Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
Recently...I think last night, comcast internet service was having problems keeping the internet up. Thus causing havoc for many many students and other internet depending people. Tell me if you are using comcast and what you think it could have possibly been... As you can see, it is working now.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Heard more problems/horror stories about Comcast service than any other ISP. I use SBC/Yahoo and, though the speed isn't as fast (2.5 down/392 up), I haven't experienced *any* downtime in years.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
Yes, there were problems with Comcast's internet connection. My friend and parents were without internet in the Monroe, WA area. My friend told me that Comcast had cut some line in the Seattle, WA area that disrupted connection to a large region.

... just passing what I heard along... I can't affirm the validity of the reason for the downtime.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
tfaz1 said:
Heard more problems/horror stories about Comcast service than any other ISP. I use SBC/Yahoo and, though the speed isn't as fast (2.5 down/392 up), I haven't experienced *any* downtime in years.
yeah, sbc yahoo!s awesome, plus they wont give your info to the riaa/mpaa :p

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
I think it had to do with the recent upgrade to 4Mbit down and 384k up, I noticed I could get on IRC and MSN but not all websites would DNS.

I dunno I thought it was the speed upgrade.

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
Had issues here in the Boston area. Only problem I've ever had with Comcast. I REALLY don't have a problem with them since they continue to give me more cable channels than I'm paying for...I told them about this, and they still haven't changed it...so, mum's the word!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
RoadRunner was fine.... 5Mbps/300Kbps

One outage a number of years ago. Some guy came over that day to fix it.

They tend to be pretty good about downtime, etc.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
pianodude123 said:
Recently...I think last night, comcast internet service was having problems keeping the internet up. Thus causing havoc for many many students and other internet depending people. Tell me if you are using comcast and what you think it could have possibly been... As you can see, it is working now.
There were outages state-wide across Alabama and Mississippi.

(I called tech support to see if I was the only one w/ a problem.)

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I was having problems last weekend. My internet kept cutting out every hour and it would stay out for like 10-15 minutes at a time. It was pissing me off so badly. It's not doing it anymore. I called optimum and they said it's because they were do some server upgrades near me.

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
stevietheb said:
Had issues here in the Boston area. Only problem I've ever had with Comcast. I REALLY don't have a problem with them since they continue to give me more cable channels than I'm paying for...I told them about this, and they still haven't changed it...so, mum's the word!

yep, this is the kind of response I was hoping for...and all the others, but you are probably running on the same line i am, if you are near Boston. (or...if you aaa nea Boston)but no joke only Bostinians can make fun of themselves, just like you cant make fun of his mum!i live near bos, so thats why i said that!

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
ChrisBrightwell said:
There were outages state-wide across Alabama and Mississippi.

(I called tech support to see if I was the only one w/ a problem.)

When i called comcast the line was BUSY!!!!

Thats what really put me over! also, take a gander at this:

http://www.comcast.net/help and look at the network health icon. they should have had an announcement instead of having to personally talk to every customer!!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I've been a happy Comcast customer for a couple years now - but yeah, a couple nights back they had a nationwide problem. The official word from Comcast was that three core routers went down more or less simultaneously. However the symptoms (and workarounds people found) pointed more toward a DNS problem.

I'm not a huge network geek, but I can't see a few routers causing nationwide problems. A DNS screwup, however... :rolleyes:

Edit: Actually I want to amend my initial statement. I have been quite happy with Comcast's stability and reliability. The few times I've tried to use their tech support, though, it has been a nightmare. I think they've got 12-year-olds manning the phones. :D

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Thursday night, Comcast's DNS servers were totally hosed. It was a nationwide problem (the recording on their tech-support line said so).

Since I moved into my own place a year ago, I've had more problems with Comcast than I care to mention. I've had to have techs out here several times, for both Internet and television related problems. In addition to that, the lazy technician bastards that come out here never clean up outside when they're done. There are these big green 'tube' shaped things outside of each building, where the 8 or so condos that have cable all connect to the main feed. Every time they come out here to do work, they leave the things open with all the wires sticking out, and each time I call Comcast to report it and have someone come out and fix it. They leave the damned things open for water and other elements to get in there, which is just going to create more work for them when something gets in there and screws up the connections (not to mention interrupt connectivity for people).

When I lived with my parents, we had so many problems with their Internet service that we just switched to DSL. Never had any problems with it.

In short, I hate Comcast. :)

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Ya, I had the same problem Thursday night too. It was weird the internet would work in 3 or 4 sec. bursts and even then only major sites like google would work. As mention i have since read that there DNS servers crashed here is a cnet story about it. http://news.com.com/DNS+issue+hobbles+Comcast/2100-1038_3-5660518.html

This is the first time i have problems with my internet connection from comcast. Cable tv from them on the other hand i have had loads of trouble with them on. :rolleyes:

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
Yep, problems with Comcast on Thursday in Tallahassee, FL as well. Seems to be fixed now, haven't had a problem since. Except for that neighbor who keeps trying to hack his way onto my wireless network...

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
eh? I use Comcast Cable at home (Rockville), and I using it on and off during the day this weekend--on the iBook of course.

I used it both Friday and Saturday...so wuz the issue before then? Since getting cable back in 2003, Comcast has been pretty good for me.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Mav451 said:
eh? I use Comcast Cable at home (Rockville), and I using it on and off during the day this weekend--on the iBook of course.

I used it both Friday and Saturday...so wuz the issue before then? Since getting cable back in 2003, Comcast has been pretty good for me.

Comcast service sucks based on my mother in-laws experience. Not to mention higher costs. Not too mention the costs from Comcast.

In Fairfax VA I get the basic channels, the first tier of digital channels, DVR, and HS Internet for just $79 including taxes and fees .Still high IMO, but less if I understand here services in Gaithersburg.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Chip NoVaMac said:
Comcast service sucks based on my mother in-laws experience. Not to mention higher costs. Not too mention the costs from Comcast.

In Fairfax VA I get the basic channels, the first tier of digital channels, DVR, and HS Internet for just $79 including taxes and fees .Still high IMO, but less if I understand here services in Gaithersburg.

Well what I have heard is that b/c the bandwidth is shared (for cable), that basically the quality of it will depend on your neighborhood.

Got a high schooler d/ling pr0n next door? That's gonna suck away a ton of bandwidth there. Or the kids across the road who leave BT on 24/7? Those kind of little things can negatively affect it. My neighborhood consists of mostly "empty nests" now, so when I come back, there are hardly any other younger guys around.

And considering not a single grown-up I know d/ls pr0n or uses BT, most of that bandwidth is left untouched.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Chip NoVaMac said:

Chip,

Don't complain about the costs of your services. In the Philly area (where there is not too much competition), your services would cost over $100 without including taxes. $80 would be great.

pianodude123 said:
When i called comcast the line was BUSY!!!!

Thats what really put me over! also, take a gander at this:

http://www.comcast.net/help and look at the network health icon. they should have had an announcement instead of having to personally talk to every customer!!
Well, I would have had a hard time getting to that announcement since my internet was down.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Everyone in my area with comcst was down. But it was strange, AIM worked as did my FTP. It was like only the web-sites didn't work. It's beck to it's usualy 4mb self, so I'm happy.

evilernie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
Last night

Comcast internet was down again last night (4/12). I would switch in a heartbeat if I had any other choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.