Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waigx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
I received my Belkin AirTag secure holder today, and couldn't wait to try it without putting an AirTag.

Now it is tightly locked and I found no way to reopen it.... :(:(:( I am not sure about reopening with an AirTag inside tho.

Yeah, very very "secure" Belkin.

tempImagei3ZBWx.png

---

Update: finally got it opened after 12 hours. If you have similar issue, please make sure you twisted with the right direction. I thought I knew the direction but I was wrong, once got it right it should not take to much effort:

Thanks for everyone's help, especially @Howard2k

Last edited:

waigx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Just twist it part.. All of my 6 will twitch together and apart..
Thanks, is there some hints? I brutal forced twisted but got no luck so far… (along the opposite direction of locking)

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
They do get tighter as they close. I just used a finger and thumb on the knob the ring tied through and push apart in the right direction.

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
No its not.. they secure, biit I have 6 and didn’t have any issues really, they are just nice and tight when closed.

waigx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
They do get tighter as they close. I just used a finger and thumb on the knob the ring tied through and push apart in the right direction.
Really couldn’t open it with my best :( .
I will give another shot later but if not I will probably visit apple store ask help tomorrow.

Is it this difficult? Might as well order a leather holder I don’t want to struggle with this thing
I got this Belkin with a strap, and an apple leather key ring. Yes, it’s much premium feeling and easy to open. But I think they are different things fit different objects. You may want to checkout in person if there are stores nearby.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Really couldn’t open it with my best :( .
I will give another shot later but if not I will probably visit apple store ask help tomorrow.

I got this Belkin with a strap, and an apple leather key ring. Yes, it’s much premium feeling and easy to open. But I think they are different things fit different objects. You may want to checkout in person if there are stores nearby.
Is the belkin in a sticky plastic? That’s my biggest fear as it’s always getting shoved in my pocket. If sticky the leather with definitely be the better bet, if it’s a hard plastic I imagine the belkin will Be fine

waigx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Is the belkin in a sticky plastic? That’s my biggest fear as it’s always getting shoved in my pocket. If sticky the leather with definitely be the better bet, if it’s a hard plastic I imagine the belkin will Be fine
It uses hard plastic and advertised as “Engineered for Scratch Protection”. I think it should be fine.
My current problem is reopening it ?

waigx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
About to get blisters on my fingers. I will leave it to apple store folks ......

• Wow
Reactions: CaptMarvel

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007

It is hard, matte plastic. Very light weight, but feels nice and smooth to touch. When closed, the seam between the two halves is barely visible. It is tight enough that it sure won't come loose accidentally, but it's not impossible to re-open (for me).

Vindallo1

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2015
London
Bought a Airtag case from Amazon. £4.99 in my opinion from looking at the pics here I’ll cancel my belkin order

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I just tried this. It was a bit of a PITA.

It only opens in a certain direction and if you look at the top of the ring where the Belkin logo is, that side as it opens will turn counterclockwise to the side without the Belkin logo.

So first make sure the orientation is correct.

Then I just pushed in opposite directions from there and it opened. Now I got it open and understand the orientation it's easy.

• Love
Reactions: KaliYoni and waigx

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

It only opens in a certain direction and if you look at the top of the ring where the Belkin logo is, that side as it opens will turn counterclockwise to the side without the Belkin logo.

Then I just pushed in opposite directions from there and it opened. Now I got it open and understand the orientation it's easy.

So, the way it's presented in the box is kind of a clue lol

ABHB

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2021
The Beach
I did the same thing as everyone else and closed it up before putting the Air Tag in. There is a trick to open—it’s subtle but there are small ridges on the case on each side near the top. Push where those ridges are on each side and twist it open.

I am really happy with my Belkin holder with strap. I feel it is more secure than a snap closure and you have more flexibility for attachment than the silicone loop. Note I got the black one and the cord is gray.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Ok, so it's not just me. Yeah I was trying to open this also and mumbling "this is not rocket science!!"
Didn't want to force it also, plus it slipped and flew out of my fingers a few times. (eye roll!)

I'll just leave it in the darn case, maybe by the time I have to change the battery it will loosen a bit, unless dirt and grime get in the crease. ?

IMG_1143.jpeg

Reactions: Reason077

waigx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014

Thanks I finally opened it after 12 hours and countless attempts!!!

Seems I misunderstood of how the direction works. Once the direction is right it pops up pretty easy.

Thanks again.
(I also updated the original post.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard2k

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
So, the way it's presented in the box is kind of a clue lol

It's obvious how it opens and closes, but it's not obvious which specific direction you have to twist it to open. They could have made that clearer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.