Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crosspjc

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2015
Yes, you are correct. It accepted my US Bank of America card but not my Lloyds TSB UK one...told me to contact the bank!!

How do you get a U.S. Card? Have you got a U.S. Address? Is there a way to get a U.S. Prepaid card?

jannette

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Bishop's Stortford
How do you get a U.S. Card? Have you got a U.S. Address? Is there a way to get a U.S. Prepaid card?

I got mine when I went to the US. You do not have to have a US address but you have to be there in person to open a bank account and then you can have a card to use with it. No, there is no way to get a pre-paid card that I know of.

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
I used it at greggs last week but its a bit fiddly cos in order scan the QR code on the terminal you have to almost bend your wrist upside down

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Norway
I got mine when I went to the US. You do not have to have a US address but you have to be there in person to open a bank account and then you can have a card to use with it. No, there is no way to get a pre-paid card that I know of.

Don't you need a Social Security Number to open an account?

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
Paying for stuff with Watch is cool, but I'll be super excited when I can use it instead of my Oyster :cool:

From someone in the know, you're gonna be waiting a long time for that. Once Apple Pay goes live in the UK you should be able to pay for your journeys using pay as you as go from your payment card but NOT your oyster card

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Norway
From someone in the know, you're gonna be waiting a long time for that. Once Apple Pay goes live in the UK you should be able to pay for your journeys using pay as you as go from your payment card but NOT your oyster card

Isn't Oyster based on NFC? Or is it RFID?

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008

:(

jannette

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Bishop's Stortford
Don't you need a Social Security Number to open an account?
No, they entered me as an Alien and gave me a Social Security number consisting of zeros. It was all very easy and I walked out with a cheque book and paying in book and went back a few days later and my card was waiting. I did deposit about $4000 when opening the account. When I used to sell on eBay, U.S. Buyers used to send me cheques and so I opened an account when we went on holiday to Florida

I get a form each year from the bank which I have to fill in certifying that I am not a resident of the U.S. ......this is for tax purposes.

Nmeyrick

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
My wife is a yank and I'm a supplementary card holder on her credit cards. I have my phone region set to us and have used both cards without issue here in the uk, both on my phone and now my watch. The Bank of America card charges a currency fee but the Amex (delta credit card) has no fee so is actually pretty practical. I wouldn't do it every day but will now and again just to show friends what the future looks like!

The really exciting thing is that it works on standard contact less terminals which most places in London have - as far as the terminal knows is just a regular card. So once they launch with uk banks the takeup should be pretty quick.

I don't think it will work on the tube add it is, since apple pay generates one time token which can't be used to track your entry and exit. I would expect it to work in the bus add you only have to scan on, but when I tried it yesterday I just got a dirty look from the driver and had to scrabble for my oyster...

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
How is the process of opening this stuff in Passbook on the Apple Watch?

Do you have to get it ready?

What if the screen goes to sleep? Does it wake back up at the watchface?

Talk me through it! :)

(I still have upto 4 weeks to wait to get mine :()

You can do it as someone else mentioned by opening the passbook app, but a number of apps let you set up geofences, so my Starbucks pass appears on my watch's notification pull down when I'm near my favourited stores, and the other night, my cineworld ticket showed up 2 hours before the film was due to start. Just raised my wrist, swiped down and tapped the pass. Barcode was scanned in seconds and we were away.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Thanks, just done this, after three attempts it works!

This is what subway said:

Thank you for your email. We've found that there's an issue with Apple's Passbook application, which is causing the connection issue. We are awaiting improvements from Apple to correct this. Please try again in a few days.

In the meantime, please continue to scan your SUBCARD directly from your app.

Please let me know if you require anything further and I hope you continue to enjoy SUBWAY(r).

