Um.. did I hit the Apple jackpot?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by macgeek18, Feb 9, 2011.

1. macgeek18, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

So, here's my little story, I was in a local computer shop buying an SSD for one of my computers today and a guy came in and had a bunch of computer stuff he wanted dumped. So the owner, also one of my friends asked me to help carry in the boxes. As I opened the trunk of the car I almost passed out literally. In the back of his trunk was a whole bunch of Apple boxes all saying Apple //c on them. So I asked the owner if I could have them to save them from being dumped he said sure trying to save money on dumping I guess. So, here is a few items I got, Apple //c, //c color monitor, monitor stand, imagewriter // with it's box. Apple 5.25" external floppy drive. and when I opened them I almost again passed out. All of it was in amazing shape with all the original paperwork and disks. I opened the image writer box and found all of the original disks for it and original Apple stickers still in the package. :) The //c mouse, joystick for //e and //c. Appleworks for //c and all the boxes for everything. I also have like 5 boxes of 5.25" floppy program disks. :) I even have reference sheets for both so i can try to figure out an Apple //c tonight. I also got 5" floppy disk from pc magazine and pc computing. I feel so blessed to have been able to rescue all of this. here's a ton if pictures I took. :)

Attached Files:

2. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Here's more pics.

Attached Files:

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The IIc was my first computer (bought it used around 1991/1992). I was like 8 or 9. :) I wish I would have kept it. I remember going to the computer lab (filled with Apple IIe's) at school with a package of blank 5.25" floppies and having the lab director copy every MECC and Broderbund game they owned (Oregon Trail, Pizza to Go, Lights Out, Carmen Sandiego, The Print Shop, etc).

Good times.

5. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

6. cootersgarage6, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

Omg!

OMG! That stuff is going to be worth SOOOOOO much money like next year. That's a lot of good stuff! That guy is stupid.!!! LOl

7. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I hoped I hit the jackpot. I've been sitting here playing Lode Runner and teaching myself how to use it with the great disk Apple gives with you to teach you how to program it. Appleworks is sweet to.

8. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

But this is new old Apple stuff. But otherwise I agree. How many kilobits of RAM would this Apple have? I won't settle for anything less than 4GB these days.

Pardon my vulgarity, but how much would all this be worth? OP, I say sell it to some drooling collector and treat yourself to a Macbook Air- with the 4GB RAM upgrade of course.

9. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I have no idea what it's worth. if it's worth as much as you say if someone offered me the right amount I would sell it in a heartbeat. New MBP from a freabie? sounds good to me. But, it would take the right price. And have to go to someone who appreciates it.

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

No not really...

I can PM the address where to "dump" all that... :eek:

;)

11. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

It's a neat haul to be sure, just don't start thinking it's valuable regardless of what some others here seem to think. If I want an Apple //c, I can get one on eBay for $10-$25. The fact that your stuff is in like new condition and boxed might make it a bit more valuable to a collector, but there just aren't that many collectors of obsolete tech.

An item is only worth what you can get someone to pay for it.

12. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I agree, it's probably not even worth anything with all the stuff. I was worth saving because it's an 1984 Mac. Plus it had all the extra stuff and it will probably sit on display for the rest of it's life and my kids with end up with it then it may be worth something. ;)

13. MacHamster68, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

it might not be a jackpot in terms of resell value , but for a collector to find everything even in the original boxes with all floppy's and documentation and then in really good condition is kind of a dream , ok certainly you cant do much with it , but i would try to play all the old games you could get in the 80's and maybe as there is a printer even write letters ,i certainly would find some use for it other then just display , but keep the boxes ,cool even the original apple stickers:)

14. pcshrink macrumors newbie

pcshrink

list it on eBay. That is where you will find how much it is worth.

15. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

noooo dont sell it on ebay keep it ,it was a act of god that you had been there when the boxes came ,the apple has choosen that you should be his new owner :)

16. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Awesome haul.

Y'know, I've been drooling over the Apple IIc ever since Sister Rebecca (our Librarian, yes, I'm a Catholic school victim) got one my Freshman year of high school.

Recently with the group making the modern Commodore remakes, I've pondered getting an old Apple IIc and gutting it and putting in the guts from like a Mini, or even a Macbook.

17. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Lol, tell that to the Performa that is now sitting buried under Apple IIc boxes. :p

18. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I haven't played much with it since I've been at work the last couple days. as in selling it? I don't know.

19. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

i just sold a similar setup a few months back... apple II+/monitor/monitor stand and software. all with orginal boxes etc... sold it for like $200+ shiping... so yeah u did very well

20. ehoui macrumors regular

I wonder how much you could make on ebay by cleaning and selling it separately?

21. Corbin052198 macrumors 6502

Corbin052198

22. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

like they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

23. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Practical? Not exactly. I got a IIe setup for free from an in-law some years ago. Having programmed one in high school, I thought this would have some retro cool to it. I soon realized I couldn't do as much as I thought I could because of the technological limitations, so I gave it away a few months afterward.

Full of win and awesomesauce anyway? Oh h-e-hockeysticks yeah, especially considering your IIc's condition and original packaging, which is much better than my old setup. I say keep it, for a while anyway.

24. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Crazy awesome. I don't hit jackpots. I usually get jacked.:(

25. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    Nice! The IIc was quite a portable computer back in the day. Small for its size yet capable of outputting color graphics. They even made an optional LCD screen for it, but it was ridiculously expensive.

Glad you were able to find one in such excellent condition!