Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's updated Apple TV 4K isn't officially supposed to launch until Friday, May 21, but it appears that UK retailer Argos has jumped the gun by offering customers in-store pickup today.

apple-tv-4k3.jpg

Twitter user @ApplWatcher was first to note that Argos has been allowing pre-orders to go out a day early, with many store locations offering collection "right away" or after 4:00 p.m. UK local time.

At least one customer wasted no time in taking up the offer, and provided iMore with pictures as evidence of their purchase. It's not clear why Argos is selling the new-generation Apple TV one day earlier than Apple's official launch date, and there could be repercussions for the retailer. But as it stands, anyone in the UK who is interested in picking up the latest set-top box (or indeed just the new Siri Remote) a little earlier than most could be in luck.

Apple customers who purchased an ‌Apple TV‌ 4K with ‌Siri‌ Remote will start seeing deliveries on May 21, with customers in Australia and New Zealand set to receive their devices first. Yesterday we reported that one Apple customer in Finland also received their second-generation Apple TV 4K and Siri Remote earlier than expected.

‌Apple TV‌ 4K orders have already started shipping for some customers. The earliest ‌Apple TV‌ 4K orders have delivery estimates ranging from May 21 to May 27.

Update: Argos appears to have realized its error and has since updated its Apple TV 4K website listings to read "Watch this space: This product hasn't been released yet. Please check back soon."

Article Link: UK Retailer Argos Selling New Apple TV 4K a Day Early [Update: Not Any More]

Last edited:

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Yep, looks like I can pick one up now or have it delivered same day.

applet.PNG

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I am going to give this one a miss. The previous generation 32GB is more than enough for what I use it for.

Agreed.. it's only useful if you already own 4K 120Hz TV. Even then, the content is simply non existent unless you shoot your own HFR videos from iPhone.. If you came from ATV HD though, this is a definite long-awaited upgrade.

Unless you can sell your current A10X ATV for as little loss as possible, or really want the redesigned remote, I wouldn't bother.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Love the new remote will wait for the real upgrade later in the year …. M1 appletv anyone ?

think the websites crashed ?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Royksöpp

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
ok so it is the same as with almost any product: you don’t need to upgrade every other generation.
Many articles have been written on that topic..

Except that last generation has been around for almost 3 years. That's a long time in tech world. For all those 3 years, Apple had all the time to build A11, up to the newest M1 chips, yet gave us the A12 instead. Some complaints should be expected.

Reactions: haruhiko

4pp13

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2020
Agreed.. it's only useful if you already own 4K 120Hz TV. Even then, the content is simply non existent unless you shoot your own HFR videos from iPhone.. If you came from ATV HD though, this is a definite long-awaited upgrade.

Unless you can sell your current A10X ATV for as little loss as possible, or really want the redesigned remote, I wouldn't bother.
The only other thing I'd add to the reasoning to upgrade list is Thread. I have quite a few thread devices now and no hub for them. Yes you can get a HomePod mini, but no way to do Siri selectively on that and no physical off button. This seems like it would be able to become a Thread hub that allows selective Siri via the remote.

mpe

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I don't understand what is the actual problem when retailers sell the goods they have in stock.

IMHO no vendor should have powers to control the sales of goods outside of their retail network. All of this, as well as similar prices, suggests there might be some agreements between vendors and resellers. As a consumer, I'd like regulation authorities to ban/look into these...

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I would have loved to have known this 2 hours ago when I ordered from Apple with an estimated delivery date of the 7th June.

Argos seem to have clocked on now and no longer offer same day delivery or pick up until Tuesday.

Reactions: suyashsrij28
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.