UltraViolet Digital Movie Locker Service Will Close on July 31, 2019

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 31, 2019.

1. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Well, finally got in. Now my digital copies of Rick & Morty are on Vudu.

For how long...? o_O

2. warp9 macrumors member

warp9

I've been avoiding UltraViolet all these years because I knew this would happen. The same reason I avoid almost all media sub services. Even my ISP/cable provider shut down their own streaming service after only one year.

3. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

But you can still watch all of those with working equipment. All the DVDs can be converted to digital files to play on everything you have. Many do just this—rip the movie and put the disc on a shelf.

4. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

I agree. When news like this hits, I understand why many tout the superiority of physical media (and in many ways it is) However, as you said, the collections that you had were all eventually discarded or replaced for something else. That's how I feel as well. The CD's & Disney VHS tapes I had as a kid are all gone.....

Yes, in technical terms, as in the VHS example listed earlier in the thread, it would be "possible" to continue to play a particular piece of physical media forever, but how many people truly would hold on to formats that are no longer manufactured AND continue to use them? Yes, you can.....but for me,

For me, I never look at ANY media I purchased as "forever" anyway (or pretty much merchandise in general whether clothes, shoes, electronics, etc) so for me, I still prefer digital.

UltraViolet shutting down doesn't change that for me.....I understand the risk, but it works for me. If for whatever reason one day it doesn't, I'll adjust & move on to something that does. (Plus, I don't spend that much on physical media anymore anyway, lol)

5. Rigby macrumors 601

Below an update from Vudu. For now there will be very little impact since most people already use Vudu to play their UV movies. In the long run I'd feel better if the remaining studios joined Movies Anywhere, so that their movies transfer over to Apple and Amazon (which are most likely to be around for a long time). But who knows what Walmart (owner of Vudu) might do in the future in the media segment ...

https://vudu.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/410

[...]
    If you have an UltraViolet Library linked to Vudu, rest assured that all of your movies and TV that are linked via UltraViolet will continue to be accessible at Vudu leading up to the shutdown and after, including titles purchased from other retailers that are imported into Vudu from your UltraViolet Library.
    To ensure continued access to your linked titles beyond the UltraViolet shutdown, please do not unlink your UltraViolet account from Vudu. Unlinking your UltraViolet account before the shutdown will result in permanent loss of access to titles in your UltraViolet library.
    [...]

6. Beanbaggage macrumors newbie

Beanbaggage

I purchased the 4K version of the movie “Kin” that came with a digital copy ONLY available through Ultraviolet. Though I have it synced with VUDU and Fandango (both of these are linked ALSO to movies anywhere) Kin only shows up in my ultraviolet account.... so I just lost this digital copy.

Any body know any way around this?

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

another reason to manage your own digital content vs trust various companies

8. Rigby macrumors 601

Are you in the US? If yes, this is very strange, since Kin was released by Lionsgate here and they don't issue UV codes anymore. It is also not possible to redeem codes directly through UV, so you must have used a retailer. Kin in particular was redeemable at iTunes, Google Play, Vudu or FandangoNow. It is not a Movies Anywhere movie (since Lionsgate doesn't participate in MA yet).

9. Philg5150 macrumors newbie

Philg5150

What am I missing here? I bought movies on Vudu and Kaleidescape and these two services shared the movies via my UV account. When UV goes away I’ll still have all my movies, the only thing different is they won’t share going forward. Thoughts....

10. Jay-Jacob macrumors regular

Jay-Jacob

I not surprised this happen in end. I was expecting this happen. UV is awful and lot of work to get it download and even try to watch it and I never watch any film on UV but I do watch lot of iTunes film. I know I can access my library from Flixster after UV close down but how I see my Sony Entertainment library? There doesn't seem anyway see them without UV.

In UK iTunes code with DVD/Bluray is extremely rare! I hope after UV gone they finally bring iTunes code back again! Please bring back iTunes code. Now wait and see what happen next.

11. toke lahti macrumors 68020

Well,
    Most people don’t buy or rent their music or movies of tv-shows anymore.
    It’s all aboutstreaming; netflix & spotify, etc.

How many years do you think that apple will offer cloud backups of your content, when they can say: ”Just subscribe for $19.99/month and all your content is there!”? And BOOM, your library is gone, from the (i)cloud at least.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2019 ---
    That’s why you have ”hard copies”, pysical disks. They are the backup, no other way to get instant free backups with zero effort.

12. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

And contributing to the hidden cost for that security is being locked into Apple's ecosystem and more specifically, Apple hardware. You are subject to what Apple produces. When a device needs to be replaced (that you use to access that digital media), it's going to have to be Apple.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing. For those who use and enjoy Apple products (along Apple's "happy path") the cost is worth it. But it is a "cost" that people should consider. I'm seeing an increasing number of people who want to diversify their hardware and services beyond Apple. In the past, the reason for staying with Apple was the quality of the hardware, but now they're saying it is their investment in digital media that keeps them.

13. ruka.snow macrumors member

ruka.snow

Bought time this rather pointless service shut down, hopefully when we see digital download included in the future it'll include a useful digital download.

14. 76morgan macrumors newbie

15. dino12 macrumors member

I use Tuneskit. It works great for me.

16. Razeus macrumors 603

This is why I like buying from iTunes. Plus the fact they give you an actual file, while the rest of these digital movie services don't.

Having an actual file "do things to the file" to make it truly mine and centralize all my media via NAS/Plex.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2019 ---
    Signed up for an account at MoviesAnywhere.com

17. mic j macrumors 68030

My understanding is that Tuneskit no longer works on OSX versions later than Yosemite.

18. dino12 macrumors member

You are correct. I was using it on my 2008 Macbook but it was getting slow so i bought a new Mac Mini and found out it doesnt work. I emailed the company and they gave me a Windows license for the program for free. They told me that no program to remove the DRM will work later then Yosemite. At least the windows version works.

19. mic j macrumors 68030

So you have to pay for Windows and VM app. Or do you run Windows in Bootcamp? Their website says it will now work with Sierra but not High Sierra. Luckily I am running El Capitan on an old Mac that I use as a server for my aTV

20. dino12 macrumors member

I haven't tried Bootcamp or Parallels. I run it on my work PC. That's a good question though, i'm not sure if it would work. One good thing is that when they transferred my license over the app still works on my mac.

21. Smearbrick macrumors regular

Yeah... not true. New versions and everything works fine on both Mac and Windows. If you buy a license for one OS, they’ll give you the other OS license for free.

22. mic j macrumors 68030

Their website states it does not work with High Sierra. Are you using it on High Sierra?

23. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Yeah.... a friend of mine had that.... then the house went up in flames. No more “hard copies”

24. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Homeowners have insurance against catastrophes like that and can replace the media lost. When a digital service pulls the plug, there's no recourse.

25. 2010mini macrumors 68040

True. But just a bit of correction... it the content owners who usually pull the plug. Digital service usually just provide the locker system.

Dunno why UV is shutting down. Studios formed UV just to make sure what Apple did with the music industry didn’t happen to them. Now it seems another studio, Disney, linking their locker with nearly everyone made UV obsolete... same with Sony’s locker system.