UK POLL: Will you be upgrading from 3G to 3GS on O2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by netdog, Jun 9, 2009.

?

Will you be upgrading your O2 iPhone to 3GS?

1. I have a 3G with O2 and plan to upgrade to the 3GS

14 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. I have a 3G with O2 and plan NOT to upgrade to the 3GS

82 vote(s)
    64.1%
  3. I have an original iPhone with O2 and plan to upgrade to 3GS

9 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. I have an original iPhone with O2 and plan NOT to upgrade to the 3GS

7 vote(s)
    5.5%
  5. I don't have an iPhone and plan to sign up with O2 and get a 3GS

10 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. I don't have an iPhone and still won't given these prices

6 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Given the prices, I think I'll forego the video and voice dialing for now.

What do the rest of you existing O2 customers with a 3G plan to do?

2. magga macrumors regular

I can't answer this until I know how much they are going to charge me to upgrade in August.

3. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

You forgot:

"I am waiting for O2 to offer a deal for existing iPhone customers, otherwise I will wait until my contract expires, but then I might as well keep my 3G and put it on a rolling simplicity contract for £19.58 per month"

Not very snappy, I know, but it needs to be an option...

4. ripkord macrumors 6502

Most people who have the 3G have contracts that end when Dec/Jan? I bought mine a month after release I think so mines ends Jan next year - if O2 arent doing an upgrade plan then they are gonna find out the hard way that during the worst economic recession in years, people simply will not fork out cash for a better camera (and by better I mean worse than most phones) video recording and a magnetometer.

I love my iPhone and was hoping O2 would do the £100 upgrade - there is NO WAY I'm waiting to the end of my contract then forking out £185.

5. afd macrumors 6502a

I think having the contract length and iPhone refresh out of sync is going to be bad news for apple and o2. My contract ends in the middle of January, and by then I think I'd just wait till this time next year to upgrade and get the iPhone GTi or whatever they're calling the new one. I'm sure I won't be alone here, most people that want the 3gs will probably have a 3g but won't want to pay £210 to o2 to end the contract then pay for the 3gs. I certainly can't afford that.
    I think o2 will have to offer existing users more to upgrade or they'll end up skipping this version, or getting a palm pre?

6. ascender macrumors 68000

I bought the 3G on launch day and at the moment have no plans to upgrade to the S. Yes, there's features I like both in hardware & software, but with 3.0 out soon, the reasons for me to upgrade are fairly minor.

If O2 came out with an incentive to upgrade, like a cheap upgrade fee, then I'd be tempted, but as things stand, I'll just see out my contract and then see what options are out there.

7. afd macrumors 6502a

That gets my vote! Can put the £90 I save towards next years iPhone.

8. iSimon macrumors regular

Even if I was allowed to upgrade early I wouldn't - the UK 3GS prices are absolutely sickening. Given the change in £:$ from last year I would have expected the prices for the £30/35 18 month contracts to be closer to £129 (16GB 3GS) and £189 (32GB 3GS), with the 8GB 3G reduced to around £59. With the prices instead at £99 (8GB), £189 (16GB), and £280 (32GB) after accounting for the temp VAT reduction, O2 and Apple can go stick their entire stock of 3GS where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned! I am actually pretty furious that Apple and O2 even think they can get away with this.

9. Foggy macrumors 6502a

No chance here. My contract runs out in February 2010. To buy myself out of the contract would cost me 8*£44.05 which is approximately £350. I then would need to shell out a further £175.19 to get the 32gb 3GS - so a grand total of just over £525. For me the 2G to 3G was a massive step up but the difference from the 3G to the 3GS really isn't that big. Sure I'd like it to be a bit faster, video would be great, I am sure the magnetometer will allow some cool stuff and who wouldn't want better battery life - but not for that kind of money.

I'll see if further down the line they offer a cheap upgrade path, if not I will quite happily stick with what I have and OS 3.0.

10. YoungLew macrumors regular

I currently have a SE W890i on O2, so will be upgrading to the iPhone 3GS contract on the 19th :D

11. Libitina macrumors 6502

Libitina

Not that it really helps but after 9 months you can reduce to the bottom tariff and then pay it off at 8*£30

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I bought the 3G on July 11th and I was going to wait until December to upgrade to the new iPhone without paying any penalties.

Because of the improvements on the 3G S are not that dramatic and the handsets are more expensive, I'll probably just let my contract end and go on to Simplicity. I'll then have a look what the next upgrade has to offer this time next year and maybe get the next generation if I think it's worth it.

13. sananda macrumors 68020

I have a 16 GB 3G on Pay and Go. It cost me £399. I was expected roughly the same price point for the new 32GB. I'm not paying £538.

14. ascender macrumors 68000

Its a good point you make, by the time a lot of us are out of contract in December/January, the next version of the iPhone is potentially only 6 months away which isn't long to wait if its a significant update.

15. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

I've been waiting for the 3rd generation iPhone since the iPhone first came out. I've been patiently sititng on an o2 simplicity sim tariff and now I've seen the new prices for the 32GB i'm very annoyed! However, sale of my 1G iPod Touch 16GB is going to make it that much more affordable. Damn o2. Why are the US prices that much cheaper?

16. cap'njack macrumors member

My contract runs out in April 2010...I'll either stay on a 30 day rolling contract with O2 until the iPhone 4G comes out in 2010 or I'll swap to Simplicity depending on what O2 suggest is the best way.

17. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

It's O2 not Apple. Apple will supply the usual unsubsidised prices to the carriers. O2 just aren't subsidising it that much. It'll be interesting to see what the prices will be from Franxe, Germany, and the rest of the continent. That way we can see how badly O2 are screwing us!

18. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

As things stand right now with bills to pay, a council tax increase and in the middle of a recession, I am holding on to my orginal iPhone (1st Gen). :)

The 3.0 OS will do for now.

I don't use my iPhone enough to justify these silly prices.

19. ripkord macrumors 6502

The poll says it all to O2.

Attached Files:

20. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Agreed :)

21. nerdish macrumors regular

I have a 3G and dont see the point in the upgrade, OS 3.0 will give me most of the features, and i dont care for a compass or a 3MP camera - so i'll wait till WWDC 2010 and see what Apple give us then!

Or, it the Pre looks that good when it comes to the UK, i'll have that!

22. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

You also forgot the: "I already have an iPhone 3G and plan to sign another contract with O2 to get a 3GS." option.

That's what I'll be doing. Taking out a new contract is easier than battling with O2 to modify or let you out early of your existing.
    O2 have a policy that they let you out of your contract in the last month of the contract. It's always been like that and, I assume,
    will always stay like that.

R-Fly

23. stevearm macrumors 6502a

What's the point of having 2 contracts?

24. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Passing the iPhone 3G onto a family member.

R-Fly