Kind regards,

Dannielle
SUBCARD(r) Helpdesk

Kind regards,

Dannielle
SUBCARD(r) Helpdesk

Funny how no other app has any problem adding to Passbook. You should write back and ask exactly what about their app is different from all others that causes this problem.

priscilla55

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Falkirk, Scotland
You can do it as someone else mentioned by opening the passbook app, but a number of apps let you set up geofences, so my Starbucks pass appears on my watch's notification pull down when I'm near my favourited stores, and the other night, my cineworld ticket showed up 2 hours before the film was due to start. Just raised my wrist, swiped down and tapped the pass. Barcode was scanned in seconds and we were away.

Just used mine at Cineworld - all worked as you describe and it was indeed scanned in seconds, but needed to add on a few minutes for staff to ooh and ahh as they hadn't seen an Apple watch before...

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
The really exciting thing is that it works on standard contact less terminals which most places in London have - as far as the terminal knows is just a regular card. So once they launch with uk banks the takeup should be pretty quick.

I assume you are limited by the £20 per transaction limit on contact less terminals?

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
That was only with chip and pin cards that had the wireless symbol on their cards, wasn't it set at £20 in case you had you card pinched.

What they should do is have extra security on the Passbook App and allow a max to be spent and agreed by customer.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Using Passbook!

Greggs has an app that allows people to buy food and drink at its bakeries, so I topped up my Greggs account with £10, added the Greggs account to Passbook and used my Watch to pay instead of my phone.

Feel amazing. Like actually buzzing. Felt a bit nervous as there was a queue of people behind me and I wasn't sure it was going to work, but it did. Oh boy did it work.

So now I need to know: What other shops and restaurants over here use Passbook?

I know Starbucks does, and Subway uses it for its loyalty points scheme, but who else? Is there a list somewhere?

List of UK participating retailers that use Passbook apps (that we've discovered so far)

Cineworld - tickets bought through the Cineworld app are added to Passbook for scanning
Costa Coffee - loyalty card only
Greggs - pay for food/drink
Starbucks - pay for food/drink
Subway - loyalty card only

Thanks for posting this. It has actually motivated me to set up Passbook on my phone which I hadn't bothered to do until now. I already had the Costa Coffee and Starbucks apps on my phone but I've added the Greggs and Subway ones too. I've also setup Passbook on my watch with these stores as well and will try them out when I get the opportunity. :)

I also really wish Apple would hurry up in introducing Apple Pay here in the UK too. I realise it may well be a reluctance by certain banks to participate but hopefully Apple can overcome this. :(

Nmeyrick

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Yes, you are correct. UK contactless terminals are geared to only allow transactions up to £20. So even if you are using a U.S. Card, you cannot spend more than £20.

Correct, the terminal doesn't give you the option of contactless if the total is over £20 but note that from September this will increase to £30.

chrishawes

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2008
Bristol
I went to the theatre last night (in Barcelona). My tickets were in PassBook and as such, on my watch.

I was able to use the barcode from PassBook on my watch to get in to the theatre (much to the bemusement of the staff) and again to unlock the door to my stall. All worked flawlessly.

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
As an American now living in England, I use my phone w/Apple Pay as often as I can (since I have an American CC). No foreign tx fees, just converts to whatever the mkt rate is - and for that matter typically friendlier to pay in pounds and then have Cap One convert than to let the store charge in USD (which has been an option on occasion, at a less advantageous rate). Everyone is of course blown away "It's magic!", which is fun - but more importantly, super convenient. That is a big reason (to me) that I also want to get the watch, more ease of use - though the low max charge allowed here can be an annoyance... just need more places to allow contactless. I wasn't even able to use it when I got it in the States as Walgreen's had blocked it and many places still weren't using it yet (which is stupid).

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
Picturehouse Cinemas used to have Passbook for their online tickets but they changed their website and online backend recently and Passbook disappeared. Hopefully it will make a reappearance soon.

It's a real shame the Apple Pay capabilities are taking so long to come to the UK. What with the UK always towing the US line, you would've expected immediate compliance lol!

At least when it does arrive every shop will already have contactless terminals. It's rare to find somewhere that doesn't have contactless in London. Even small independent cafes and newsagents have it these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.