Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Got my video card. Installed without any issues in my 2006 mac pro. It was plug and play with 10.5.7 installed.

And here is my OpenGL score. I don't know what any of these OpenGL versions mean, so I also don't understand the frames per second of each test, but...
screen-capture-3-1.png

Sumimasen

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2009
I believe that the intention of this thread was a good one - to give a definitive guide on how to get the PC 4890 to run on a mac. Unfortunately, there is such a huge amount of conflicting information in here now, it's kinda backfiring.

Could someone please post a concise list of what needs to be downloaded and installed, in one post, just so all those looking to take the plunge and buy one of these cards can get all the info quickly and easily - maybe it would be a good idea to edit the first post to make it a little less of a diary, and more a definitive step by step guide (which I'm sure the thread was originally intended to be).

The thread is great, and full of useful info - it's just getting a little bogged down now. And please don't take any offence at this - there's certainly none intended! :)

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Are you saying you literally plugged it in and it worked? No injector?

Yes. Sorry, but this thread got a little derailed from the original intent. We got into a discussion of performance, and I mentioned that I was getting the "official" Apple Radeon 4870 card. That card worked on my mac pro classic without any workarounds, NOT the PC Radeon 4890. Sorry for the confusion.

Mustard Chops

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
Yes. Sorry, but this thread got a little derailed from the original intent. We got into a discussion of performance, and I mentioned that I was getting the "official" Apple Radeon 4870 card. That card worked on my mac pro classic without any workarounds, NOT the PC Radeon 4890. Sorry for the confusion.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the clarification :)

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
I believe that the intention of this thread was a good one - to give a definitive guide on how to get the PC 4890 to run on a mac. Unfortunately, there is such a huge amount of conflicting information in here now, it's kinda backfiring.

The problem is, the only one that got it working (me) fried his logic board when connecting his third party cooler by the wrong way.

There really is not much to do until I get my computer back and fill in the missing pieces of puzzle. I am hoping it will arrive this week.

By the way, bozz, your scores were extremely high, in fact ALOT higher then Zokim (his score is on my benchmarking site).

But you should use 1900x1200 to make a fair comparison. Your score should be equal to his.

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
The problem is, the only one that got it working (me) fried his logic board when connecting his third party cooler by the wrong way.

There really is not much to do until I get my computer back and fill in the missing pieces of puzzle. I am hoping it will arrive this week.

By the way, bozz, your scores were extremely high, in fact ALOT higher then Zokim (his score is on my benchmarking site).

But you should use 1900x1200 to make a fair comparison. Your score should be equal to his.

He can't use 1900x1200, it only allows you to use the highest resolution of your monitor, and I'm assuming he's using a 20" Monitor so that's as high as he can go.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
P.S. - I think it would be useful to find a benchmarking program that takes into account only the GPU performance. My numbers are higher because I have a smaller (22") display? There has to be a better way! Cinebench maybe? Does that work?

Syonidism

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Turkey
just to be on the safe side since cindori used the word "fried" after making a tutorial :D

the said card that can work with the woodcrest mac pro a.k.a. first gen is this one right???

Someone in my position(or yours) is supposed to get one thats not Overclocked by default i mean. I see some other versions where there are +/-100 Mhz more on memory and engine clocks... is that an issue???

Also my little cousin pointed out the sticker change on the cards:D whats that about? the girls in "war mode" on yours and "idle" on the one in the site. lol?:D

and i suppose/hope that the reason your logic board got fried is because of the overclocking and custom fan building... otherwise im short 250 $ :p

On another note, i hate it that x1900 (atrocious card) is worth 31$ after its been given me sOOOO much headache... *sigh*:(

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
the said card that can work with the woodcrest mac pro a.k.a. first gen is this one right???

Someone in my position(or yours) is supposed to get one thats not Overclocked by default i mean. I see some other versions where there are +/-100 Mhz more on memory and engine clocks... is that an issue???

Also my little cousin pointed out the sticker change on the cards:D whats that about? the girls in "war mode" on yours and "idle" on the one in the site. lol?:D

and i suppose/hope that the reason your logic board got fried is because of the overclocking and custom fan building... otherwise im short 250 $ :p

That is the exact card I got working dual dvi.

You should not get OC versions cause hardware can differ and give bad results.

The sticker is a mystery, so far my experience is that all the online picture are without guns and all the irl card stickers are with guns.

My 4890 worked fine. After I installed the cooler I accidently plugged in two power cables instead of one. Then it broke my mac.

Im just hoping my card is not broken too.

I have a 4890 running in mine....what do we need to know?

Got dual dvi? Cause any card will run 1 display.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
4890 news

So, I am running an MSI 4890.

Using Netkas stuff.

Rns great EXCEPT...........has the single DVI issue....behaves just like a flashed 4870 that doesn't do Dual DVI....ie, on first connection both monitors go blue, followed a few seconds later by a hard restart.

Someon needs to find out if XFX has same issue.

With any luck, the 4890 DID may get added to 10.5.8 or 10.5.9 and then we could maybe write a ROM.

Until then, there are issues. But I think there is a good chance that XFX 4890 may do Dual DVI.

Whiteyez

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
ATI HD 4890 - Quad 2.66 '09 and Nvidia GT120 just for comparison.

Attachments

• Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    85.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 156

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
I have already told why, like 10 times :p

when I connected the 3rd party cooler I used both power wires when only one was supposed to be connected

I dont know why, I dont know how, but my logic board stopped working cause of that

anyway, what I am hoping for now, is that my 4890 is not broken, and that it will not break a second logic board -_-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.