[UK] How are you getting your iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nevasleep, Jun 10, 2010.

?

Which route?

1. O2 (Upgrade)

18 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. O2 (New contract)

6 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. O2 (PAYG)

31 vote(s)
    43.1%
  4. Orange (Upgrade/Contract)

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. Orange (PAYG)

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. Vodafone (Upgrade/Contract)

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Vodafone (PAYG)

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Other...

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Nevasleep macrumors member

Thought I'd start a UK version:D

The poll options are just a guess at what networks/options we might see.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Pre ordering from apple. O2 payg. Popping my contact card in. Selling 3GS with unactivated payg chip.

3. Jeeves macrumors newbie

Jeeves

Hey guys this will be my first iPhone and I am wondering what is the best deal. Right now I am on PAYG 02 but need to get on a contract before uni as staying on PAYG is getting quite expensive. So for the iPhone i have these options, assuming price stay the same and Im looking at the 16gb model.

1. Go on contract, Which will £35 x 18 months + £149.00 for the phone = £779

2. Buy in on PAYG with iphone simplicity, £449 + £15 x 18 = £719

So over 18 months it will be cheaper to do option 2 and buy on PAYG and also i wont be tied down to an 18 month contract so this time next year when the new iPhone 5 comes out I can sell my iPhone 4 and get the new one.

One question is that if I were to go down the contract route after 18 months when the contract was up and the new iPhone 5 was out, would 02 allow me to upgrade for free or at a better discount, or would I be treated just like a new customer starting a new contract, as I am thinking why anyone would want to go on contract?

Does anyone see a fault in my plan?

Thanks for any help :):)

4. The-Barron macrumors member

The-Barron

o2 PAYG as i still have 6 months left on my 3GS contract, and dont see the "special offer" as all that special £120 to cancel contract, then to buy a new phone n sign up for another contract.

5. gravityfall macrumors member

I will pre-order with apple and go with o2 using a PAYG simplicity 12 month contract.

6. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

For the majority of people that sold their 3GS (mine went for £340 cash) we can have the phone for the same price (contract price) not have the commitment and get more minutes for less money on simplicity or Tesco mobile (500 mins, unlimited web and text incl MMS) A far better deal and in a better position for iPhone 4GS

7. iSimon macrumors regular

O2 PAYG pre-ordered from Apple (via quidco for cashback), officially unlocked via a separate O2 PAYG card and then selling 3GS + unused O2 PAYG iPhone card. Although I'll continue to use my giffgaff SIM (£10/month for 100 mins, unlimited texts, unlimited data), which wouldn't need the iPhone unlocking from O2 - I'll be getting it unlocked anyway for potential future flexibility and for increasing future resale value.

8. jw12345678 macrumors member

jw12345678

1. Go on contract, Which will £35 x 18 months + £149.00 for the phone = £779

2. Buy in on PAYG with iphone simplicity, £449 + £15 x 18 = £719

So over 18 months it will be cheaper to do option 2 and buy on PAYG and also i wont be tied down to an 18 month contract so this time next year when the new iPhone 5 comes out I can sell my iPhone 4 and get the new one.

Does anyone see a fault in my plan?

Thanks for any help :):)[/QUOTE]

Firstly for the extra £50 over 18 months you wouldn't have to pay for calls or texts as they would likely be included in a £35 per month contract. Secondly, you'll still be able to sell your phone in a year, and (as O2 are already offering today) you'll get a pro rata discount of any new phone if you are still within your contract.

9. Nevasleep thread starter macrumors member

Guess I should have added Three and T-mobile.

5 networks in the UK, nuts! :D Can't wait for June 15th, somebody has to undercut O2.

10. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

They will all offer the same tariffs and same price for the phone, they will all just compete on the added extras and customer preference.

11. 007dav91 macrumors member

im going to pre order for the 1st time and can anybody tell me whos more reliable on posting the phone so i would get it on launch day, so Apple or the network provider.

12. Deako macrumors 6502

Agree. The pricing will be fairly controlled, it will all be down to customer preference and retention.

Unfortunately when Three's marketing employees call me i cant use the fact that they dont sell the iPhone as an excuse any more.

No matter which way i try and work it out, staying with O2 is just the cheapest option for me. I get 30% discount on my tariff, so if i take a 24 month contract to keep the phone price low, its just the best deal. Hopefully, the iPhone 4 will be worth enough in 12 months to make enough for an iPhone 5 on PAYG.

13. nlr macrumors 6502

I was wondering if I was going to buy the phone for £600 on payasyougo how would I get 3g coverage on it in the UK? and how much will it cost me per month? what will I exactly get?

regards,
    nlr

14. Deako macrumors 6502

Depends which network provider you choose to go with as to which network provider you would buy it from and which out of all the iPhone payg deals you prefer. Wait till the 15th to see what the pricing is, then make an informed decision from there based on which network you want to go with.

15. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

has any of the networks actually announced the tariff's/handset prices on contract/payg yet?

i know o2 have announced £20/month to buy yourself out of contract, but other than that, is there anything more substantial?

16. Nevasleep thread starter macrumors member

^^ No I don't think so.

The 15th June is when they should start advertising their prices.

17. DIABLOW macrumors member

Guys. I am coming to uk in august. Can I buy the factory unlock iPhone 4 from the apple store?

18. freep macrumors member

You cant buy one unlocked from a UK carrier but you can buy one on PAYG from o2 and then officially unlock for £15 credit (see http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html)

19. Hadron macrumors regular

Not unless they change the way they work - currently they sell them locked to whichever network you specify.

Since we now have more networks saying they'll offer iPhone 4 than there were for the 3GS you might imagine it will change, but I'd not bet on it. Wait another week or two and we'll know...

20. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I wonder why O2 PAYG is the most chosen option :rolleyes:

21. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

How are people quoting handset prices in this thread? I didn't think they were released yet?

22. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Basing off current prices and history of prices.

23. g33 macrumors 6502

whats the best sim only package?

currently have simplicity with o2 but want to go orange - the packages dont seem as good though....

24. gazzrenn macrumors 6502

gazzrenn

While I kind of agree... o2 didn't have to do anything in terms of a special offer. So for me, I find it to be reasonably generous.

It will at least enable me to be an early adopter again at a reasonable cost.