Ultimate Ears Debuts 'BLAST' and 'MEGA BLAST' Speakers With Alexa Support and Charging Dock

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 19, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ultimate Ears, a company known for its line of rugged, colorful speakers with high-quality audio, today announced two new additions to its product lineup: the BLAST and the MEGABLAST. BLAST and MEGABLAST are Ultimate Ears' first Wi-Fi connected speakers.

[​IMG]

Designed as successors to the UE Boom 2 and UE Megaboom 2, the BLAST and MEGABLAST feature the same cylindrical body shape, bold design, and vivid colors as their predecessors, but Ultimate Ears has tweaked the look of the two devices, introducing less rounded edges for a sleeker form factor and a more streamlined color scheme.

[​IMG]

With the cylindrical design, the BLAST and MEGABLAST continue to offer 360-degree sound, and with the addition of Amazon Alexa support, the two speakers can be controlled hands-free with voice commands. Through Alexa, BLAST and MEGABLAST can play music from Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, and TuneIn, with support for Pandora and Deezer coming in the near future.

Wi-Fi support in the two speakers means music can continue to play even when your iPhone is in use, and through Alexa, the music can be controlled by anyone, making BLAST and MEGABLAST ideal for parties.

[​IMG]

Alexa integration is available in the United States, the UK, Germany, and Austria, and with a BLAST or MEGABLAST purchase, Amazon is offering a three-month subscription to Amazon Music Unlimited. Playing from Apple Music will continue to require a Bluetooth connection to an iPhone.

MEGABLAST has been engineered to be Ultimate Ears' loudest and best sounding speaker yet. It features two 25mm tweeters, two custom 35mm active drivers, and two passive radiators for a maximum output of 93 dBC, which is 40 percent louder than the Megaboom. According to Ultimate Ears, the MEGABLAST features a more powerful mid-range, deeper bass, and clearer vocals and instruments.

BLAST features two 35mm active drivers and two passive radiators with a maximum sound level of 90 dBC.

[​IMG]

Both BLAST and MEGABLAST are IP-67 water and dust resistant, drop proof (up to 5 feet) and offer all-day battery life. BLAST will last for 12 hours before needing to be recharged, while MEGABLAST boasts a 16 hour battery life.

Along with BLAST and MEGABLAST, Ultimate Ears is introducing the POWER UP, a sleek white charging dock that's designed to inductively charge BLAST and MEGABLAST. POWER UP is a standalone accessory, but will be sold alongside the two speakers in packages from some retailers.

[​IMG]

In the United States, BLAST and MEGABLAST will be available in Graphite (black), Blizzard (white), Merlot (red) and Blue Steel (blue). BLAST is priced at $230, while MEGABLAST is priced at $300. The POWER UP dock is priced at $40. All three products will be available for purchase from Ultimate Ears starting in late October.

Article Link: Ultimate Ears Debuts 'BLAST' and 'MEGA BLAST' Speakers With Alexa Support and Charging Dock

2. adamneer macrumors 6502

I can't for the life of me understand why they decided to arrange the volume buttons to look like a crucifix (cross). The overall designs this company has put out are actually pretty good, but I'd never buy a product with such a prominent religious symbol.

3. era86 macrumors newbie

Why does this dude have a bible sitting on his shelf?

4. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

With that price, 'm expecting Bluetooth 5.

Next
    : ULTRABLAST

5. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Just a minor correction. There was never a Megaboom 2. They’ve only released one. There is however a Boom 2.

6. jamesvdm macrumors regular

jamesvdm

--- Post Merged, Oct 19, 2017 ---
    I’ve never known UE to have “high-quality audio”

7. jadot, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017

jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

This has always been a bone of contention with these speakers (for me, and actually loads of others) - It would be so easy to turn that minus symbol around so it's horizontal or replace the cross altogether with arrow buttons or whatever else, but this [design] is a turn off for me.

Ultimate ears must know about this common criticism, but I guess they want to 'spread the word'.

