UK retail store returns - opened products

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by timROGERS, Dec 27, 2009.

1. timROGERS macrumors member

I purchased an Apple Magic Mouse from my local Apple Retail store in the UK, and I don't really like it.

I have opened it so the packaging is unsealed. Will I be able to return this item for a refund?

Thanks,

Tim

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

If it's within 14 days of purchase you can take it back for a no questions asked refund. :)

3. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Technically no, if there is no fault with the item it's down to caveat emptor.

However go in, be polite and maybe they will allow you to exchange for items up to the same value.

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Not quite...

5. timROGERS thread starter macrumors member

Well, do you think there is any chance that will take it back anyway? I am probably going to try.

6. parakiet macrumors regular

perhaps there are rules overruling what a store claims.

don't know **** about uk consumer laws.. but still worth checking

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Well, no. If you go to a shop and buy things, the only reasons why the shop would refund your money are if something is wrong with the product and they have to refund your money (that is called "your statutory rights"), if you are a minor and therefore the contract with you is voidable, or if they voluntarily offer refunds (which they usually do because it's better for business).

There is a difference if you ordered online, or if the seller initiated the sale, for example if I ring on your door and offer things for sale.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

Take it back... pick a time when its not busy, and try to do it within the 14 day window. I don't have any specific knowledge of how UK Apple store returns work, but.... it is good customer service and Apple has a good reputation. If you have tried to give the mouse a chance and its not working comfortably for you, tell them that. Mention the word "ergonomic".

Sometimes stores will put print more restrictive language. This allows them to refuse a refund when someone has obviously and blatantly been abusing the policy. For example, if someone merely wanted to "borrow" a system to get a project done.

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

The above posters are right. When buying from an high street store, the law says if the goods are not faulty, or not different to what you thought you were buying, then any refund is up to the goodwill of the shop.

Most shops will give refunds as it helps their sales, but this is going over and above what the law says.

Tell the Apple store it was given to you as an Xmas present, and see how that goes. Pack it up carefully, try to keep it all neat and tidy. If you'll be happy with Apple store credit, say so.