UK mobile operators

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eat me, Jun 11, 2010.

?

which one?

1. O2

54 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. Orange

19 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Vodafone

25 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. T-Mobile

8 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. Three

10 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Tesco

5 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. eat me macrumors member

So, with iPhone 4 looming on the horizon, and thankfully the UK having a choice of quite a few carriers (albeit with barely any difference in pricing or policies), who will you go/stay with?

You can reason your choice in the comments: is it the coverage? The service? The plan? Something else? You can even include which plan would you go specifically.

Vote! And hopefully it will clear a lot of questions/discussion in the future.

2. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

Staying with Vodafone!

Will buy the iPhone unlocked from Apple if it is available
    Or with o2 payg if they offer immediate unlock for £15
    Finally, a locked Vodafone PAYG

3. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

I reckon I might end up with Orange, I've been with o2 for 2 years on the iPhone and countless years on PAYG. If the 3G Network is really what they make out to be then great. Might consider Three as their network is decent around here, if they have significantly lower prices. :D

4. eat me thread starter macrumors member

How is Vodafones coverage in London? And Threes? they boast about their improved network lately, probably preparing for iPhone 4 launch.

I'm thinking of maybe staying with T-Mobile, not sure.

5. thechungster macrumors regular

I will be going with either Orange or O2. Not sure which though. I know that Orange has a better coverage, but can anyone tell me about their 3G speeds?

6. Nevasleep macrumors member

Orange PAYG.....as I've already got a contract with them.

7. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Coverage is good in London. I always have 3G until I go underground.

I'll be sticking with Voda when it comes out. I get extremely good speeds compared to O2 where I can't get signal in my house.

I haven't tried the others TBH.

If you are thinking of changing, grab a PAYG SIM from each operator and test it out. You'll need a different phone as the iPhone will more than likely be locked, but it should give you an idea

8. rhaleuk macrumors member

Tesco / o2 here purely because experience has shown that only o2 give me coverage inside my house.

9. JamesHP macrumors 6502

If Vodafone's deals are decent I'll be switching to them given they've got by far the best signal in my area. If 3 offer a good data package I'll be using them.

10. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I'll be moving from o2 to vodafone. I get no o2 in my house, have found 3g to be quite unreliable in Norwich, and have just been moved to an outsourced business account management service (azzurri). I've lost free calls from my mobile to them (8002 was free access) and they're simply a bunch of pushy sales people as far as I can tell, rather than a fairly knowledgable business support and service team. Horrible. So they've lost me and won't be gaining my other half who will be getting her first iPhone and contract on 24th.

That reminds me - I need to get my PAC!

TT

oh, and Vodafone are the only network to do a femtocell in case I don't get the reception that I should in my house

11. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

Unless Vodafone's tariffs and prices throw up some surprises I'll likely be switching from O2 to Vodafone on launch day. For me it's primarily cos of signal strength at work and on the commute home - where my phone does most of its work.

I already have launch day booked off. Hopefully I'll be waiting in for a delivery, if not I'll be in a queue somewhere!

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm waiting for all the contract details and handset prices to be announced before I make my decision.

13. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

O2 3G coverage in Norwich is lousy. It always seems to go to 'No Service' whenever I enter a building! :rolleyes:

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

O2 because of the simplicity plans and good coverage

15. twoism macrumors member

Really depends on what kind of tariffs vs subsidized phone costs will be announced on Tuesday, but right now I've got my eye on giffgaff, which providing I can just buy the phone, will save me a lot of money, and still give me exactly what I need when I want it. \o/

16. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Currently with O2 and have been since the first iPhone.
    Am not sure if I am going to stay with them (good 3G signal at home and work, but no signal at my parents, where I spend a lot of time for various reasons).
    OR
    Vodafone. Good signal at my parents but not sure about home and work. I need to get a Vodafone sim card and then see if I can have a play with the 3G network to assess signal strength and speed.

17. flipshot macrumors 6502a

18. MecPro macrumors 6502

I'll stay with my current unlimited data, 600 minutes and unlimited texts and just buy the phone offline. Then I still don't need to upgrade to 02's 18/24 month contracts again

It's a joke either way

19. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

staying with o2 me thinks, always been on the network, won't leave.

20. ksolano macrumors regular

Will have to wait till we see all the tarrifs.. pretty lame theres no info yet! :mad:

21. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

When you call someone, you can immediately tell they're on three by the quality of the call!!

Vodafone has been a huge step up for me compared to o2. I now get signal on the ground floor of our house, and it's 3G. Never got 3G once at home during the 18month I was with o2.

22. eat me thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, you guys make me think about switching from T-Mo to Vodafone.

23. eat me thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, what is this giffgaff thing? unlimited net, text & 100 minutes for £10?

The boast how they have no small print and other "stick it to the man ideas", and yet somewhere on their site I found this:

"You lucky giffgaff pioneers can even enjoy free UK mobile Internet up to the end of June 2010.. After that date, mobile Internet will be charged at 50p a day (if you use less than 2.5MB/day you'll pay less than 50p and if you go over 30MB you'll be charged extra at 20p/MB)."

What a load of BS, way to go "simple".

24. tagy macrumors regular