Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aroshlakshan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2013
Hello,

I'm trying to install Linux (Ubuntu server, Oracle Linux, etc) on UTM on my M1 Macbook Air. I download the iso and create the VM but when I start it and select the option to install Linux and press enter, it comes back to the install options screen. No matter how many distributions I try this is the same. Tried searching this problem on the internet but I could not find any solutions. Anyone have an idea how to resolve this issue? Thanks.

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
I do not now what UTM is but I can tell you that Fedora and Ubuntu are working on the M1 and M1 Max under Parallels Pro. There are some Problems installing parallels tools on the newest Ubuntu 22.05 and Fedora 16. It is not possible to attach more then 8 cores / processors to the VM on the MacStudio Ultra.

forever_music

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2023
Hello, I installed Ubuntu 22.04 arm (from Server version).
I used this two links to help me about the installation:

And now, Ubuntu 22.04 arm is working more or less on UTM software. ;)

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Not all distros work with UTM. You have to try several to find a working one.

themoffman

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2023
most likely a kernel page size issue, you need one that supports 4 or 16K iirc and that should let you install

wyrdness

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2008
I installed Debian on UTM with no issues on a M2 Pro this morning. This was using Apple's virtualisation, rather than QEMU and with Rosetta support enabled. QEMU should, apparently, be more stable.

Could you post your steps in more detail. Did you attach the ISO - I made that mistake first time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.