UK users I am furious and upset

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AeroUK, Jun 16, 2009.

1. AeroUK macrumors 6502

I currently have iPhone 3G with unlimited texts bolt on and 7.50 insurance bolt on.

I have been told if I buy a PAYG phone I cannot have insurance on it (although my tariffs will be kept). I can't have this phone with no insurance in London!

Also if I start a new contract they no longer do the unlimited texting and the insurance will go up 2.50 a month!

Looks like I cannot have a 3GS. Why are they treating their customers like this?

Aaron:mad:

2. Renderz macrumors 6502

3. alFR macrumors 68020

£7.50/month for insurance? Sounds like a ripoff to me. Buy a PAYG and put it on your house insurance (as a named item if you have to) - I bet it'll work out cheaper than the O2 insurance. Might be worth getting a quote from M&S contents insurance who will cover you for items up to £2500 (IIRC) without you having to name them specifically on the policy (i.e. likely covers your laptop etc. as well), with an option to cover your possessions worldwide.

4. Que macrumors 6502

Furious and upset? Over that?

If that's the worst life throws at you then you have it good.

5. BNZ1 macrumors regular

Sounds like the put their prices up but have been nice enough to let you keep paying your original price while you were on that plan?

I thought you could add multiple bolt-on's so you can just add unlimited text if you want it?

6. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

wait you can't have unlimited bolt ons for text anymore on the 3GS contract? thats rubbish, mms messages are 4 messages so people would need that!

7. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

on att MMS are 0 text messages. Cus MMS doesn't exist

8. The Phazer macrumors 68030

There are lots of places you can get insurance and for less than £7.50 a month.

Phazer

9. wazza12345 macrumors regular

Please elaborate. And only those with a proven history of paying out quickly and easily like O2 insurance does.

10. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

In the phone industry (UK) insurance is around £7 to £10 a month. It certainly is with Vodafone and O2. There is also a charge of £25 on each claim (excess). Business customers may get cheaper insurance.

The benefit is that you can have your phone lost/stolen/damaged, make a claim and get a replacement on the same day - if not then next working day.

Making a claim using house insurance on a mobile phone can take up to one month to replace.

11. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

12. iSimon macrumors regular

Looks pretty good cover - I currently use CUSC who offer similar price but bit more faff when it comes to claiming as you have to wait for them to send you a form. Talkcover's 48 hr replacement sounds much better! Think I'll switch to them when my CUSC cover expires.

13. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

i was going to use CUSC foneguard, but they are not listed on the FCS website even though they claim to be a member

14. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

My advantage gold insurance with Natwest covers my iPhone against Loss Theft or Damange. It's only £12.95 per month (and that covers my partners phone as well) But I also get travel insurance and many other benefits as well.

May be check with your back to see if they do a similar service.

15. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

Looks OK, although like with most insurances there seem to be quite a few exclusions from the cover. It also only covers up to £100 of unauthorised calls. When I had my mobile stolen, the cost of unauthorised calls far outweighed the value of the handset, and it was very painful paying the bill! That's one thing to bear in mind when insuring, especially via household insurance as this rarely seems to cover the cost of unauthorised calls.

16. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    One thing's for sure, you definitely need cover in London, I had 3 pinched in FOUR years. Be a cold day in hell before I set my phone down on a table in public again.

17. wazza12345 macrumors regular

Whhhaaat ? ahahah
    what the hell are you doing? leaving your phone on the table unattended while you go to the toilet? I can't see how you've had 3 pinched in 4 years... Sorry I don't mean this harshly but that's got nothing to do with London and a lot to do with you.

18. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Er yeah, you wouldn't have your iPhone on show in the middle of London :eek:
    That's just begging to be mugged!
    You wouldn't put it down for a second, with or without a toilet trip. *Brush* "oops, sorry!" - "erm, where did my phone go??"

Look after it better, and hopefully insurance won't be required :)

19. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

Why don't you buy the PAYG 3GS and swap the sims?

Or am i missing something?

20. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

As I said on your other thread with regard to insurance transfer, I contacted O2 and was told quite clearly that there is no problem transferring the insurance to a PAYG phone used to replace the contract phone:

Who told you you can't transfer the insurance?

O2 have stopped the unlimited text bolt-on so that's the same for everyone...

21. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Well one was at a cafe at King's Cross station - was with the ex-gf having coffee and a group of foreign kids run up with a map making a lot of noise in our faces, next thing I notice my phone is gone, and the kids have legged it.

Another time was at the student bar, left the phone on the bar for a second, turned around and it was gone.

Last time was when my flight was delayed overnight at Gatwick airport, I crashed out and when I got up several hours later, phone and wallet both gone.

I've lived in several countries and loads of cities - never had anything stolen. London is rife for petty crime. Was good though, I'm super cautious these days.

Edit: yeah I was jogging around Honor Oak Park one night too and a couple of 'African American' guys jumped me and tried to rip my iPod out of my pocket - they only got the headphones thankfully..

22. big_malk macrumors 6502a

I have my iPhone insured with HBOS (Halifax Bank of Scotland) Ultimate Reward Current Account. £12.50/month gives phone insurance, RAC breakdown cover, travel insurance, 'home emergency cover' (whatever that is), free £300 overdraft, fraud/identity theft protection, cover for all my cards (not just HBOS cards), and loads more things. Pretty good deal.

Anyone know how good they are at paying out and how quickly I'd get a replacement iPhone though?

23. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Quit signing your posts folks.

Thanks.

-Kahnyl

24. fluffer macrumors member

@redrog: O2 & Apple have been shrewd enough to block Pay & Go Sims and Simplicity tariffs from using the 3G S's full range of functions. You are bound to opt for a special tariff for the new iPhone in order to get the full use of items such as tethering (bolt on), MMS and data. I believe it will only act as a phone. :rolleyes:

25. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Not true.