Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
So I'm now on my third Macbook 12" unit, and definitely loving them. However I've had repeated issues with sticky keys, in particular the space bar getting stuck and unreliable at the edges. I asked an Apple Genius for a full refund and they were reluctant. Instead he very strongly urged me to take a unit replacement and see how I find the keyboard.

Well. With this new unit the keyboard feels *very* different. The keys are quieter, the travel feels further, and there is no hint of stickiness.

I believe that Apple updated the "butterfly" keyboard on the recently released MBP, and I wonder if they've quietly upgraded the Macbook 12" with it too.

Anyone else feel a difference in recent Macbooks?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Well. With this new unit the keyboard feels *very* different. The keys are quieter, the travel feels further, and there is no hint of stickiness.

I believe that Apple updated the "butterfly" keyboard on the recently released MBP, and I wonder if they've quietly upgraded the Macbook 12" with it too.

I thought the new MBP KB was suppose to be more clicky than the rMB so maybe not the same

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
So I'm now on my third Macbook 12" unit, and definitely loving them. However I've had repeated issues with sticky keys, in particular the space bar getting stuck and unreliable at the edges. I asked an Apple Genius for a full refund and they were reluctant. Instead he very strongly urged me to take a unit replacement and see how I find the keyboard.

Still the same 1st gen keyboard but it seems for the 2016 versions they did tweak it a little bit to make it more reliable. I wouldn't call it 2nd gen, more like a 1.1 update. Having tried both, the mbp has a noticeable longer travel distance though the rest remains pretty much the same but that feature only changes it all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.