Unbearable glare on 13" uMBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Mar 10, 2010.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Wow just today I was using (or trying to use) my 13" mbp but the glare covered up half of the screen!

Even though there are no windows in the classroom that is located up on the 5th floor, the inclass very bright fluorescent lights drowned out half of my 13" glossy screen.

Now I had to make a choice since I only had 1 hour and 10 minutes of battery life left (been on campus for 7 hours since this morning using the 13" off and on). I had to sacrifice battery life so that I can see what I'm doing..

I do love the 13" but times like these I sure miss the anti glare screen! With my previous 17" anti glare, I used to just use it on 1 notch of brightness in ANY light conditions (even outside under the sun especially here in TEXAS).

One thing that surprised me was that my friend's 15" Toshiba had a glossy screen as well but the 13" uMBP's screen was twice as glossy!

2. rwd hero macrumors 6502

What do you usually have the brightness set on? I have mine set all the way up and i don't have any issue at all with glare.

3. dndandrea macrumors 6502

you just made me so much happier that i decided to spit out another $45 for the antiglare on my 15". thanks.

oh hey you could ask Apple to release a antiglare screen for the next gen 13"...
    but then again the next generation of macbook pros won't probably come out until end of the year since apple is full of fail right now.

4. vant macrumors 65816

The amount of light he experienced would have probably effected your screen as well.

5. crobbins macrumors 6502

It is the main reason I love my "Anti-Glare" 15 inch. I enjoy sitting outside with the brightness only up one notch and not having too much issue. If Apple ever made a 13 inch with this option, I'd definitely consider buying one.

6. silversx macrumors regular

read your manual.. it clearly states on pg 45 " Do not use unless in absolute darkness."

:rolleyes:

7. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

That's because Apple insists on putting a sheet of glass in front of the glossy screen, just for the hell of it.

8. coops108 macrumors newbie

coops108

buy the matte screen at apple store?

i wanted to buy the baseline 15" macbook pro and also pay the extra 50 for the matte screen, but do i have to purchase it online as a customization or can i walk in the apple store and purchase it in store and walk out with it the same day?

9. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Instead of buying apple care, as soon as the one year warranty runs out, send it off to tech restore and get a matte screen installed for less than apple care. Or carry your charger.

10. phrint macrumors 6502

I have seen the 2.8 in the Apple store with the matte screen but no other model. Maybe the high end is offered for sale in the store while you have to special order the others. Give them a call and find out.

11. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Oh I know for a fact that it would not have affected my screen or his screen. The reason being is that I've used my 17" hi resolution anti glare screen the first 5 weeks in that class (at the exact same seat under the fluorescent lights). And I had the 17" running on 1 notch of brightness. While there is a tiny bit of a somewhat reflection in all black background, it is by no means a mirror or even a fraction of a mirror.

This was my first time bringing my 13" to that class room today. Oh man it was so terrible! I could not see half the time what was on my display and only after I put the brightness up to almost full brightness did it look good.

But I like using the mbp in about 1 notch since it considerably saves battery life. I noticed the difference in 1 notch to even 4-5 notches can save you 1-2 extra hours to three hours at most of battery life.

Man the glass put on the glossy screen makes the screens HIGHLY reflective and it is very very distracting.

I feel like I'm looking in a mirror simultaneously while using the mbp. Only in the complete dark that the screen looks excellent.

I'm very close in exchanging my 13" for a 15" antiglare model, possibly tomorrow.

12. coupdetat macrumors 6502

One of the big reasons I've moved to Lenovo is because Apple has decided on this ridiculous glossy fad. I still have a 20" iMac G5 and the screen is utterly gorgeous... I don't know why Apple decided to jump on board this stupid bandwagon.

Here's to hoping for a 13" matte MBP.

13. m85476585 macrumors 65816

You would probably get used to it if you used it long enough. I still prefer matte screens, though.

This is somewhat unrelated, but I just found out that you can set the brightness to partial "notches" with option+shift+brightness buttons. I knew it worked with the volume, but I never tried it with brightness before.

14. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks for that tidbit. I never knew that either!

But right now I'm desperately thinking of what I should do. I want to make sure I get what I want so that in the long run I wont have any regrets.

You could be right that once I get used to it, it'll be like its nothing. One positive notion on the glossy displays is that it looks excellent in dark settings..

I dont know if I want to cough up $963 more (thats with restock fee considered) for a 2.8GHz 15" uMBP antiglare.

I just feel like it'll be a waste since the i7's are so close!

15. Mew2468 macrumors regular

Whoa, I never noticed that. Ironically, today I just learnt holding Shift while pressing the volume keys will adjust the volume without the "pop" noise.

Thanks for the tip - it'll come in handy. :D

16. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

[​IMG]

Man I just found this on flickr of a 15" unibody Macbook Pro with antiglare screen.

Looks so sweet!

[​IMG]

Too bad there isnt an i7 chipset in one of these! Oh how much sweeter it would be!

17. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Others have noticed the difference too. These glossy screens are more like mirrors than the traditional glossy.

That's like saying you will get used to someone constantly poking you in the back. Sure you can get used to it but why live with it when you don't have to?

The other option is for you to sell it once the new MBPs come out. You might lose some money but you will get the most recent MBP since you think the current ones are a waste with the new ones so close.

18. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Yea the decision that I'm starting to come to is just to keep my 13" and try to get used to the glossy screen.

If I dont get used to it by the time the new 15" is updated with the i7 chipset, then I can just sell my 13" and upgrade to the 15" i7 model! Sounds like a good plan to me! :D

Honestly, I dont want to pay almost a grand more just for a matte screen + the 9600m gt card that I dont really need (but will be very nice to have connected with the 24" LED ACD).

But if the 15" has a i7 with a new GPU with the matte screen, I would pay a grand more to get it.

19. m85476585 macrumors 65816

That's good to know. The pop is annoying if I put headphones in and the volume defaults to really high after restarting.

Antiglare is available on all the 15" models online. For the base model, that pushes the shipping time to 1-3 business days, and you can upgrade to 2-3 day shipping for $15, so you could have the computer in 3-6 days. I understand that's a long time if you need a computer now, though. Maybe call Apple and see if they can ship one overnight? It would still be a lot cheaper than the 2.8 model. Also try calling other Apple stores if there are any in your area. Or you could buy the new one online and return the 13" when you get the new one (assuming you can afford to).

20. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

The 2.53 GHz 15" model isn't much more than the high end 13". It also doesn't come with the 9600 card which is part of the reason why it's less. It sounds like you want to wait for the new ones though.

21. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Thats not a bad idea. The lowest end 15" with the integrated graphics + the the antiglare wouldnt cost much more.

But for some reason, this is where the Apple's marketing strategy comes in.. I feel that the 15" should have a dedicated GPU!

22. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

The base 15" + matte display is a $250 difference from the upgraded 13" (or $550 from the base 13") in addition to the $150 in restocking fee you maybe looking at; thats $400.

Just wait or TechRestore.com. Its only $200 for a matte display from them.

23. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Since I've been using my 13" the past week, i'm starting to miss some dedicated GPU action.

For some reason when I go to gametrailers.com and watching a video in HD (using flash) the video skips a bit.

Anyone else have this issue?

24. vant macrumors 65816

Some nice tips in this thread! Now all I need is a silent boot-up option (non permanent and non previous stage dependent.

25. Quetsche macrumors member

Actually, in absolute darkness, the light emitted by the screen will make your face reflect in it, especially if you wear glasses. :p