Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Hi,

Got the wifi iPad. No problems with the wifi here. No dropped connections or weak signals. Full signal anywhere in the house same as iPhone and MacBook pro.

Same here, been hammering it since Thursday lunchtime, no problems.

ebony

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2007
I have wifi signal strength issues with the iPad when I'm upstairs at home. All other devices are fine, iPod touch, iPhone, just the iPad goes down to one bar.

To resolve I placed an airport express plugged into a wired network upstairs. I now have a wireless network specifically for the iPad and that gives me full strength throughout the house.

So in summary, I had a signal strength issue, but it was overcome by creating a new wireless network used by the iPad uniquely.

davy999

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
Somerset, UK
ipad wifi woes :eek:(

my experience is the same as JulianL

Shows 3 bars for wifi signal but after some time suddenly I lose connection even though it still shows 3 bars.
Only way to repair is to renew lease or turn off wifi, wait a minute, and turn it on again.
sometimes turning off and restarting iPad does not fix it so the above is the only way to fix it.

I have 64gb wifi model, with Belkin N+ router.
My ps3 , Wii, xbox360, ipod touch, phone, 2 laptops and 27" mac all use wireless and none of them have ANY issues.
I have ensured I have the latest firmware for the router, a full reset and setup of the router from factory settings still hasn't helped.

This is not good :mad:

cupalup

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2010
I've had a few issues.

Several times pages just won't load - the blue loading bar just doesn't move and then a box says "...you are not connected to the internet" even though the wifi symbol is visible.

Range doesn't seem good. I can use my MBP and iPhone in the loo but not my iPad.

The wifi symbol vanishes and reappears every 5mins or so.

I've got a 64GB wifi and a 3month old Airport Extreme.

Karl J

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
Northamptonshire, UK
16 Gb Wifi had since launch day in the US and I've never had a wifi problem.

Its been used heavily at home, in hotels, motorway services, in airports, even mid air courtesy of US Airways in flight wifi and its never let me down once.

:)

raymondkerr

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
16gb wifi, been using it since thursday. Had signal issues with my net gear 834dg v4, updated to the latest firmware and it has improved the signal a little. In a 2 bed flat and when I move through to another room, the signal looses strength, my iPhone 3GS has never had such issues with wifi, but it is better now with the updated firmware.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I've been using mine for a month now, and the only issue I encounter, is within the YouTube app.
Any HD(or HQ) video always has to buffer every minute or so, whereas they play flawlessly on my average laptop.
Everything else is fine.
For what it's worth, I'm on O2 fast broadband, using their Thomson 'III' router.

m1n1s

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
Great Britain
Been using my iPad since Thursday, no wifi issues , actual works well where i have wifi issues with other equipment, using linksys wag200g firmware 1.01.09

Stardotboy

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Manchester, UK
I've had my 32Gb wifi model since yesterday morning and haven't had any connection problems yet. Having said that I noticed last night that I only had 1-2 bars of signal for a couple of hours, and the net felt a bit slower than usual - back to normal now though.

Jr1985

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
I have the wifi only 32gb running with AEBS and so far I haven't had any problems. Touch wood.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Going to the WiFi settings and selecting "Renew Lease" recovers the connection (which is why I tried to fix the problem by switching to static IP) but it's only a matter of time before it drops and this fix is needed again.

That means you have some other device on your network that interferes with it. Check the settings for _all_ of your devices on the router. You probably have some device that uses the IP address that DHCP assigns to your iPad.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
That means you have some other device on your network that interferes with it. Check the settings for _all_ of your devices on the router. You probably have some device that uses the IP address that DHCP assigns to your iPad.
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that's it, it's just that doing a renew lease seems to be a way to re-initialize the TCP/IP stack in some way that kicks it back into life. Starting and stopping the WiFi also fixes it.

I checked all other devices in case a setting was corrupted but I have all my devices set to static. Note that I also set my iPad to static as one of my tests. I have total control of my network and have an IP allocation map that I stick to so the address I chose was in a reserved range outside the DHCP pool (which is restricted to 64 addresses). I also checked on my router admin screens to check that my DHCP allocation window was where I thought it was and I can also list all active DHCP leases and the iPad was the only one.

As it turns out, I shouldn't tempt fate here but I might soon be posting the hoped-for retraction regarding my issues. Upgrading the router firmware might have fixed the issue. I've used the iPad for well over an hour since doing the firmware upgrade without a single dropout. If I get to the end of this battery charge with no dropouts then I think I'll declare the problem solved. I post results here.

- Julian

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
I have 3G but I haven't activated it yet as I haven't take it out anywhere with me. I've had no problems at all with my wifi, the signal is very strong.

Dodgeroo

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
WRT54G here and zero problems so far (touch wood!)

Been using Air Video quite a bit and it's flawless.

dkohara

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010
Co Durham, UK
I have a 64GB wifi model and have had 2 drop outs in 8+ hours, so not too bad. This is with my iPad in the opposite corner of the house to the router, so am not unduly concerned. During the drop outs I can echo the fact that the signal strength still has 3 bars on.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
No problems here on my latest generation BT Homehub. FWIW, I've found all versions of the Homehub very Apple-friendly.

There's also the advantage for iPad/iPhone users of free access to over a million BT Openzone and BT Fon wifi hotspots if you're a BT Total Broadband punter.

Chiselteeth

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
No problem for me at all. I've got the 32gb wifi version and use a BT Homehub v2.0

I love my iPad !!!!!!!!!!!!

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
Thanks for the replies iPadders.

Seems 95% of people have no issue at all, sorry for the ones who do and hope you find both resolution and harmony soon.

You know I had earmarked my £550 of hard earnt savings for the new iPhone but now God darn it I'm betwixt one and t'other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.