Um, are there no more Spaces in Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by miamialley, Jul 20, 2011.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I don't see how to set up Spaces. Please tell me this feature is not gone!

2. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

So you can only add a "desktop" if you try to drag a program from the expose(?) menu. Then you drag that window to the plus symbol in the upper right. That's how you create a new desktop. Apparently, you can't arrange the desktops in any other form other than a horizontal line?

3. andyroog macrumors newbie

Hover in the top right hand corner, where the + thing comes if you drag the application, and the + thing should appear – click it to make a new one (and again for another, and so on).

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Spaces kinda got merged into the new mission control

5. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Yeah, I think I get how it works now. I think it's fine, except I don't *think* you can have a set number of desktops available by default and also you can't set an application to open in a specific desktop by default. Anybody know if you can do this?

...if you restart your computer, you always default to one desktop. As opposed to your specified number of spaces as in Leopard.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I manually opened 5 "desktops" on my computer and even when I restarted, they stayed there (with their respective wallpaper)

7. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Hmm, when I restarted I only had 1 desktop. I had 3 open before my restart.

8. mfram macrumors 65816

Under SL, I had 4 virtual desktops lined up in a row. After the Lion install, the Mission Control screen still shows 4 desktops lined up in a row even if nothing is running on them. I set up a key combination of control-(left arrow) and control-(right arrow) to move to the different desktops. That still works under Lion for me.

9. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

In SL I had 4 spaces set up in a 2 x 2 formation. That we can't do anymore.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

If you go to the space you want to put an app in, right click it in the dock, then choose "Assign to Space" then it will always open in that space.

11. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Thanks!

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Am I the only who is missing the Command + Arrow Key to quickly navigate between virtual screens? Mission Control is nice, but it still would have been great to keep a bit more functionality from Spaces.

13. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

I'm still able to use my assigned keystroke with the left/right keys to move between them.

14. sparkyms macrumors 65816

try CTRL and directional buttons

15. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Maybe you mean Control + Arrow keys .. it still works anyway. But true, Desktops can only be arranged in horizontal layout, no longer matrix

16. Michael73 macrumors 65816

OK, so I get that there's no longer a Spaces matrix and now it's just a big long line of desktops but nevertheless is there a way to keep the desktop number in the status bar? There used to be an option in system preferences to show it in the status bar.

For example, I always kept Mail in space 1, iCal in space 2, safari in space 3, iPhoto in space 8 and iTunes in space 9. Without the number in the status bar, I have no idea where in the line I'm at.

17. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Yeah, I miss this feature too. Did you know you can assign a different wallpaper to each desktop by just changing the current one for each desktop? That may help you track where you are. Still, I'd like the number in the status bar.

18. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

The four-finger swipe is great for me - a perfect replacement for the ctrl-arrow combo.

19. amrusch2 macrumors member

The Adobe CS apps kind of suck in this. Anyone think Adobe will go full screen soon??

20. Sudaddy macrumors member

May be I am too tired to read all the issues regarding not to be able to find "Spaces" in Mission Control, but on my Mission Control, I see a transparent "+" sign on top left, rather than top right as Apple advertised (? - again too tired to remember, but I think it was towards top right in some website/advertisement).

So, go to Mission Control and see if you can add a new "Desktop" or "Space" but hovering your mouse on top left, rather top right.

21. iRager macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was trying out this feature and I set up 3 desktops, so I assigned firefox to desktop 1, App Store to desktop 2 and itunes to desktop 3.

When I open firefox and app store they open up on their assigned desktops but with itunes it does the transition where it looks like its going to open on desktop 3 but ends up opening on whatever desktop I am currently on.

Anyone know how to fix this?