Unannounced Keyboard Update

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NewGenAdam, Nov 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

So I'm now on my third Macbook 12" unit, and definitely loving them. However I've had repeated issues with sticky keys, in particular the space bar getting stuck and unreliable at the edges. I asked an Apple Genius for a full refund and they were reluctant. Instead he very strongly urged me to take a unit replacement and see how I find the keyboard.

Well. With this new unit the keyboard feels *very* different. The keys are quieter, the travel feels further, and there is no hint of stickiness.

I believe that Apple updated the "butterfly" keyboard on the recently released MBP, and I wonder if they've quietly upgraded the Macbook 12" with it too.

Anyone else feel a difference in recent Macbooks?

2. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

3. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I thought the new MBP KB was suppose to be more clicky than the rMB so maybe not the same

4. zone23 macrumors 68000

5. Awjvail macrumors 6502

The new MBP keyboard is louder, not quieter. Myth busted.

6. asoksevil macrumors 6502

Still the same 1st gen keyboard but it seems for the 2016 versions they did tweak it a little bit to make it more reliable. I wouldn't call it 2nd gen, more like a 1.1 update. Having tried both, the mbp has a noticeable longer travel distance though the rest remains pretty much the same but that feature only changes it all.