UK: Two options to get the iPhone 3G S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevearm, Jun 14, 2009.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Stuck in a 18 month contract, like many others, which will be expiring in 7 months.

Option 1
    - Pay the remainder of the contract, in my case: 30 x 7 = £210
    - Get the 32GB iPhone 3GS: £275
    - Total spent: £485
    - Disadvantage: Will have to go through the same thing again in a year with the next gen iPhone

Option 2
    - Buy a 32GB 3GS on Pay and Go: £540
    - Put contract sim card into it
    - Disadvantage: More expensive
    - Advantage: Frees me up for getting a regular upgrade in 12 months time, as my old contract will be at 24 months and eligible for a handset upgrade.

Does that sound about right?

Surely option 2 makes more sense? Ok it might be a bit more expensive, but £60 now is better than going through all this hassle in a year. Plus it's far simpler to just walk into an O2 store and get a Pay&Go, then leave the store 2 minutes later.

Anyone have any thoughts? Any other options I hadn't considered? (I personally would like a 32GB model)

2. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Yeah mate that's what I'm doing, my iPhone is on Ebay for £325. Had a few offers near £300 should it should sell no probs.

Then the 3G S doesn't seem as bad :)

3. Agent-W macrumors member

I'm going with option 2 - BUT I'm selling my 3G on eBay, or failing that selling it to Mazuma Mobile (I've used them in the past and they were really good) who will give me £200 for the phone. Meaning my 16GB 3GS will at most cost £240, and this time next year I'll be free to upgrade the the newer iPhone. Can't really moan about that!

4. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

I'm doing the same thing. Can't understand all these people wanting to pay off their contracts and 'upgrade' - they're going to be in the same stupid situation in a year's time!

-L

5. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

Add me to the "option 2" club. :D

Also, I can move onto a rolling one-month Simplicity contract when my current contract runs out and save about £15 per month. I'll also be ready to buy the 2010 model without any penalties :cool:

6. paulcdb macrumors regular

PAYG can actually work out cheaper since in 6 months you can cancel your contract and move to PAYG since i have a sim that gets unlimited calls/text to o2 for £15 a month, take £7.50 from that for unlimited wifi and you still have £7.50 for calls/texts outside of o2.

Even with the current deals you can get a better deal than contract, double texts, unlimited internet for £20 saving at least a tenner a month.

7. stuartteach macrumors member

I would LOVE to go PAYG....my problem is that I have the original 2g iphone....if I get a 3gs will my sim card work???

cheers folks

8. afd macrumors 6502a

PAYG definately the way to go, you could end up in profit this time next year. £300 for a 3G one this year + six months on a simplicity after January (£90) + another £300 at least for the 3GS next June. So that's nearly £700 comming in less £540 for the PAYG that leaves £150 towards next year.
    Don't know if it's possible, but could you not put the PAYG on eBay? Would the year's free Internet work in another iPhone? That has to be worth at least another £100. Have mentioned this on other threads but no-one has noticed so I don't know if this would work.

9. afd macrumors 6502a

If it doesn't, just ask o2 for a new SIM, they won't charge for one.

10. stuartteach macrumors member

cool.....so just to check....if I buy PAYG, i can put my iphone 2g sim into it and still continue with my current contract, unlimited wi-fi etc....and i will get 3g connectivity and all the features of the new 3GS....and if it doesnt work....i can get a new sim card free from 02??

sorry, just getting it straight in my head!

cheers

11. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Yes your simcard will work with the 3GS

Thanks for that 1st post, even though I made a decision that just confirms it for me. Even if we do go with another contract, we will be in the same position come summer 2010! If O2 were clever they would see apple's schedule of releasing every year, and match the contract duration accordingly. They would have me for life!

Smartest way is to let contract run down and get PAYG option, if you can afford it. Ive managed to get the money together as follows!:

Sold iPhone 2G ebay- £180
    Sold Digital Camera - £44 (dont need as 3GS now does video/decent camera)
    Sold TomTom - £87 (dont need as 3GS now does same)
    Todays bday money :D- £100
    Own Money - £127.30
    TOTAL - £538.30 32GB 3GS

12. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know how much Mazuma Mobile will offer for a first generation iPhone 8GB?

13. stuartteach macrumors member

sounds like youve done your maths!!!

Im currently doing the same - sold my camera, tomtom and my iphone 2g to fonebank and get together the money for a 16g 3GS - are you just going to be putting your 2g simcard into the new phone?

so....last 2g question I promise....

will I still be able to use the same apps - such as tom tom, compass (all the new stuff basicly) if I dont have a 3g sim card???
    and when using safari - will it be just as fast etc etc

thanks again!

14. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

15. afd macrumors 6502a

All new stuff will work with old Sim, and if you don't get 3G network features o2 will replace with a 3G Sim for free.

16. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Surprisingly, they go for peanuts on eBay - you're better off using the number to register for the unlimited web and wi-fi, and then using your preferred sim card. Once registered you'll get the unlimited wi-fi (with BT Openzone and the Cloud) whatever sim you're using.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/O2-IPHONE-3G-...66:2|39:1|72:1683|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

17. afd macrumors 6502a

That is surprising! If my contract was up, I might be tempted to buy one and save some cash.

18. ddk121 macrumors 6502

Any ideas if you'll be able to pre order one from the Apple Store online, and get it on the Friday? Also, if you won't be able to do this, do you reckon CPW will have plenty of stock?

19. afd macrumors 6502a

alternative to tethering

Saw this on a link from your ebay link. Don't know if o2 will let you away with it though...

20. masteroflondon macrumors regular

£115

21. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I've got an o2 dongle with it's own PAYG sim card for mobile internet access. Separately, I also have an iPhone 3G PAYG sim card with £10 credit on it.

I just tried the iPhone 3G PAYG sim in the o2 dongle and it wouldn't connect, so no luck there.

O2 are more clever on the technical front than you might think!

However, the item you linked to looks very interesting indeed. Perhaps it's the unlocking that does the trick. I've written to him to ask. He does have a lot of positive feedback for this particular item so it would appear to work. :)

22. afd macrumors 6502a

Maybe the iPhone PAYG APN settings are different?

23. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I tried that but no luck. However I've heard back from the guy on eBay and he says that he can do it (for less than a tenner including postage). Excellent!

Thanks for pointing out the link. You may have saved me a lot of money. Certainly no need to use the iPhone for tethering at O2's ridiculous rates!

24. Agent-W macrumors member

PAYG iPhone APN settings are either idata.o2.co.uk or payandgo.o2.co.uk

Mobile Broadband APN is m-bb.o2.co.uk

25. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Tried them all. Had the card working when I popped it into my contract iPhone but would not work in the O2 dongle.