UK O2: New Tariffs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fifi77, Mar 29, 2011.

1. fifi77 macrumors regular

For UK O2 customers, the new tariffs that they're launching (supposedly today) have been leaked online:

http://mymobiledeal.com/new-o2-tariffs/

Seems you don't get any data bundled as standard, you have to add it as a 'bolt-on'. As I understand it, you can use the data for tethering without having to get an additional 'bolt-on'.

It's not as bad as it looks once you start working out figures, but the fact they aren't giving any data as standard is wrong as far as I'm concerned and one of the many reasons I'll be looking to move away from O2 as soon as my contract is up.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It gives you the option to tailor the tariff to suit your needs and if tethering is included it's a welcome bonus.

I'd save £4 per month if I could move to these new tariffs. I wonder if the handset prices will be higher?

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

when are these live? was thinking of upgrading to iphone 4 with the rumors going around of no iphone 5 until next year

4. rforsyth macrumors newbie

You say youre looking to move away from o2, is there a reason?
    Just whatever you do dont go Orange, ive had nothing but trouble. Not receiving text messages, phone calls failing etc and when i try to claim on my orange care all they say is its not the phone its the network.

5. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Definitely downgrading my contract once these go live.

I am currently on £41 a month but never reach the 600 minutes and hardly use the 500MB of data, i have wifi at work and at home so very littel 3G used at all....

These new tariffs would mean i could downgrade to £31/month and have 300 minutes Unlimited Texts and then add the £6 Data Bolt on and end up saving £4 a month and having the ability to use my data to tether to my new iPad 2!!!

Any info on when these may go live??? Also noticed you can't manage your tariff on the o2 website anymore... so we have to call to downgrade??

6. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

Would you not require more data due to your increased usage on your new iPad2 via the tethered connection?

Shame they dont allow this on the old unlimited tariff that I refuse to let go of.

7. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

Think I'll be sticking to my Pay and Go Unlimited text and web tariff.
    I get unlimited texts and 500mb for £15 / month.

I wouldn't mind going on the 30 day simplicity tariff for £15.50 / month (300 mins and unlimited text) but it doesn't say if there is any data, any one have any idea?

EDIT: Looked carefully it's £21.50 a month with the 500mb data allowance.

http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/paymonthly (it's on there)

8. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

My initial thought is so that they can try and talk you out of downgrading :p

I believe they are live right now? At least i can order an iPhone with these new tariffs and 'basket' it

9. The Phazer macrumors 68030

These are bad tarrifs for most customers, but if you're an existing O2 iPhone customer who doesn't tend to call people much but wants data/tethering there's the chance for a decent cut.

Typical bloody O2 though, their information is rubbish about what happens. Do you restart your contract term if you switch? Can you switch to a lower value? Can you switch to a lower value half way through your term, or 9 months in?

Everyone should be after the age verification crap they pulled a few weeks ago, when every iPhone user for the first two days had their credit card numbers sent over plaintext and they've lied about it ever since.

Phazer

10. fifi77 thread starter macrumors regular

There's various reasons as to why I'll be looking to move away from O2 when my contract is up, a couple of which include the fact that I don't think their plans offer particular value for money and the fact that their customer service is often terrible.

Having said that, I don't think any of the other UK phone companies are doing well on those fronts either.

One good thing O2 have introduced with these tariff changes is to allow existing customers to renew with 12 month contracts. Let's hope others follow suit.

The new tariffs are now live. You can ring up and ask to change over to one if it suits you. You must change over to one that is of equal or less value than the one you currently have. You are not starting a new contract, so your renewal date will not change.

11. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I have used a total of 30mb in the past three months for Data...(i did have a few data problems recently where O2 claimed i had used WAY more than my iPhone was reporting but it seems that issue has gone now.

I really rarely use it... i intended to downgrade anyway so this way i can tether should i have the need.

The iPad is really an at home device for my wife, she currently syncs her iPhone with my Mac Pro but doesnt use the Mac Pro as a browsing machine etc.... so the ipad is hers and now we have the added advantage of tethering when we do take it out of the house. :)

Yeah, i waited and waited on renewing my contract for that very reason, but the lure of the iPhone 4 was too much and was released only a couple of months after my renewal date.

BTW... I just downgraded to the new £31 + £6 tariff on the phone... nice and easy, start at my next billing period, which happens to be Sunday. Yes i have less minutes available but I only ever use about 150 of my current 600... so saving £4 a month is the biggest seller.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've got to wait two more weeks before I can move to the new £21.50 tariff because I already downgraded from the £30 to the £25 tariff a couple of weeks ago. :)

13. JasonHD macrumors regular

Rip off!

