Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waigx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Now I feel myself like this pizza lady complains no toppings:

Enjoy your AirTags everyone!

• Haha
Reactions: leebroath

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
After looking at the diagram included in the box & trying it, it was so easy to reopen! Just 2 seconds!
Earlier it took me awhile & I didn’t have any success…
Went to get get the packaging & so easy now!

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
After looking at the diagram included in the box & trying it, it was so easy to reopen! Just 2 seconds!
Earlier it took me awhile & I didn’t have any success…
Went to get get the packaging & so easy now!

I totally missed that.

sixtydashone

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2020
I had trouble at first too. There is an arrow on the holder indicating which way to twist it. I hold it between my thumbs and forefingers and push my right thumb left while pushing my left forefinger right.

Reactions: TinyChip

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
It's obvious how it opens and closes, but it's not obvious which specific direction you have to twist it to open. They could have made that clearer.

Well it is, from the way it's in the box. The top part is at 10 o'clock and the bottom part is at 2 o'clock. Ergo that's where the parts need to be to open it.

MrTSolar

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2017
There’s a small latch that has to be able to lift out. Easiest way I’ve found to open it is to try turning the halves at the left and right edges with the loop at the top. Top half turns counter-clockwise. There’s small markings on the top right side to help.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
It's obvious how it opens and closes, but it's not obvious which specific direction you have to twist it to open. They could have made that clearer.

If you look carefully there is a guide etched in the plastic on the side. It shows where the locked and unlocked positions are, and the correct direction to twist it should be obvious from that. (To open, the side with the Belkin logo goes anti-clockwise)

Reactions: TinyChip

andrewj

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
Agree that it’s impossible to open without destroying it. This is for one that’s been out in the field, outdoors, so I imagine that has something do with it.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
After wearing out both thumbs and index fingers, I tried without using my fingers. Between the palms. Applied pressure and twisted anticlockwise. It opened right away
This is how I have to open and close the AirTags to replace the battery. And one time it took forever for the one tag to latch shut.

midorosan

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2007
Ok, so it's not just me. Yeah I was trying to open this also and mumbling "this is not rocket science!!"
Didn't want to force it also, plus it slipped and flew out of my fingers a few times. (eye roll!)

I'll just leave it in the darn case, maybe by the time I have to change the battery it will loosen a bit, unless dirt and grime get in the crease. ?

View attachment 1767788
Interestingly I have the same car key as you and I just changed my battery, unlike others I just used a slim metal tool to engage for that first slight movement to the left and it was done prior to that and before checking out this forum I was getting ver frustrated. Thanks everyone.

baconsnake

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2023
I could not open my Belkin tag holder following users instructions - in the end I inserted a very thin metal shim (like lock pick thin) to separate the tag holder seam at the top of the key ring hole, once i pushed that thin shim deeper to separate the two halves of the tag i was able to then twist it easily

Fruit Stand

Suspended
Apr 25, 2016
YYZ
I don't understand how some are finding this difficult. The direction in which you need to turn it is marked on the holder itself with a small arrow, never had an issue with 4 of mine since I got them last year.

Reactions: Reason077
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.