Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

germinator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I have an iPhone 5 under contract. I am offering AT&T to pay the ETF and keep using their service (this will make them big $$$). They still refused to do it and gave me the runaround.:eek::eek:

They claim I would first have to cancel the line, then wait 14 days. This sounds ridiculous to me. :(

After the third call, a supervisor told me that an unlock request is pending and to wait 8 days until a decision is made regarding that request.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
They need time to process the termination of your account and the unlock, so 2 weeks doesn't sound ridiculous to me. If you pay the ETF, you will lose your service (and phone number too). They might have a policy or something that states there is a minimum time frame to resign up for an account (to prevent fraud or something... I don't know).

I think your thread title is deceiving.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You cant just pay the ETF just to unlock the phone and still keep your number and phone service.
If you pay the ETF, they unlock your device and close your account.
That's how it works and always did whether you think its unbelievable or not.
Your best option would be to pay a 3rd party imei unlock company. I think they charge around $100 and that could be less than your current ETF.
Next time learn and understand the contract and agreement you enter before you do so you're not surprised by their terms and conditions and you don't think its ridiculous that you need to follow what you agreed to.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
From their website is there anything that excludes you? It looks like paying the ETF would allow the unlock unless one of the excluding conditions applies.

(sorry for the bad formatting, too tired to care) ;)

General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking All AT&T Mobile Devices

AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:
• The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:◦ a current AT&T customer
◦ a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account

• The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
•The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full.
• The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.

Customer-Specific Requirements• Postpaid Phones and Tablets with a Service Commitment: Account is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T), and all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. The Service Commitment associated with a given device may be satisfied in one of the following ways:◦ Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term
◦ Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies. Note: the customer must wait 14 days after the device upgrade has been completed to request an unlock of the previous device.
◦ Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee

• Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T).

• Prepaid / GoPhones: Device has been active for at least 6 months.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
You cant just pay the ETF just to unlock the phone and still keep your number and phone service.
If you pay the ETF, they unlock your device and close your account.
That's how it works and always did whether you think its unbelievable or not.
Your best option would be to pay a 3rd party imei unlock company. I think they charge around $100 and that could be less than your current ETF.
Next time learn and understand the contract and agreement you enter before you do so you're not surprised by their terms and conditions and you don't think its ridiculous that you need to follow what you agreed to.

I know this isn't what the OP asked, but it's in the same vein...

If the OP wanted to keep the phone number, wouldn't he be able to sign up with another carrier, have his current number ported over, then when he paid the ETF (to the original carrier) have them unlock the phone?

Also, how can a third party unlock the phone? I am confused...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I know this isn't what the OP asked, but it's in the same vein...

If the OP wanted to keep the phone number, wouldn't he be able to sign up with another carrier, have his current number ported over, then when he paid the ETF (to the original carrier) have them unlock the phone?

Also, how can a third party unlock the phone? I am confused...

Yes he could do that back and forth porting to keep the number.
The 3rd party unlockers have acess to enter imei to the unlock database somehow.

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I called and talked to a rep before about this exact topic. Initially he told me the same thing but then went and researched it and came back noting that they did have an option that would allow me to pay the ETF and unlock my device. I'd ask to speak to a supervisor if I was you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.