Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Curious what your thought are. Ulysses is now a subscription app.

I just bought and started using this app. It's slick and works well, but I don't think I can justify *another* subscription.

What do you all think?

saxman1969

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008
I recently decided to give Scrivener another try since they added an iOS version. This news pretty much confirms that I'll be switching back for good.

Reactions: AleRod

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
There we go all over again. Another "coffee to go" gone.

Wonder how people will react to this now, considering many did not like Bear because it was subscription.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
$50/year (or $5/month) subscription for both iOS (formerly $25 paid) and macOS (formerly $45 paid) is not a bad deal but not great either.

As a general rule of thumb, when a paid app switches to subscription model, I want minimum of 2-year worth of subscription to be equivalent to previous paid pricing ($50 is 1.4 years of $70). And the pricing is a slap in the face to iOS-only customers.

As comparison, Office 365 Personal (1 user license) costs only $70/year (and 5 user license is only $100/year).

Adobe Creative Cloud is $600/year for for a collection of apps that cost between $1900 and $2600. And $120/year for just Photoshop and Lightroom.

Reactions: lexvo

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
You're supposed to be waived for up to 18-months if you just bought it, so I would contact them about that.
Yeah, I read about that.

I guess for me, I love Scrivener and went with Ulysses because it's a little more seamless, but I don't think the value is there for me with alternatives. If Ulysses was the only game in town I wouldn't mind.

Reactions: macintoshmac

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Great Article by Ulysses which explains it very well. Ulysses is a quality application and they are being quite reasonable in my opinion. I do get though why so many people struggle with all the different subscription model approaches as it all mounts up. However, it is then down to us as consumers to decide what we then want to pay for or not. I can see other developers follow suit such as OmniGraffle. Another bonus is you can just use it whenever you want, say for example 2 months which is sometimes all you need, thus avoiding having to splash out more money than what you want to.

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
Well I used to enjoy a few cups of coffee a week, but now it seems I need to be buying dozens of cups even for apps I use infrequently. Instead of buying even more cups of coffee I might just stop drinking coffee altogether.

Now if they were offering a special blend of coffee as an optional extra, maybe. But to all those that use this all the time and wouldn’t mind staying longer at Starbux, I’m tired of the place.

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
Writers don't usually make much money. With a lot of subscription services/software it is easy to lose track of what's being taken out of your bank account every month. For writers especially, this is a bit of a problem. For that reason alone I decry the move to the subscription model--much better to pay for the software one time only.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I won't do subscription, not when I've already paid $70 or more for the Mac and IOS versions, so I will keep using them for now, but I think I read that they won't support non subscription versions after the Ios11 upgrade. So it will be goodbye Ulysses for me when the apps are no longer functional.

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
For some users it may be more cost effective to use Ulysses as part of Setapp. If you use Ulysses via the Setapp subscription, it will automatically unlock the iOS app as well.

Last edited:

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
Wow the MacOS version of Ulysses now has a nag screen?? This is bad practise.

I thought uninstalling and moving to another application was an overreaction yesterday, but now reconsidering. Nag screen appears on every launch, even when you select remind me later.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I was considering locking myself in at the 50% discount and giving it a year to see what happens with development. Then I saw that they are doing questionable maths, where they say you get a 50% loyalty discount on the annual price, but calculate your 50% discount on the monthly price. I might just go back to iA writer at this point.

DG9NXX8UwAAC255.jpg

Bustycat

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2015
New Taipei, Taiwan
I was considering locking myself in at the 50% discount and giving it a year to see what happens with development. Then I saw that they are doing questionable maths, where they say you get a 50% loyalty discount on the annual price, but calculate your 50% discount on the monthly price. I might just go back to iA writer at this point.

DG9NXX8UwAAC255.jpg
I just cannot trust a company with executives who cannot calculate the basic math.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Wow the MacOS version of Ulysses now has a nag screen?? This is bad practise.

I thought uninstalling and moving to another application was an overreaction yesterday, but now reconsidering. Nag screen appears on every launch, even when you select remind me later.

This is pure bad taste. They're taking too much for granted.
[doublepost=1502470598][/doublepost]

DG9NXX8UwAAC255.jpg

Oh wow. This is... beautiful. How artistically two more coffees yanked out of my hand while telling me a lie. Gotta love the power of words, no doubt worded in their very own software. Didn't expect this at all from these guys.
[doublepost=1502470736][/doublepost]
I just cannot trust a company with executives who cannot calculate the basic math.

They have. They just don't feel you'll be smart enough to figure it out. It shows how much they respect you, the person handing them his own hard earned and deserved coffee-to-go's. Pathetic attempt by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.