Unauthorised screen shots on hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by odyssey1, Jul 8, 2013.

1. odyssey1 macrumors newbie

Hello, i am a new member to MacRumors and would be grateful if someone has the time to help me solve a suspicion i have with "unauthorised screenshots on my hardrive".

i am not very computer literate but i do love my mac :)

i have an old Mackbook with version 10.6.8

i accidentally imported ~18,000 odd photos/images from my ?entire hardrive(ie resource images etc, images from the internet i have downloaded, as well as old photos i thought i had deleted etc) into iphoto while moving photos backwards and forwards onto an external (Rockstor) hardrive.

through some initial research on some sites i see this has happened to others and do not have a problem per se with this as i have read it is safe just to delete these extra weird images.

the thing i have discovered is a cache (~1500 or so) of unauthorised randomly timed screenshots of websites dating back to April 2011 (up to current date 1st July 2013). this shows both private stuff like Facebook private messages, Ebay email info, and regular stuff like employment searches, music gigs, art shows etc that i have searched.

My question is: is this a sign of being phished or bugged or hacked?

Thank you in advance for help with this query.

cheers.

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Congratulations. You discovered the "history" feature in Safari. And of course these "screen shots" (actually windows, not screens) are authorized. By you. If you don't want this feature, turn on "Private Browsing" in Safari. Of course, "History" will be history. :D And "Reset Safari..." gets rid of everything.

And now think about it: Why would a hacker put screenshots on _your_ computer? Why would a hacker leave traces on _your_ computer?

3. odyssey1 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol - i did warn i was not very computer literate :eek:

gnasher 729 - thank you for your prompt and clear reply

i kinda knew Safari had a history but didn't realise it came with images.
    i shall venture deeper into Safari and take a look around in reference to your instructions.

also, i thought i may have found a secret of trace of someone's sloppy phishing for banking passwords etc rather than a classic hack (and true when i think about it i am probably one of the last persons on earth worthy of hacking into and hackers i am to believe don't leave traces :)
    Paranoia - the spice of life !!

i am very grateful for your help on such an unexciting issue.

thanks again
    i hope you have an enjoyable day/night.

cheers
    odyssey1