[UK] Smash Bros Brawl

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well well well! Shopto came through and delivered this a day early. Glad someone out there wanted us to get this game as soon as :rolleyes:

Just spent a couple of hours playing co-op Subspace and a good few 1 on 1's. Unlocked 2 characters (including one I didn't even know was in it!). Loving pretty much everything about it, did take 2-3 matches before I got used to the new physics.

What a game!

Any other Pal region folk got their regions own Brawl yet?

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

This my experience playing Smash Bros on the Wii and Cube.

tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap. You get the point. :eek:

<]=)

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah same to me to be honest. I mean the Subspace mission at least broke it up with jumpy platform sections, followed by tap tap tap.... but after losing my save - I just can't be bothered to go back and play brawl at all.

At the moment I'm playing TopSpin 3, Sega Superstar Tennis & Mario n' Sonic @ the Olympics on the Wii and having far more fun than with Brawl.

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Well I'm melting all over this :p 55% into Subspace, story reminds me of Sonic Adventure 1 for some reason. Unlocked more players now including some I didn't know about (yey for my spoiler avoiding powers)! It's my TF2 console equivalent. :cool:

How do you get the daily custom level? I'm sure I read somewhere that Nintendo sends you a new map every day.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Just connect to Nintendo WFC as if you were going to play a match online. When you connect, it downloads the stage of the day.

Wow...learn to play the game properly...you guys are missing out on so much, you have no idea :(

Maybe I'll write a guide to help everyone not button mash. I already promised Ed I'd write one for him.

6. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I'm with you. I got up to unlocking everyone and a good number of challenges, then I just moved on. Haven't had any incentive to go back and play.

I *might* play again with my sister when I visit family in August, but that'll most likely be Rainbow Six: Vegas. She loves that game!

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You people make me sad. :(

Go play in a tournament if you have no friends to play with. Seriously, it's so mind-numbingly fun.

8. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Well, as much as I love Smash, I would agree that there really isn't much to it if there aren't other (local) people around to play it with. Not everyone is as fortunate as Praxis to live in an area abound with tournaments and players :p. I'm lucky if there is a tournament once every two months within reasonable driving distance. I'm also finding one-on-one play in Brawl to be a bit more mundane than Melee, again probably because there aren't that many people around.

9. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

I was disappointed in brawl. They delivered with the new levels and the level creator, they delivered with the new characters, but other than that and a few items/the super smash attack, they didn't do much. It doesn't take advantage of the wii's motion sensors except for the super smash, WFC play can get EXTREMELY laggy, and they need something... new. The level editor is really the only new feature. The rest is just the same old updating.

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

So I'm not 15 hours in having just over a day with it so far, and going into town for an eye test :D

(bits in white to avoid character spoilers-)

Really impressed with how Sonic plays. Lucario is one of my new faves, a great hybrid of Mewtwo and Pikachu. Overall the characters seem more balanced this time round. I could only play as 5 or so characters in Melee and enjoy it, whereas it's the other way around in Brawl. Final Destination, Zelda Bridge and the Fire Emblem Castle are my fave maps. Probably all due to the intense music :D.

The sad thing is this is probably the most fun game starring Sonic this millenium. :eek:

Also... Saving profiles to the Wii controller. I assume this just copies stats and stuff and doesn't carry over unlocked characters?

11. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Indeed sad but, alas, true :)

From what I understand it carries over controller configurations, perhaps stats as well (anybody test this?). Worst of all though is the fact that you can't even transfer save data via SD card (well, officially I suppose:rolleyes:).

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Didn't do much? The game engine changes are dramatic. Attacks autocancel while L-cancelling has been removed, characters generally move slower with longer lag frames, most attacks have larger hitboxes and most characters have slower falling speed, ledges are much more forgiving, overall most character's recovery has been greatly increased which means there's a lot more chasing off of ledges to ensure your opponent dies...need I go on?

Maybe I should. Throws have a lesser importance as they go further than in Melee removing the ability to combo, but chaingrabs are of greater prominence as about half the characters have one now. Items now are easier to catch, and float cancelling has been removed for Peach, which significantly gimps her game since turnips are less effective and float cancelling was very useful. The airdodge mechanic has been changed to not add momentum to your character, but now it can be used multiple times without ill effect. There's more lag associated with shielding, slightly reducing its usefulness, but powershielding is now a far more useful tactic. There's definitely an increase in the effectiveness of gimpkills- the easy to grab edges make edgehogging easy and the better recovery means you don't fear chasing your opponent and forcing them off the screen or spiking them down.

The game engine definitely has a more defensive slant. Directional Influence is still very effective and now easier to pull off since the more powerful attacks actually have the characters pause for a second, and hitstun has been removed and airdodging is unlimited. There's a lot of additions to the engine such as Stale Move Negation (the last ten attacks you used have reduced knockback and damage) that adds an entirely new dimension to it as it becomes more effective to save your attacks with high knockback until near the end of the match, and forced trips (downtilts and certain attacks have a chance of tripping your opponents, which you can use to your advantage). Changes to the dodge roll mechanism also enables exploits like Glide Tossing, which is one of the staples of my Peach game.

Add to that a bazillion new levels, a ten hour story mode, CGI cutscenes, 39 characters (counting characters like Shiek as separate), 60 event matches, and way more trophies and game modes than before...

