UK HE Applecare - no longer free?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aniseedvan, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

Just browsing the HE store - albeit from off Uni network - and the options for a 13" rMBP list AppleCare at £139.20 - no mention of uplift to full 3yrs telephone support as it used to be.

Is it a case that this UK perk has now gone, and it's just at a discounted price from the full £199?

2. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

Further Education (university & teachers) AppleCare is £49, discounted from £199, however the Higher Education discount is lower, £139.20 sounds about right.

If you aren’t in a university network, you will get the lower discount bracket.

3. Sheza, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014

Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

I would call or ask via live chat about this. Good perk it was.

Although my understanding is that this was NOT AppleCare, so it wouldn't be given as AppleCare. Also, make sure you're on the full education store. It has a bunch of numbers after edu in the URL. if it's just plain http://store.apple.com/uk-edu/ then it's not the full discount.

EDIT:

Went on to the full store and see this:
    APPLECARE PROTECTION PLAN UPLIFT MACBOOK/MACBOOK AIR/MACBOOK PRO 13" (HE CONTRACT) [+ £48.00]

"Every new Mac purchased from the Apple Store for Higher Education comes with complimentary telephone technical support for one year from your Mac purchase date and three years of repair coverage. With the AppleCare Protection Plan Uplift (AdditionalTelephone Technical Support), you can extend your telephone technical support to three years from the computer's purchase date"

So you get 3 years warranty, and the uplift is £49 for two years of telephone support.

I have a question of my own: If I don't get the AppleCare and have a technical question, I can just go to a genius bar for free right?

4. Aniseedvan thread starter macrumors 65816

OK thanks, sounds like it's still the same then.

The old links you could discover (e.g. http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000751) seem to have been retired since we got the MBA a couple of years back - my husband is the one working at the OU - I'll have to get him to log in.

----------

Yes, I believe I asked this two years ago when I bought my Air. Touch wood I've not needed it, but I'm pretty certain that you could make a genius appointment and if it still needed to be repaired it wouldn't cost anything.

5. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

Thanks for the answer.

If you just need to look around the store you can use any of the proper numbers (that University number seems to be expired for some reason).

Here's a working one for you.

6. Aniseedvan thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, the discount is much better through that link. I sincerely hope the OU one is still as good, oddly I tried going through the apple store and I wants me to register for something called unidays? More hoops than it used to be!

7. mpe macrumors regular

I've just bought a rMBP through HE store and when I click "check my service and support coverage" in About This Mac I get "Estimated Expiration Date: 10 August 2015" (hardware repairs and service). Do you now if they update it later?

Also I've never seen the confirmation of the 3yrs coverage except on the AppleCare uplift link in the shop.

8. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

The one I gave is the Unidays link, a separate student discounts service similar to NUS Extra except you don't need for pay for a card and it's online only bar a few random in-store promotions from places. Mind you I have had a UniDays account for over a year and I am not yet a Uni student, Sixth Form was enough.

I would contact them about this!

9. Aniseedvan thread starter macrumors 65816

When I got my air two years ago the AppleCare didn't come through for a couple of months - got the laptop on 22/7 and the email showed up 6/9. Admittedly I don't think I checked the status on the website before then. If you can see the 3 year coverage on the order you should be good, if in doubt give them a ring.

10. Giev, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

Giev macrumors member

In a nutshell:
    - Free 3 year apple care (hardware warranty basically) is included "IF" you order online through HE store. It only has limited phone support (software related issues) though. This might also apply if you order over the HE sales number (not sure)

- You will get an email from apple within 90 days Letting you know that your cover has been extended to 3 years (not sure about the wording, but essentially they tell you you have +2=3 years now). It wont appear on the online look up tool immidiately after the purchase.

- The HE AppleCare Uplift is to extended the phone support part only. The rest is already included.

11. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

I personally don't see much of a point to AppleCare here in Europe... Consumer protection laws mean that Apple has to fix faults within about the same time frame as what AppleCare covers and thus the only thing you actually get for that money is phone support. I've heard of people getting their machines fixed for free almost 5 years after purchase even thou they never got AppleCare.

Before anyone mentions accidents, AppleCare is a warranty and warranties don't cover accidents.

12. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

It's been a hassle trying to get things like my dodgy iPhone 5 screen replaced if it's out of warranty. In warranty - no problem free replacement. Out of warranty - sorry that's £180 for a repair. Oh you're asking for consumer law claim? Sorry, I can't see the defect any more. It's minimal. Trivial. No go.

I had to argue in the store for an hour.

I'm not going to get the Applecare telephone support but a free 3 year warranty is welcome.

13. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

Well that's really rubbish customer service... However if that was an actual Apple store it's probably pretty understandible as the repair will be done at their expense.

Here in Finland we don't have any official Apple stores, so all the third party repair shops have to do is check that the problem isn't caused by you mishandling the device (dropping it on the floor or in the toilet etc.), order the parts, fix the device and then forward the bill to Apple.

14. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

Ah I see. Yeah it was an Apple store. He said he saw it, opened it up and found no water damage and obviously the phone was in perfect cosmetic condition. Went back to look up warranty status, whoops! Sorry all of a sudden it's not easy to see. Managers and a 'third opinion' couldn't see it either. Then they made excuses about a screen protector and a scratch causing the issue which is patently impossible. Eventually forwarded it to Engineers. They had a weird name for the engineers, I wish I could remember what it's called.

15. mpe macrumors regular

True. But here in this thread we are talking about complimentary warranty provided for free when you buy from HE shop. I would probably think twice about paying hundreds pounds for the standard one, but when it is free it is no brainer.

I can think the following advantages:
    - There are no doubts if the computer is covered or not. You (or the person who is in the possession of the computer) don't have to provide proofs of purchase, argue about good sale acts, etc.
    - AppleCare is recognised worldwide (or at least in countries with Apple presence) and often the resolution is as easy as walking out of the Apple Store with a brand new Mac.
    - You can claim at any Apple Store no matter if you purchased from Apple or not
    - AppleCare warranty is transferable (and certainly can increase resale value). Whether the standard warranties are transferrable is questionable.
    - It also covers accessories (like Time Capsule) you bought two years before the covered computer

Well, AppleCare+ (the one for iPhone) actually covers accidents. True the standard one is warranty only.

16. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

If you buy it straight from Apple the serial number will be registered to your identity and all you need is to prove your identity. When I took my 2007 Macbook Pro in with the Nvidia fault they checked the serial number, saw that the registered owner's name matched with the one I gave and then just rant with it.

Apple's standard insurance is worldwide and when you're traveling, you're probably going to have travel insurance that covers stuff like this unless you're an idiot and went to end up in serious debts if you fall it or are in an accident.

You can point out about the local legal implementation of the EU consumer protection directives in any EU country and when you're traveling you're going to have travel insurance like I mentioned.

It's not like you need to transfer laws that protect you to the next owner...

Same laws also apply to accessories.

Well that's a form of insurance then.

17. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I actually DO see the point of AppleCare.

As long as I don't abuse my Mac, I get no questions asked repair.

Contrast that to the sale of goods act in the UK. After 6 months, the onus is on me to prove that the fault is as a result of a manufacturing defect (Apple extend this to one year as part of their limited warranty). This may include getting an independent report at my cost. For known issues like nVidia graphics cards, that's fine, because Apple knows about it. But what about if your hard drive dies? Prove that one! With what they charge for that kind of report, AppleCare is quite reasonable and will pay for itself should anything go wrong.

18. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

Well then I suppose you shouldn't take it to an Apple store, but directly to a third party certified repair shop because they don't have a vested interest in proving that the damage was not a manufacturing defect. It's pretty much the opposite as they're more likely to get the business if they prove it's a defect as people are more likely to go for a free (i.e Apple paid) fix rather than one they have to pay out of pocket for.

19. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

You can't do that under the Sales of Goods Act. The contract is with the seller, Apple Stores will deal with Apple Store Online purchases but that's it.

20. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

More information about Apple's stance on EU Law and AppleCare is available here: https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

I think Apple are taking it seriously. They mention EU Law quite a lot on the website, packaging and on the phone.

21. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

Well that may be U.K law, but here in Finland it's the manufacturer/importer that's responsible for the device lasting at least a reasonable amount of time without faults, not the retailer.

22. gerasimos33, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014

gerasimos33 macrumors newbie

UK HE Applecare is sent to you after a couple of weeks that you purchase your mac. That's what happened when I purchased a mac mini last September and a 13 rMBP last May.

It is AppleCare Base Warranty. This is from my Warranty:

'' The AppleCare Base Warranty is a uniquely integrated service and support solution that
    extends your built-in service and support coverage from date of purchase as follows:
    • 1 year phone support / Apple Applications Support (*)
    • 3 years Hardware Warranty Parts Labour (*) ''

23. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

A third party retailer will tell you to take it back to who you bought it from. The contract is with them (whoever sold it to you). ALL retailers will need you to prove it wasn't a manufacturing defect. After one year (if it's not got AppleCare) then the retailer you bought the item from pays for the repairs, not Apple (unless you bought it directly from Apple of course). This is why in the UK at least, AppleCare is worth the money. It avoids the hassle.

24. laurihoefs, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014

laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

No, the Finnish Consumer Protection act is quite similar to the UK Sale of Goods Act. The seller is primarily responsible for the quality of the sold goods for a 'reasonable period of time'. Whatever is deemed reasonable depends on the goods, with computers that's usually two years.

The EU warranty you mention means manufacturers have to offer the same warranties across all EU countries, and respect warranties of goods purchased from other EU countries. It's not the same as consumer protection acts of the individual EU countries. The consumer protection acts were also harmonized across EU, meaning the consumer protection laws are now similar in all EU countries. But those laws still only apply in the country you purchased the goods in question from.

See these (sorry, in Finnish only): Valoa takuun ja virhevastuun hämärään välimaastoon, Virhevastuu ja takuu kuluttajatavaran kaupassa and Kuluttajansuojalaki

Here are some in English: Consumer Protection Act (PDF) and Consumer protection

Even if you appeal to the Consumer Protection Act, it's actually your responsibility to show there was a manufacturing defect that caused the failure. This can take a long time (several weeks), and there might be initial payments involved (these will be refunded if a manufacturing defect is found). If the seller can't/won't fix the issue (e.g. is no longer in business), it is possible to escalate the issue up the supply chain, but this takes even more time and effort, and still requires proof of a pre-existing defect.

Some resellers are very helpful with consumer protection claims, some require you to jump through hoops. YMMV. If the seller decides to make things difficult, you can make complaints to the Consumer Ombudsman, but this will take a lot of time and effort too.

Traveling insurances have varying levels of coverage, but usually you have to pay more than you would for a basic insurance to get one that fully covers your electronic devices. And you have to pay deductibles, so you may very well end up paying as much as you would for AppleCare. And, while travelling, I would rather use my time for something else than trying to argue with a reseller/service partner over an insurance claim or consumer protection act claim.

Also, AirPort and Time Capsule are covered even if they were purchased up to two years before the computer the AppleCare is tied to. So a four years old Time Capsule could be covered by AppleCare, but not by Consumer Protection Act.

Most likely you'll save a lot of time and effort if you get AppleCare, and you may even save money.

P.S. Sorry for the gazillion edits. I'm writing this on a phone, and had to save many unfinished versions, as Safari keeps occasionally crashing while I write...

25. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

It's still the same as it was. I just bought another 13" MBP and the 3 year HE apple care was emailed (and mailed) shortly after.

You can still uplift for the phone support for £49.