UK teenage girls 'worst drunks'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Sep 1, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

How sad :(

2. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

As a UK teenage boy (15), I'm not surprised. It's a sad state of things. I've also seen loads of people in my class smoke, and I know someone who used to smoke weed too... It's just considered normal these days.

3. remmy macrumors 6502a

It is not surprising, were I live drink was the only affordable social entertainment there was and probably still is.

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I thought it was expensive compared to other drinks? wouldn't it be more expensive to get drunk that to buy a movie ticket?

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Haven't bought a movie ticket lately, have you? :p You could easily buy a top shelf liquor for the cost of two movie tickets. Not that I am justifying it at all but the costs to drink are much less than a trip to the cinema.

Now if you may grant me a moment to sound like an old woman - (some) kids these days are boring little snots. They have their entertainment spoon-fed to them and have very little creativity as a result. I am certainly not innocent to being inebriated but I seldom used boredom as an excuse to get loaded. Maybe I was just lucky and I grew up in an interesting place but I suspect there was more to it than that.

http://upc.*************/uploads/smilies/angrywife.gif

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

"But the report also says young people in the UK are materially well-off and enjoy a "high quality of school life".

So this means the richer you are in the UK. The more booze you drink ?

7. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

8. No1451 macrumors 6502

How expensive is it to go see a movie there that it would be cheaper to get loaded? Tuesdays I can see a movie for $4, certainly not enough money to even enjoy a single well-mixed cocktail, let alone get myself unable to properly use my pockets.

As for the OP, not really surprising. Canada has this issue as well, younger kids who seem to think it's fun to get completely gone.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Last time I went to see a movie (that wasn't at a daytime discount sort of thing) it was about £25-30 for two of us.

10. No1451 macrumors 6502

That is expensive, especially once I take into consideration just how weak my iced over Canadian dollars are:eek:. $10.50 flat for a movie all days(cept tuesday) here, woo:D

11. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Does that include drinks and food? I know for a fact that the two most marked up products in the world are Coke and popcorn.

No wonder illegal downloading and pirate DVDs are so popular though!

EDIT: Oh, and as a 15 year old, I must say that I fail to see the attraction in getting drunk. It's utterly stupid.

12. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

13. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

No, that's just ticket cost. They don't call it rip-off Britain for nothing.

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

A standard (not IMAX, not 3D) movie ticket for an Adult is £8.00 (about US$13) at my local mulit-screen cinema. Child tickets are for 14 and under so 15 year olds have to pay full price. That's before transport there (at least £2 return on public transport, 15 year olds can't drive).

16. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Pah, that's mad! There's a cinema near me that's cheaper, but it's in a dodgy area I'd rather not go to.

Quick note on the driving thing: I wish I could drive at my age! In some US states and Canada, you can get a provisional lisence at 14!

17. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

As an American living in London since 2003, I think I am qualified to say that English girls are the best drunks!

18. JLUGO35 Guest

JLUGO35

Quick note on the driving thing: I wish I could drive at my age! In some US states and Canada, you can get a provisional lisence at 14![/QUOTE]

Most be rural states such as Montana or Kansas. In SC you can only get a beginner's permit at 15 and a restricted license at 16. Not that I actually obeyed the restrictions at 16 lol. This could be a good thing. The native population in Europe is stagnant I heard so a lil booze and hormone charged teenagers...bingo, no more negative population growth. LOL

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

GAH, I got the price wrong in my previous posts. I've not been drinking, I swear! I thought we had paid about £13 per ticket before but I've looked it up and you're right. Still awfully expensive but not as expensive as I had said. Sorry about that.

20. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

I'm 15 and responsible but I can't drive coz of the stupidity of everyone else... What a fair world we live in!

21. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Off-topic but you've got be 17 in the UK. And they talk about raising it to 18 every so often (maybe they've done it already and I wasn't paying attention). And once you've passed your test be ready to pay way more than £500 for the most basic insurnace on the slowest, nastiest car.

22. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Yup I know all of that, and some tricks to get cheaper insurence too (mostly getting insurence as a second driver on parents' insurance). The laws in this country are crap. We also have a higher age of concent than most of Europe.

23. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Personally I think that 17 is a sensible age to be put in control of a 1.5+ ton machine capable of high speeds.

Of, and if it's a car that you are the primary driver of that is called "fronting" in the industry. That's just a nice word for criminal fraud. People do get caught for doing this. Normally when the child/young adult crashes. At that point as they policy was taken out using false information it is invalid so they get no payout, they and their parents are taken to court and get a criminal record and it becomes much more difficult to get insurance at a reasonable price for the next 10 years or so. Don't do i.

24. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

I heard that, but TBH it's unlikely you'll get caught anyway, and I didn't say I was going to do it, I just said I knew about it :p

Anyway, we're just taking the thread off-topic now!

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Not necessarily. There could be a drunk teen-age girl driving a car while trying to text a post from her iPhone in this discussion right now!!