UK Iphone fans, Why? Why? Why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sealeric, Jan 11, 2008.

1. sealeric macrumors newbie

iphone buyers in the UK, Why? Why? Why?

Before I start, I will add I am a lover of all things Mac and use MACs exclusively in my day to day work, however….

When confronted with the decision to buy an Iphone or not, below is what it’s up against. This package isn’t just an iphone killer, its iphone genocide.

A FREE Nokia 95 on a 18 month 3 x-series tariff (£37 a month)
    Includes 90 video calling minutes
    Mix and match 500 minutes calling time/texts
    Plus £20 voucher to spend on accessories
    A free Slingbox (Yes FREE) I can access my Freeview channels or my Sky channels on my mobile anywhere!
    Unlimited access to Slingbox &/or Orb
    Unlimited Windows Live Messenger
    Unlimited Skype to Skype calls*
    Unlimited data to use on 3g: Web surfing (Yahoo! Search, Yahoo! Go)
    Mobile Mail (Yahoo! Mail, Gmail and other ISPs)
    Podcasts
    Internet browser (Opera) that supports some java and flash

I won’t bore everyone with another comparison of the handsets, but I will mention that the Nokia’s 3g, GPS and a 5MP camera put it miles head in the latest technology front.

Yes, I belive the iphone is a amazing device, however do you really think that an iphone user wont look on in envy as I am watching Sky Sports live on the train on my glorious brandband speed data connection.

Come on iphone fans Why Why Why?

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

My boss has an N95, the battery life is absolutely shocking! Anyway the only reason it is so cheap is probably because of the iPhone.

3. gazzzmoly macrumors regular

i had an n95 before my iphone, it was fiddley to say the least, there was nothing easy on it. 3 are a nightmare service provider ( i bought my wife this exact package)

i love my iphone, so easy to use, the media features are also easy to use

the three n95 can not tether to a wireless network easily.

slingbox is usless if you dont have a decent upload speed at home.

yes the camera isnt ha good as the n95 but it makes up for that in other areas,

come the sdk we will have messenger, skype etc etc

we may even beablle to set up the iphone as a router so we can browse the net on our macs at edge speed :)

the possibilities are endless more people will develop for the iphone the symbian os

and the default software is ten times more stable the the dodgy n95 firmaware

4. calculus Guest

calculus

This iPhone user is not in the slightest bit interested in watching Sky Sports on a phone, so 'Yes' I really do think that.

The iPhone is a good fit for some people, and isn't for others. Not a terribly interesting thought really ...

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

6. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

This subject has been done to death over the last six months; there's nothing here that we don't already know. When the dust settles, I'm sure that Apple will be the first to admit that they're new to this market - particularly in the UK - and they're still learning.

One day I'm sure that the iPhone will be a better, competitively priced package; in the meantime, it's hard to blame anyone for going with a free with contract phone.

7. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Guy in our office just bought one, plasticky feel, shocking button layout on the front, screen is pants, connected to our wireless network OK and then got stuck, would not display a webpage.

Too fiddly to set up, he has had it two weeks and still hasn't got it right yet, I can't watch SkySports when I'm driving!

Overall just does not feel right, iPhone makes me smile each time I use it.:)

Each to his own I guess.

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

so you signed up to post that? Sounds to me like you're trying to convince yourself more than anyone. You enjoy your N95 and I'll enjoy my iPhone.
    Oh, and good luck getting a decent 3G signal on the train!

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I own neither - but I tell you this for free there's no way I'm going near a Nokia phone :D

Say what you want about iPhone. But the way Nokia throws out a new phone every weekend would have me annoyed that I just bought their best, locked into a contract to use it till god knows when.

Sure the iPhone will get upgraded. Oh, and the Nokia doesn't have the iPhone interface or sync with all my sync-able OSX apps :)
    Or look as good, or have iTunes style smart playlists, or play my iTunes video library.

I'd take that over "Sky Sports on the train" anyday :rolleyes:

Oh, and with EyeTV you can record a TV show and watch it anywhere on your local network. Bit of hacking (mac side, not iPhone side) and you can get it working anywhere so long as you have a stable connection.

