UMBP brightness Dim Over Time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trismeplz, Sep 8, 2009.

1. trismeplz macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a unibody macbook pro 2.8Ghz (awesome machine by the way) and was wondering whether would the LED screen get dimmer over time like the previous non unibody models?

When I had my powerbook and non unibody macbook pro, I had a habit of keeping the brightness at full and realize after a while it starts to get dimmer and dimmer. A good fren alerted me to try and keep the brightness at 50% to conserve battery life was wondering do u any of u notice the same dimming occuring on ur UMBP?

Appreciate all the response! :)

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The current displays use LED backlighting and don't suffer the sort of degradation over time cold-cathode backlights did.

(Just fyi: some non-unibody models did have LED backlighting.)

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yep. That, lower power consumption, and not having to wait on them to warm up like the CCFL's was the reason for going with the led's.

4. trismeplz thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thank u so much for the replies now I can set the brightness higher and not worry about it getting dimmer! :D

5. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Actually, LEDs do dim over time, but not nearly as quickly as CCFL displays. The machine will die or be replaced before the display noticeably dims.

6. gorn macrumors member

You could always give Screen Cleaner Pro a try. It takes several minutes of calibration first, but then does a good job revitalizing degraded pixels. You can keep working while it's running, just leave it open.

ScreenCleaner Pro

ScreenCleaner Pro rectifies fading LCD and CRT displays by altering the gamma of your monitor to compensate for monitor degradation, so it will look as good as new. Don't toss out that old monitor, just run ScreenCleaner Pro on it, and watch your old monitor gain a new life.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/dl/screencleaner

*AF

7. trismeplz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks gorn Screen Cleaner has been my lifesaver since my powerbook days :D

8. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

WOW!! if I didn't know better, I would have sworn that this was Billy Mays

9. create90mph macrumors newbie

I bet Billy Mays was a mac user