Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filo8818

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Hello everybody,

i really need your help cause i'm getting mad here!!

Suddenly my mid-2012 MB Pro became incredibly slow (for example to open a picture it took 3 minutes more or less) so i thought could be the a damage to the 500 GB internal drive hard drive (after 6 yeas of usage seems reasonable to me).

So i back up all my important documents to an external drive and i bought a new Seagate 500 GB to perform a clean installation.

Even when i start the MB Pro with the new hard drive installed it takes 10 minutes to boot in order to display the restore options page (the one with Disk Utility etc..) and when i start the installation of the OS the bar moves very slowly (like to pass from 17 minutes remaining to 15 it takes more than 20 minutes).

I've tried to erase and format the new disk twice, and i even tried to install both HIGH SIERRA and after YOSEMITE, but neither one is working.

After a few hours on the installing page i get an error saying "installation could not be performed on this computer, please restart".

Beside the HD, what could be the cause of such lost of performance?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best,

Filippo

filo8818

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
The SATA HDD cable is notoriously flaky on those machines, cheap and easy too replace. Also an ssd would have transformed that computer rather than going with another spinning disk drive, it’s worth the extra cash for a computer that feels like new.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MyArmor-Re...3&sr=8-1&keywords=MacBook+Pro+SATA+cable+2012

Thanks! I thought could be fault of the cable but i wasn't sure.

Tonight ll try to swap cable with the one my GF MacBook pro (same year and same model) to see if will work.

Thank you very much

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

Tonight ll try to swap cable with the one my GF MacBook pro (same year and same model) to see if will work.

Thank you very much

Cool but be very careful you could very well break hers they are terribly prone to failure with an sort of manipulation.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

Thank you very much
Apple will replace the cable for free on most 2012 MBPs that have had failures. It's sort of an unadvertised recall/service extension.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
As others have said, take the MacBook to Apple and they'll probably replace the drive ribbon cable.

One other thing:
You SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT an SSD to use as a replacement drive, NOT an HDD.
Much, much, MUCH faster!

filo8818

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Thank you very much, it was the cable.

Changed that and now is working as new!!!

Thanks a lot!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.