Unable to delete backed-up files in OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by uptownnyc, Oct 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. uptownnyc macrumors 6502

I used CCC to clone a copy of my primary drive to a secondary location since the primary seemed to be failing. Now I'm trying to delete the folder where I made the backup, but I'm unable to delete many of the files that are the replicas of the /Applications folder since OSX thinks they're system applications. This is the error I'm seeing:

"Some items in the Trash cannot be deleted because of System Integrity Protection."

How can I get around this? I'd like to delete the duplicates since they serve no purpose.

2. KALLT macrumors 601

Try mounting the disk with ignored ownership. You can do this in Finder, by right-clicking on the volume and selecting ‘Get Info’. There is a checkbox at the bottom (which you might need to unlock first by pressing the lock).

3. uptownnyc thread starter macrumors 6502

No luck.

4. KALLT macrumors 601

That is odd. I have not seen this before. SIP should not apply to attached storage. I am not familiar with what CCC does. You can disable SIP temporarily of course, by booting into Recovery and typing “csrutil disable” (without quotes) in a Terminal window.

5. uptownnyc thread starter macrumors 6502

It's actually not attached storage. I swapped out the DVD drive in an old MBPro and it's a second internal drive. So is the "csrutil disable" the right way to handle this then?

6. KALLT macrumors 601

Yes, SIP is disabled via NVRAM. Any SIP-capable OS X installation will ignore the file protections as a result.