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Isn't that nokia the one that has the proportions of a brick?

Shove all the technology you want into it, if it's a brick I don't particularly want it in my pocket.

My Sony Ericsson k800i is hardly thin to be fair, but it's not quite a brick.

11. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Enough said.

12. rayward macrumors 68000

Ahhhh, the joy of 3G.

13. calculus Guest

calculus

Bricks are lovely though ...

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Only if they are Roman…

15. calculus Guest

calculus

I have a Victorian one that I'm rather fond of ...

16. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I also have neither but I know which one I want - even considering the deals available.

Southernboy makes a good point and I look on from the sidelines in interest. If a 3G chipset that isn't too power hungry makes its way into the iPhone eventually I will take the plunge.

17. merlinmagician macrumors member

I am a real techie nut who loves all this stuff and whilst I am more of a Mac person because of the way the kit works I would quite easily be a Linux/Microsoft fan if their stuff was as simple and logical to use (Linux is mostly there got a little way to go IMHO).

When Apple entered the market they really wanted to stir things up. A lot the major phone manufacturers were dishing out the same drole handsets with very little between each recursive model. Once Apple announced the iPhone the other manufacturers started to think creatively and this has lead to some really interesting handsets HTC Touch, LG Viewty and the N95.

Would these have come about before the iPhone? Who knows.

The biggest trouble for the manufacturers is the way the mobile market is. Each provider wants to put their specific software on and this interferes with the handset. My wife has an N95 with Vodaphone and the software crashes regularly. That's not Nokia's fault but Vodaphone.

Apple have stated that if you want the iPhone it comes with our software. No customisation etc. In essence telling the providers we know best as software is our business not yours.

Over the next few months/years I think we will see a radical change in the way the manufacturers and the providers work.

For me whilst the iPhone is expensive you are paying for device that is simple, easy to use and works as intended. It's the same as buying an ultra light sports car. They don't have air con or CD players etc but you buy one for the drive not for the extras.

My 2p's worth anywhoo.

18. sealeric thread starter macrumors newbie

I have not decided to purchase the Nokia or the iphone. I was just trying to point out that there are much better mobile plans out there than the UK o2 ones.

I guess I was expecting better from Apple in regards the iphone, but I guess it’s predominantly aimed at the US market. The fact it’s doing so well on the UK EDGE network and with a 2MP phone is testament to the potential of the iphone.

I just can’t bring myself to become an early adopter of out of date technology, at any price.

19. merlinmagician macrumors member

That's really the difference where all the other manufacturers are competing on how many gadgets can we get in a phone.

Apple aren't. They have offered what they consider people need. EDGE is ok for the quick jumping on the net to look something up that I do. Would I want to surf for a long time on it, no.

Apple are competing on the software, interface and the innovation of the device not the nuts and bolts components. Perhaps they were a little caught out by the UK/European market who are quite discerning when it comes to the technology inside the device.

The reason I bought the iPhone was because I was sick of the Pocket PC interface which was clunky at best more like unusable with all the crashes etc. Plus my iPod hard drive met its maker. So for £269 getting a flash based iPod and a phone which works wasn't too bad.

20. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

It's shocking with 3G turned off too. They just tried to pack too much in a phone with a small battery!

21. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Yawn. There's a million threads like this. Get the Nokia.

I love my iPhone. Yes, it's flawed and it isn't cheap but it's a brilliant device. If you use one, you'll see what I mean.

22. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

There, I fixed that for you.

23. thats nice macrumors member

I'd tell you to get the N95 unless you are a fanboy. Personally while apple has a mobile phone on the market, good or not i'll be supporting it over any other mobile phone. Thats just me :)

24. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I'll just add that I'm in no way a fan boy and I still chose the iPhone.

Now if O2 got the act together and gave us more EDGE and Apple got the next big revision of the firmware out then I'd be very happy indeed.

25. sealeric thread starter macrumors newbie

The iphone probably is cutting edge in Kansas