The new tariffs are up:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simplicity/12_months

They are a rip off, I'm on the old iPhone simplicity 12 month:

For £15 a month I get:

Unlimited Data & Wifi
    Unlimited Texts
    300 Minutes

I use TetherMe to enable Personal Hotspot for free.

To get the same now it would cost £25.50 and that's capped at 1gb data.

Think I'll just keep renewing mine after the 12 months and stick with my better deal.

14. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Can you only downgrade one tier every month?

15. aldo82 macrumors regular

I'm on Three payg. For £15 I can get 300mins, 3000 texts and unlimited data that last for 30 days. These new O2 tariffs are appauling compared to that, they just don't seem to compete. Compare the 12 month contracts to the Three One Plan, hmmm. I feel sorry for people that have to stay on O2 for coverage reasons. I was very glad when I left!

16. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Sorry, totally disagree with this. As others have said it gives the customer freedom to choose the package that suits them without any significant cost penalty. They've also introduced a low volume package at £10.50 with 100 minutes and 500 texts on a 30 day contract, more than enough for a lot of users who value the iPhone more as a data tool than a voice one (especially as more and more communication goes VOIP). Frankly I can see a lot of people saving money with these new tarrifs.

Personally I just saved myself almost £5 a month going for that low volume package and a 500Mb bolt-on that includes tethering for free. £16.50 a month and the ability to use my data how I want (i.e. not just for use on the phone) is one of the better deals I've had for the last few years. Add in the fact I'm not tied to the carrier past that 30 day period and I'm really happy with that deal.

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That's what O2 say.

18. ag227 macrumors regular

All of these tariffs seem terrible. Just for the sake of having tethering included in data?

Luckily for me o2 messed up my contact a while go. They gave me a free unlimited web bolt on that cant be taken off :)

So at the minute I have:
    o2 £25 standard tariff.
    300 mins
    unlimited text
    unlimted landline calls
    unlined web bolt on (by mistake)

yesterday I changed it to.
    o2 £15 standard tariff.
    100 mins
    unlimited text
    unlimted web bolt on (by mistake)

There doesnt seem to be anything close to this now. Exactly why Im going to orange when my contract is up.

19. InfernoUk macrumors 6502

just a question guys, theres no way i can tether to my ipad with my current contract through the inclusive 500mb right ? im going to have to ring and ask if theres anything they will do for me if i want to be able to ??

20. mikey4020 macrumors regular

I have exactly the same simplicity contract signed up the day before they brought the data caps in last June!! I've been looking at it and I don't see how I could even get Unlimited texts and just 500mb of data for £15. I'd need to go up to £21.50!! Can live without the ability to tether I think!

21. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

22. synagence macrumors 6502a

I'm currently on the legacy Simplicity 15 tariff which gives a few inclusive minutes / texts (i don't use many) and unlimited data for £15 / month

I want to use tethering but would be forced to drop my unlimited data for the same price and 1GB data cap

I currently use a 3 MiFi with £15/month 5GB data but i would like to have been able to drop the mifi and consolidate on O2 but the new bundled plans are just terrible and i cannot live with a 1GB combined data limit.

My only source of internet connectivity during the week evenings is the mifi so i end up using between 1.5 & 2GB ... hardly a load but 3 are the only network with a greater than 1GB cap.... its pathetic

Once my 12 months is up on simplicity i might just drop it all and go to The One plan on 3 and save that £5 / month .... i just like having visual voicemail which is o2 only

UK mobile networks are getting worse not better over this last few years

23. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just downgraded from £35 to £15.50 tariff with data bolt on, 8 months in to contract!! Save me £14 a month and get a mms allowance so I'm most pleased.

Summary

Mins reduced from 600 to 100 (used 22 last month)
    Texts reduced from unlimited to 500 - uh ok!
    Internet same but with teathering included (was £7.50 extra)
    20 free mms - was 20p each.
    Monthly rate down to £21.50 from £35

I'm better off!

24. andothfc macrumors regular

All these people talking about how much better their PAYG contracts are - how much did you pay for your handset. If you forked out £500 for an iPhone to stick your PAYG sim in, then I'm sure you're on a lower tariff.

For those of us who went with the subsidised deal, these new tariffs might offer an improvement. I'm going to be paying less gaining free tethering and bundled MMS. It's not going to save me enough to retire but it's a nice improvement.

25. SL4VE macrumors 6502