[UK] RAM Prices - Thinking of Upgrading

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andylyon, Jan 16, 2011.

1. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

After some advice. First off here's what I currently have:

MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz 320GB - Mid 2009 version

Been thinking about upgrading my RAM for a while now as I still have the bog-standard 2GB installed. I was looking to upgrade it to 4GB a I am starting to see it beach ball a lot when using several programs at once. (e.g. Word, Powerpoint, Safari with 15+ tabs, iTunes and iPhoto both with relatively large libraries)

However, am I missing something? I went on the Crucial UK website and found that 2x2GB modules for my MBP would cost £35.99 including VAT, which I thought was really cheap and was just about to purchase! However, underneath this I saw 2x4GB modules coming in at just £75.59 including VAT. Which to me sounds insanely cheap to max out my pro, I'm sure just a couple of months ago (November time I think it was) the price for these was £200+.

So assuming this price is correct I'm thinking of just maxing it out to 8GB. Would this be worth it? I do tend to use many programs at once and also bootcamp Windows 7 occasionally. Im not planning on getting rid of my laptop for at least a couple of years.

Has anyone upgrading to 8GB in this laptop? Is it worth it for the price? Is there a noticeable difference going from 4GB to 8GB? Would it increase the re-sale value by much? Anything I should be aware of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

8GB is the max your laptop can take, and if you can afford it I recommend you do, purely as as soon as you get 4GB youll start doing even more at once, and so 8 will become a necessity (I did this on my White MB going 1GB -> 4GB because I knew 2GB still wouldnt be enough as Id start doing more).

3. andylyon thread starter macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Cheers, good advice, will probably pull the trigger on 8GB later tonight!

4. chazco macrumors member

I'm looking to give my 2010 13" MBP a bit of a boost and I've been trying to decide between a 7200rpm drive or upgrading to 8GB of RAM. £75.59 looks like a reasonable deal.

5. andylyon thread starter macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Yeah I think £75.59 is a steal compared to what it was just a few months ago, also, I currently have a 7200rpm 320GB drive in mine and noticed no real speed boost from the stock drive.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

2 GB to 4 GB is the biggest jump, but for that price I'd go straight to 8 GB. Consider that if you upgrade to 4 GB today, you will be stuck with the RAM. But check what RAM you have; you might consider adding a single 4GB chip if they sell that.