Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crunchymilk55

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Hey all,

I had a jailbroken iphone v2.2. It had most of the major apps from cydia. Eventually I got sick of the lagginess and went back to stock. I just plugged the phone into itunes and let itunes upgrade the firmware to 2.2.1. Everything is normal, except that my carrier name is still changed to a custom name, wifi is shown by connection speed, and my battery level is still shown as a battery percentage. I thought putting the original firmware on there would erase all of this? Did I do something wrong? Is there another option besides jailbreaking it again, then downloading that customization program, resetting that, and then unjailbreaking it again? I don't care about it, but obviously I don't want it to be obvious it was jailbroken in case I ever have to take it in for warranty work or trade-in. Any help is appreciated.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hey all,

I had a jailbroken iphone v2.2. It had most of the major apps from cydia. Eventually I got sick of the lagginess and went back to stock. I just plugged the phone into itunes and let itunes upgrade the firmware to 2.2.1. Everything is normal, except that my carrier name is still changed to a custom name, wifi is shown by connection speed, and my battery level is still shown as a battery percentage. I thought putting the original firmware on there would erase all of this? Did I do something wrong? Is there another option besides jailbreaking it again, then downloading that customization program, resetting that, and then unjailbreaking it again? I don't care about it, but obviously I don't want it to be obvious it was jailbroken in case I ever have to take it in for warranty work or trade-in. Any help is appreciated.

You did everything right up to the back-up point. You see when your iPhone was restored iTunes asked you "Do you want to Restore from xxxx Back-Up?" When you hit yes, all previous settings, non-jailbroken and jailbroken went into the iPhone.

To solve this, just Restore again and set-up as new iPhone, this way no settings from when being jailbroken will be transfered back.

crunchymilk55

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009
You did everything right up to the back-up point. You see when your iPhone was restored iTunes asked you "Do you want to Restore from xxxx Back-Up?" When you hit yes, all previous settings, non-jailbroken and jailbroken went into the iPhone.

To solve this, just Restore again and set-up as new iPhone, this way no settings from when being jailbroken will be transfered back.

Thank you for your response. When I plugged the iphone in to upgrade, it did not ask me to restore from a backup. From my understanding, restore from backup is only an option when you revert the phone back to completely original. I was only upgrading.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Thank you for your response. When I plugged the iphone in to upgrade, it did not ask me to restore from a backup. From my understanding, restore from backup is only an option when you revert the phone back to completely original. I was only upgrading.

That's why, upgrading keeps all your data, it doesn't delete it. Restoring, on the other hand, does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.