um... did anyone notice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kylebshr, Feb 14, 2012.

1. kylebshr, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

kylebshr macrumors regular

I don't know if I should start a new thread, but... Opinions! Is it just me, or did /nobody/ notice that the iPhone 5 CAD "leaks" had no silence button? I seriously doubt Apple would ever drop that from the iPhone - it's one of my favorite features :p but seriously, it seems really odd if nobody noticed...

EDIT: Here's a link to what I'm talking about :) http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/10/this-could-be-what-apples-iphone-5-looks-like/

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I seriously doubt those iPhone 5 CAD leaks were from Apple.

3. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Sorry, but I don't even know what you're talking about. How about a link, or even posting in the thread where this leak was reported, if it exists?

And the "silence button" is really called the "sleep/wake" button but serves as the on/off switch, so I'd be doubtful it'd disappear.

4. Gonzo89 macrumors newbie

In pretty sure you're thinking of the power/standby button... Not the silent toggle.

5. kylebshr thread starter macrumors regular

I'm actually talking about this silence toggle: http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/DvMEOcJpVW2KLPmC.medium

And these are the leaks I'm talking about: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/10/this-could-be-what-apples-iphone-5-looks-like/

6. DroidRules macrumors 65816

From Aug 2010? I don't think those would be from Apple or the design would be the same after a year and a half. Boosting the post count though.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

8. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

My bad. You are correct. Like I said before, a link or some sort of context would've helped.

See what you are getting at now, but that is pretty stale stuff.

9. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

That's from almost 2 years ago. I think they would be looking at a different design by now?

10. kylebshr thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but my point is that, at the time, everybody thought it was legit or close to legit. Obviously it proved false, but I'm merely musing over that fact that nobody thought this was a blaring signal that it was fake.

11. trenfro macrumors newbie

12. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

At the time I never believed it was a leaked CAD drawing of the next iPhone. Because of the lack of a silent toggle I kept insisting those were leaked CAD drawing of the next iPod touch. Looks more like an iPod touch than an iPhone to me.

13. kylebshr thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting thought - but why would they have a phone speaker?

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Those CAD "leaks" were for what is currently the 4S (look at the date). In other words, 100% fake. I don't know that I would mind not having a silence switch, so long as they added something to the lockscreen like they have done for the camera.

15. kylebshr thread starter macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure there was an article that these were def prototypes... right here on Macrumors (after the 4S was announced).

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Why now? And I really don't think Apple feels the need to have a silence toggle in order to make it an iPhone. There are many ways to skin a cat. Personally, the fewer hardware buttons, the better IMO.

17. kylebshr thread starter macrumors regular

Why now? I was just remembering how I was going to be holding a nice iPhone /5/ about this time :p And no!!!! I looooove the silent switch! (I'm a student, so it's extremely useful, being in and out of classes so much).

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am a student too... not sure how it is more useful than tapping a stationary button on the lockscreen, but whatever makes you happy. I know other OS's handle the lack of a toggle by simply having you tap volume down twice.

----------

My point is... they were pretty wrong, no?