UMB HD into the 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ddeadserious, Jun 8, 2009.

1. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I've got a 2.0 Unibody Macbook right now, it has a 320GB 7200RPM Seagate drive in it.

I'm selling the 2.0 Macbook to a friend, and I'll be swapping the drives.

My question is, do you anticipate any issues with just physically swapping the drive from my Macbook to the new Macbook Pro?

It would just be cool to make my transition smooth so I don't have to bother deactivating/reinstalling software and stuff.

Most of the hardware is the same, but I'm concerned there may be driver issues with the SD slot and the FW800 port...

What do you think?

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Hopefully some can help out here... I was just thinking about doing the same thing. This sounds like a great idea, but I would imagine that the OS may have updates that we need for the new Unibodies? Or maybe we will see an update pushed through from Apple tomorrow with these driver updates.

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

You might run into some driver issues, although an Archive and Install should fix those issues, or a Time Machine backup and then reinstall.

4. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I have used this method before, and that was another thought, but I'm not 100% sure how TM works.

When you do that, does it install the OS from the DVD that you booted from and then the files from the TM backup? Or does it just pull the OS and the files from the backup?

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

An archive and install after the drive is installed in the new UB MB might be the easiest.

Otherwise, you should use the Migration Assistant and migrate from the old machine to the new using Firewire Target Disk Mode. Once that's done, you can clone the new drive to the 7200 RPM drive using Disk Utility.

In either case, you should really have a Time Machine or image (clone) backup before you start swapping drives.

If you do have a Time Machine backup, you can migrate from it, instead of directly from the old machine.

The end result of either migration method should be the same as an archive and install (that still looks like the easiest for you). The point of either method is to make sure you have the latest build - the one that came with the UB Mac. That build could be newer than the current public release (in this case, 10.5.7 9J61).

6. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

It will work. A guy on here swapped out his uMB drive into his uMBP drive and didn't have an issue. The only problem was that he couldn't switch between the two graphics modes as the MB didn't support that.