I really couldn't think of ANYTHING else I'd want to add other than a better online mode. Well...I guess having wavedashing back would be cool, but I never used it as Peach's was useless anyway.

I'm curious where you live- if it's anywhere in the US, I'd bet I can find you a group of tournament players, especially if there's a university nearby.

There's a university under an hour's drive from my house with the best player in the state, and the best Link player in the world is a local here :)

I would completely support the fact that if you're not playing the game with anyone its not that fun. So...find someone to play with! :D

Yeah, I agree. In Melee there was about five characters that were really good, and everyone else was pretty terrible.
    In Brawl I have fun with the vast majority of characters. I play almost all of them. The only one I can't get into is Wario...

Although from a competitive perspective, Brawl's got two characters that are completely overpowered, and about four characters that are completely useless- everything else is pretty well balanced in between. Compared to Melee, where you had to play Fox-Falco-Marth-Shiek in tournaments or you lose.

13. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Indeed, much of the gameplay has changed in Brawl. Overall, I think the changes are good for new players (less of a skill gulf, at least currently). Only things I miss from Melee are wavedashing (Luigi was my favorite character, so I was rather saddened) and the generally faster pace.

As for finding people, I've looked around for local matches, but judging from the smashboards forum, most of the NC smash scene appears full of people that are, for lack of a better term, immature. Next month there is a tourney nearby though, so I'll see for myself I suppose. Tourneys are fun, but really it's the four-player matches that provide the best time. When I was at college just about everyone on the hall played smash... good times :D

14. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

DigiPen has a Smash Club that meets on Fridays I believe, so it isn't like I don't have a place to play the game with others if I so choose...

...but just not interested. *shrugs*

It is a good game though.

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, my reaction to this was, "They can't be that bad". Then I looked at the North Carolina threads. 0_o Wow, none of the smash players around here are NEARLY that immature. LOL!
    Generally though you get a really diverse crowd at the tournaments. The last one at the local university had a lot of clean and polite guys, a couple skater-looking types, a few otaku-looking people, some kids, and even one emo.

Myself I prefer AllIsBrawl.com for tournament organization, because it's way better for tournament organization, and Smashboards is populated by a bunch of hardened crusty smash veterans that get mad at anybody new at the game while AiB is pretty helpful. But I check both sites these days.

And yeah, the only thing I miss is the faster pace as well. My character couldn't really wavedash (Peach), so I only did it with Luigi to mess with noobs.

16. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I hate being graduated, going to have to get Caroline to set up a Brawl night at her uni :eek: I hate having to activate the auto balance* just to play against my local friends.

I do like how they've handled the auto balance this time. It's not ridiculous like in Melee, how a level 8 player could smash a level 2 player whilst at 0% damage. It's actually playable when it gets to that stage since rather than just giving extreme strength to weaker players the better player will start off with more damage.

Current faves are Lucario, MetaKnight, Samus (I know Praxis :p), Ike and Snake.

17. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Does Wi-Fi work internationally?

If so, jimmi, i would love to play you.

Praxis, you're not allowed, and that's just because i wanna get AT LEAST one kill on someone else:p

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

:(

If it helps, WiFi screws up my game quite a bit so you have a good chance at killing me at least once :D

Did you know that Peach is the only character who can't grab ledges backwards out of her up-B? That's made me suicide more than once :(

I HAVE added your friend code though- what will your name show up as? :)

Also, Jimmi, now you can watch that funny video of mine since you've unlocked all of those characters!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf9Y6gJOnC4

19. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Yeah... I don't know what's up with that. Perhaps I can get some online matches with you folks... I posted my Brawl # in the online thread, so feel free to PM if anyone wants to play this weekend or any weekend in general.

20. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I haven't been on Brawl online is forever, but i do believe my name shows up as Dani.

BTW, I'm a Peach user too! But my Peach skills are much below your Peach skills :D

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

WARNING! THIS IS A SPOILER OR IS IT ?

OK I'm not blanking this out because in this regard I do not believe it's a spoiler. Come on he's on the fricking cover (back anyway) and they use him in the TV advertisment campaign (along with Solid Snake).

Anyone interested in this game would also know they are in it if were honest. So yeah! Really I think these kind of things are not worthy to be called 'spoilers' at all. :)

Also to add. Brawl is the proverbial 'Marmite' game, a real case of Love It or Meh! I'm afraid I fall into the latter catagory but I respect others opinions and accept that I'm just not getting the same thing out of it that they are.

22. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Then I will play you. In time ;) I'm still really new to this and I'd just get uber-pwned.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Sweet! Fellow Peach users. You can pick up some tactics from me :) I glide-toss like a madman.

I'm currently the top Peach in WA. But I'm not yet on the top 15 players list yet :( Although I've beaten the #1 player in the state a few times! But a few people lower than him in the list school me :(

24. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

So I just unlocked this song. Oh so superbly epic and powerful.

How they're going to top this with the inevitable Live album is a mystery.

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Got 2nd in a WiFi tournament last night :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WohPC2v7BR0

The surprised comments come from the fact that general wisdom states that Peach can't fight Snake at all and most Peach players consider it the absolute worst matchup.