All that said, I don't think this is the story here. It's Alexa.

The Sonos One, this, The new Amazon Echos - all point to one thing. Amazon is light years ahead in terms of market share and Apple are not going to be able to catch up with the homepod alone. I've recently moved from Apple music to Amazon Prime unlimited. Why? Because I can kit my home out with Echo Dots, hook them up to speakers I already own, and hit up Alexa, which works 100 times better than Siri, all day long, for less than the price of one Homepod, and a cheaper monthly subscription than Apple Music.

Unless Apple release a 'Homepod Nano' for £100 max. they're not going to be able to touch Amazon, and that's even presuming that Siri can improve and catch up in the short space of time before Hopmepod's launch.

This won't be the last Alexa enabled speaker either.

What would you do?

8. alexgowers, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017

alexgowers macrumors 65816

The pictures and design really hammer it home that this is a speaker made for christians. Even if it was initially a mistake you can't make a design and PR release look like this and not admit you are promoting mysticism and christ.

Even the very very close plus and minus is deliberate. I wonder if they think this is a wise move, I can't see any advantage not outweighed by negative backlash.

[​IMG]

9. Shoju macrumors regular

Shoju

Maybe they thought it’s an untapped market. I mean, I haven’t seen too many of their speakers sitting around in churches so far.. ;)

10. Danoc macrumors 6502

I have the Miniboom and the Wonderboom. Excellent build quality, great sound.

11. bandrews macrumors 6502a

No, that makes them the complete opposite of ideal for parties.

12. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Not even that. I have Christian friends who find this idea deeply offensive. I think it's lose-lose except for people who would find it hilarious, which I hope isn't the point.

That top photo makes them look like very funky coffins though.

13. AlexH macrumors 68020

AlexH

This would’ve been a great gift while I was in seminary. Haha.

14. vault macrumors regular

They look like coffins on that first picture.

15. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Looking at all the posts shows how much Christianity has been embedded in the western society whether we want to admit this or not.
    Where this is manufactured it doesn't even come to mind but is just a plus & minus symbol since Christianity or other religions are forcibly suppressed.
    If this was manufactured in Egypt and they used a swastika for one of the symbols it would be accepted as an ancient local symbol yet the western society would reject it saying it was a symbol of hate.

16. Bystander macrumors newbie

Bystander

It’s the Devil’s tool! Turn it upside down and it becomes a symbol of Satanism.

Relax it’s just a design feature.

17. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Kirk: "And this is what it would sound like... underwater."

18. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

It's honestly super weird that you guys are so triggered by a cross. I'm a Christian and didn't even see it until you guys pointed it out.

19. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Wow!! Come on guys, it’s a plus and a minus symbol. It’s not a cross. And even if they did want you to see a cross why would it be so bad. Maybe the folks at the company are really religious. But if not, it’s a plus and a minus symbol. smh

20. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

If these only supported Google Assistant, guess I will look at JBL new Google Assistant Bluetooth/wifi speakers.

21. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Nothing that turning it 180 degrees wouldn't fix :rolleyes:

22. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

Love the article in PC Mag back in June that proved these things are really nothing more than overpriced, overhyped egg timers...

[​IMG]

23. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

So he can pray to Jesus you heathen

24. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

It _is_ a very odd design choice, I mean, it's so conspicuous, I don't see how it's not by design ...

UE makes some incredible, high end IEMs (including custom fit), even though they got into more consumer oriented gear (post Logitech acquisition I believe ...)

When you do that, it also plays all your music backwards. It's a +feature+! :D
    --- Post Merged, Oct 19, 2017 ---

I guess this guy is reaching out to Jesus for some help in the card game.

25. quikrick11 macrumors newbie

I PRAY that everyone referring to the "+" for volume control as an affront to Christianity is just trolling. If plus signs offend you, you are going to have a long miserable existence. Go back to complaining about cupcake calories in google maps.