is Carla H. Welcome to Apple!
    Good afternoon
    please can you tell me if i can upgrade an o2 contract currently ready for upgrade on an ipne tarriff to the new 3gs on friday in an apple store or whether i need to go to o2?
    hi
    I recommend that you contact O2 about that.
    o2 say contact you
    I see.
    to ask whther you will be doing upgrades
    Let me see if there is other information.
    thanks
    One moment please.
    there is a lot of speculation online at macrumours etc about whether or not this is possible.
    Unfortunately we do not support the information one MacRumours
    i know, but i thoght if i asked you and o2 direct then you would know
    I see
    One moment while I check those details for you.
    i simply need a yes or no defintive answer on whether i can upgrade at n aple store or not
    *an apple
    Please let me check.
    kk
    Thank you
    There is no information available about that at this time.
    you see this is the problem.
    how can i know what to do if there is no information, its wednesday afternoon.
    release is friday 8am
    One moment please.
    I am double checking information thanks so much for your patience.
    thanks you.
    *thank
    I have confirmed that there is no information about that at this time.
    I am sorry that this is an inconvenience to you.
    well it is really,
    do you know when this information will be available
    We learn about information when Apple makes formal public announcements, and not before. By withholding comment, Apple hopes to protect customers from making decisions based on information that is incomplete, inaccurate, or subject to change before the formal announcement. Apple believes this is the best way to ensure that all customers are treated fairly.
    oh right.. i only wanted to know where i could upgrade, as some people had been told they could at an aplle store others differently, clearly some policy on this must have been implemented, i would far rather come to an apple store than an o2 one.
    but i appreciate you have nothing to tell me.
    i will be back tomorrow.
    You are so welcome.
    Have a great day.
    i will be saving this chat if thats ok
    Thank you for visiting the Apple Store. We appreciate your business. If you would like more help, please chat with us again.
    Your chat session has ended, if you require further assistance, please wait a few moments and try chatting with us again.

25. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

It will definitely be available. Look here