Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What model are you ordering?

• iPhone 8 64GB

Votes: 46 3.7%
  • iPhone 8 256GB

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • iPhone 8 Plus 64GB

Votes: 80 6.4%
  • iPhone 8 Plus 256 GB

Votes: 58 4.7%
  • iPhone X 64GB

Votes: 366 29.4%
  • iPhone X 256GB

Votes: 573 46.0%
  • None... I am sticking with my current phone

Votes: 107 8.6%

• Total voters

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Thank you. I am probably going to have prune my music by only using purchased music rather than the whole music collection (stuff imported from CDs) as I am already close to deleted as much as I can app wise, something like 12-13GB.

NP, previous post had typo, should have said capacity 256GB (no 128GB X :/).

I’ll never fill it. I’ve only got to 55GB because I have syncd more photos then I need to. But even if I put every photo I have I won’t fill 256GB. One plus I guess is photos memories (which my 2 year old loves) has more content to go on.

Also my wife gets my hand me downs. By the time that time rolls around she’s always managed to fill her phone with pics and is ready for the next step :/ Shes just filled my old 64GB 6S and is ready for my 128GB 7 lol

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
NP, previous post had typo, should have said capacity 256GB (no 128GB X :/).

I’ll never fill it. I’ve only got to 55GB because I have syncd more photos then I need to. But even if I put every photo I have I won’t fill 256GB. One plus I guess is photos memories (which my 2 year old loves) has more content to go on.

Also my wife gets my hand me downs. By the time that time rolls around she’s always managed to fill her phone with pics and is ready for the next step :/ Shes just filled my old 64GB 6S and is ready for my 128GB 7 lol

I should add my X is the 64GB model coming from a 128GB 6S+.

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Everyone who has downgraded to 64GB from something bigger will regret it in my opinion.

Even if you weren’t using 64gb before with the way apps are growing plus photo & video resolutions now it won’t be long before you’re full (or have to delete things and detract from the overall ease of owning a phone like this)

On a side note, it’s nearly 10 weeks now since Apple announced this phone and we’re still scrapping around like this trying to get one.

Reactions: maka344

stringyb92

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2017
Bristol UK
Mine has been delivered to store, but im very close to telling them to keep it. Im just not feeling the excitement and the price is crazy. The sensible side of my says go and buy the 8 plus from Very with 20% off

Reactions: SparklyApple

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Everyone who has downgraded to 64GB from something bigger will regret it in my opinion.

Even if you weren’t using 64gb before with the way apps are growing plus photo & video resolutions now it won’t be long before you’re full (or have to delete things and detract from the overall ease of owning a phone like this)

On a side note, it’s nearly 10 weeks now since Apple announced this phone and we’re still scrapping around like this trying to get one.

This is entirely Apple’s fault for trying to gouge its customers by failing to provide a 128GB model.

Reactions: darthbane2k

konicky

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
This is entirely Apple’s fault for trying to gouge its customers by failing to provide a 128GB model.
Base at £999 should have been 128GB but this is Apple we are talking about. Can't expect them to provide value for money now that they're a lifestyle brand !!

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Base at £999 should have been 128GB but this is Apple we are talking about. Can't expect them to provide value for money now that they're a lifestyle brand !!

I am sorely tempted to return it as just don’t think I can fit the contents of my 6S+ onto a 64GB model & I am not feeling the desire to shell out even more for the 256GB model.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
And Jesus wept! No DPD text giving 1h slot and they claim to have ‘carded’ at 12:19. Local Depot now closed and been on hold on the main number for 25 mind

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009

You could also argue that in the age of streaming and cloud storage the days of hoarding entire libraries on your devices are coming to an end. Every use case varies so you can’t say ‘all’ will regret it.
I went from 128GB 7 to 64GB X. There is no 128GB option for X because Apple deliberately pulled a dick move.
The 64GB works for me because I was already paying for 2TB if iCloud which deals with files and photos/videos. Apple Music handles the audio.
But if I didn’t have these options then I may very well consider 256

Tosic

macrumors regular
May 19, 2015

Nope I dont take many pictures, only have apps on my phone which I use regularly. I’m sure I’ll be fine. Phone is up and running and I have 45gb free, I’m sure I’ll survive.

Reactions: snarlz

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
You could also argue that in the age of streaming and cloud storage the days of hoarding entire libraries on your devices are coming to an end. Every use case varies so you can’t say ‘all’ will regret it.
I went from 128GB 7 to 64GB X. There is no 128GB option for X because Apple deliberately pulled a dick move.
The 64GB works for me because I was already paying for 2TB if iCloud which deals with files and photos/videos. Apple Music handles the audio.
My photos are stored in iCloud also and set to optimise device storage. They still take up 27GB on my phone.

13GB of messages, 8GB of mail, we're at 48gb already and all these things are constantly growing...

Yes I could delete some old messages but I actually like having my old messages to hand, easily searched. Same goes for Mail, if I'm only storing 30 days worth of mail and have to open another third party app or my laptop to see older stuff then that's detracting from the core ease-of-use on my device.

64GB is usable but with sacrifices. If I'm paying £1000+ for something then I don't want to be making sacrifices.

Scontig

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
United Kingdom
I think my 64GB will be fine. I'm not even half full yet. I like to have a good clean out of apps every once in a while anyway and I could free up more space by deleting videos that I'll never watch again.

