Unable to boot computer.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by clipper34, Sep 25, 2009.

1. clipper34 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have recently ran into a problem. With my Macbook, I just did a software update to be able to use the newer version of AIM. So I let the updates install and the let the computer restart. So when I turn it on I keep getting this message: You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button. And I have done that and it still persists, any help would be appreciated!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I'd say call Apple and see what they say. I have never heard of this problem. By the way, what OS are you running? Tiger? Leopard? Snow Leo?

3. clipper34 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was currently running Tiger at the time.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

5. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

When the message appeared "You need to restart your computer", that was a Kernel Panic.

Read more about those here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1392

6. clipper34 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was doing the usual software update that is automatically set, I had ignored the last update so I thought it would be good to get it and install it.

7. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Does your screen dim a couple shades of grey behind the message?

Sounds like kernel panic. It needs to be looked at by Apple to determine the cause.

Something in the software is telling the machine to look for a piece of hardware that isn't there, and it's freaking out. OR, something was corrupted or incomplete in the software update file you downloaded, and it's causing a major problem in your OS.

It could be as simple as them re-installing the software with a "clean" version, or it could be that one of your RAM chips has become dislodged a couple of milimetres, or any number of things.

Have you tried booting from the Hardware Diagnostic CD by holding down the C key? That will tell you if the problem is hardware.

^ Whoops, I see someone beat me to it!