ultimate office computer chair

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by whyrichard, Sep 27, 2007.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

hello,

my back aches, and it's three in the morning, and i want... finally... a darn good office computer chair.

not something completely wacky... just the finest office computer chair.

hard to find concrete stuff online, whats your advice?

thanks,
    r.

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

3. gormond macrumors regular

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I didn't say they were cheap. ;)
    But as I say I have used the same chair since 1999 and it is still perfect — and so is my back and posture. :D

PS. But look on eBay, there are lots of used ones there.

5. gormond macrumors regular

I just couldn't bring myself to spend the same amount of cash as an iMac on a chair lol :D

6. garan macrumors newbie

I've got a medium width Herman Miller Aeron and think it's great - bought it second hand off eBay. When I go to other people's offices I really notice how uncomfortable their cheap chairs are. My mate is 6'8" and weighs over 20 stone. The wide Aeron that he's got in his office has significantly reduced his back pain.

The BBC's Question Time programme uses the chairs - seeing the Prime Minister sitting in one was qudos!

Garan.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

A lot of people just look at the price and baulk, but the cost to their health is ignored. :confused: And yes, secondhand off eBay is good way to get one.

8. gormond macrumors regular

My health isn't ignored, I find £100-£200 chairs do me perfectly fine, I can sit on it all day and I don't get back pains, of coarse i'm not 20 stone, just a measly 11.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Or off Craigslist. :) I'd personally rather see it in person first, rather than deal with the potential headaches of buying off eBay and getting a fake-- as there are plenty of Aeron (and other Herman Miller product) fakes.

:edit:

Take a look on Craigslist/ eBay. You can find them (if really lucky) for $300 or so, or anywhere in the $400-$500 range, which isn't cheap, but not the new, MSRP of $1K.

And just for kicks in case anyone can't click onto the link in post #2, the Aeron is a well-known (and often seen in TV shows/ ads/ movies) a pic here:

P_AER_L122.jpg

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well, true. But you're not the original poster complaining about back aches… were you? ;)

11. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'll add my support for an Aeron chair. I've had one for 4 years now and it is as comfortable as the day I bought it. I wish I had one at work, although I have a pretty good chair.

13. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Ditto the support for that chair. Used that at a fair few different studios and they are great. They are certainly expensive for a single chair no-doubt.

But it's nothing is expensive when it comes to things like your spine, or from the point of companies, $1k or untold amount of money settling cases with employess over claims. ;)

14. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

15. gormond macrumors regular

Out of curiosity how much would it cost me in the UK for one of these chairs ? and does anyone know a good place to buy new or second hand?

16. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

17. gormond macrumors regular

18. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

Herman Miller Mira chair....I have had it for 5 years...and it still looks new.

19. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Another Herman Miller Aeron fan here! I've had mine at my workstation at home for a couple years now and I really love it. I notice the difference when sitting in another type of office chair. My back thanks me!

20. T-Stex macrumors 6502

As soon as I saw the title, I was thinking I'd be the genius to say the Aeron. Apparently everyone else had the same idea as me. If you're looking for a great chair and don't mind spending a bit more, get this one. I absolutely love mine.

21. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

22. Cavemate K macrumors member

I sat in one of those when visiting a friend at Stanford (an entire classroom was equipped with them). Those chairs are by far the best that I've ever tried. Sure they're expensive, but if you actually give one a try, then the price won't be such an issue, believe me!

23. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I must be the odd man out because I used one while interning at a studio and it wasn't orgasmic. It was by no stretch aweful but I've sat in chairs that felt as comfortable.

It must just be me though. I mean, I can sleep on the floor without getting a back ache. I usually find that any chair I sit on and and do work that I scoot to the front edge of the chair. If not any chair hurts my back and severely limits my mobility even that one. I think it's because it forces you to have good posture, sitting on the edge I mean. I learned that one while in a touring choir ... you can't sing well when your back is on the back of the seat because posture suffers greatly.

24. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I'll tell you what's NOT the ultimate office chair. The one I'm sitting in now at work. It's an OK chair, but I've had to add an extra bum-cushion because the existing one makes me sore after extended periods.

My last company had the Aerons. I didn't love mine at first (took some getting used to) but now that I don't have it, I miss it.

I'd buy one for here myself if I wasn't afraid it would get stolen from my cube :p

25. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I used to use Aerons for the 'highly bummed' (well - they do say 'highly trafficked' for corridors travelled often) main lab and home office seating and there are still quite a lot around in the labs and offices I bought stuff for, but I've found better ones from a posture point of view. The Aeron's mesh seating / back is great in some ways. e.g. if you happen to fart a lot for example and the adjustability is great, but the slouch potential of the seat is still high.

I like the RH Logic 400 for example, and I prefer it over the Aeron for intensive sitting (something I do a lot of these days...). But it doesn't look as good as the Aeron so some of you more dedicated Apple fanatics might steer clear... :p Price is about the same as, or a tiny bit more than the Aeron once fully configured.