Then there's the iCloud to store the surplus on if I want to.

mattysmith118

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2016
South West Wales

Photos and videos get compressed so you're probably not using as much space as you think. Some files still gonna be big but not as much as you're thinking

Also thats why you back stuff up etc
[doublepost=1511012145][/doublepost]
My photos are stored in iCloud also and set to optimise device storage. They still take up 27GB on my phone.

13GB of messages, 8GB of mail, we're at 48gb already and all these things are constantly growing...

Yes I could delete some old messages but I actually like having my old messages to hand, easily searched

13GB of messsages??

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
DPD have been an absolute joke today. Missed them as no delivery slot given and depot closes at 10:30am. Waited on phone for almost 40 mins to be told they have no alternative number for depot (don’t believe that for a second) and that nothing can be done. Can’t wait in on Monday either so will have to leave work early and make a 50 mile round trip to get to depot. Honest ta ****!

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
I should add my X is the 64GB model coming from a 128GB 6S+.

At some point i'll be doing the same (stepping down a storage level on all our devices) and doing the inevitable cull. Just keep pushing it out to the next update and thinking ok i'll pay for the next storage level this time :D

The longer we leave it, the more pain we're building up for ourselves. In my case the biggest issue is the Mrs, not looking forward to the cull on her digital hording :D But I'm not paying for 512GB in a couple of years time (NB I said that about 256GB but Apple screwed me by removing 128GB, atleast thats my excuse :/)
[doublepost=1511012650][/doublepost]NB, probably a better place to ask, but whats the best duplicate detector people have found for mac app store? Tried a couple of the top rated ones but suspect they aren't matching images at all, just filename/size/EXIF.
[doublepost=1511012793][/doublepost]
DPD have been an absolute joke today. Missed them as no delivery slot given and depot closes at 10:30am. Waited on phone for almost 40 mins to be told they have no alternative number for depot (don’t believe that for a second) and that nothing can be done. Can’t wait in on Monday either so will have to leave work early and make a 50 mile round trip to get to depot. Honest ta ****!

You got their App? I've found them to be the best in conjunction with their App. So accurate and many options for local drop off instead (although i'm in London which probably helps).

Tosic

macrumors regular
May 19, 2015
I’m with you, the cloud makes things so much easier. Plus I also have unlimited download on my sim only deal so no need to download music is Netflix programming

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
I’m with you, the cloud makes things so much easier. Plus I also have unlimited download on my sim only deal so no need to download music is Netflix programming

Only works if internet access is ubiquitous wherever you go. All my music is on Spotify, but I still end up syncing a few GB's for travel abroad/tube/out in the sticks/etc. For Apps the larger ones won't download over mobile internet.

I don't think we're anywhere near the stage where cloud storage is painless. And I live in London, have a NAS, fibre at my home and large mobile data plan so probably an ideal candidate.

Tosic

macrumors regular
May 19, 2015
Only works if internet access is ubiquitous wherever you go. All my music is on Spotify, but I still end up syncing a few GB's for travel abroad/tube/out in the sticks/etc. For Apps the larger ones won't download over mobile internet.

I don't think we're anywhere near the stage where cloud storage is painless. And I live in London, have a NAS, fibre at my home and large mobile data plan so probably an ideal candidate.
Yeah I agree it’s definitely isnt painless yet. I do the same as you and download songs/videos for travel but then if space is an issue I just delete these.

Tosic

macrumors regular
May 19, 2015
What do you currently think to the phone? Did you come from a plus?
I came from a normal iPhone 7, never liked the massive screen. But the X is perfect size, always wanted a screen bigger than the 7 but not as big as the plus. But my overall impressions of the phone are great, Face ID works great and the build quality is brilliant.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
At some point i'll be doing the same (stepping down a storage level on all our devices) and doing the inevitable cull. Just keep pushing it out to the next update and thinking ok i'll pay for the next storage level this time :D

The longer we leave it, the more pain we're building up for ourselves. In my case the biggest issue is the Mrs, not looking forward to the cull on her digital hording :D But I'm not paying for 512GB in a couple of years time (NB I said that about 256GB but Apple screwed me by removing 128GB, atleast thats my excuse :/)
[doublepost=1511012650][/doublepost]NB, probably a better place to ask, but whats the best duplicate detector people have found for mac app store? Tried a couple of the top rated ones but suspect they aren't matching images at all, just filename/size/EXIF.
[doublepost=1511012793][/doublepost]

You got their App? I've found them to be the best in conjunction with their App. So accurate and many options for local drop off instead (although i'm in London which probably helps).

I’ve got another way of reducing my music storage that’s not importing the music videos from iTunes. They are better seen on my iPad anyway. I’ll just have to start using my iPad more, but when I do that I start remembering how slow my original Air has got with recent IOS.

madzo2010

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Belfast

I got a delivery window with DPD with my JL order coming to Belfast last Saturday. I had to go on the DPD.ie site and enter tracking details there.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009

That’s because you have the free space available. There’s a common misconception here that iCloud libraries do very little, the device space consumed by iCloud Photo Library is scalable, it will decrease as and when your device storage shrinks. If you had a 512GB iPhone you will see that iCloud Photo Library will take up more than 27GB on your phone

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
After 6 hours with my 64GB X, I’m seriously impressed. FaceID is fast and works every time. Great to find that it also works with 1Password. Screen is fine and I’m still persevering with True Tone - over time I think I’ll get used to the warmth it brings to the display.

Reactions: Chukwe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.