Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaltonThunder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2016
Little Rock
This is by far the most buggy beta I have tested from Apple. The biggest problem is that even though I am able to put files into the Trash Can and delete them, The free space on my hard drive does not change. I have deleted well over 40gbs of data and nothing. Also the fans on my MBP run at 100% all the time and the only source of significant heat seems to be around the Magsafe connector. I wish it wasn't such an incredible hassle to downgrade.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Use Recovery OS, Disk Utility to verify and if necessary repair the file system.

Or if you'd like to share the details, use Terminal and fsck_hfs.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The biggest problem is that even though I am able to put files into the Trash Can and delete them, The free space on my hard drive does not change.

Do you have Time Machine turned on? If you do, when you delete files then empty the trash, those files don't really get deleted. They get moved into a hidden /.MobileBackups folder and will be removed as your disk approaches 80% full.

You can read a bit about it here.

Run this command in Terminal and it will show how much data is in that folder.

Code:
sudo du -hs /.MobileBackups

Reactions: grahamperrin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.