#Unbelievable! Think twice before swapping your iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tiger8, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Tiger8, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015

Tiger8 macrumors 68020

I still cannot believe what just happened! But I want to caution you guys that not all Apple employees are honest / trained and they can royally screw up. Here's what happened to me:

September 21, 2014: I preorder Verizon iPhone 64GB through Verizon store
    September 30, 2014: My phone is shipped
    October 3rd, 2014: I port my number and start service with Verizon
    October 18th, 2014: I notice scratches on the lower portion of the phone (vain I know), so I schedule an appointment to swap the phone at Apple retail store. Employee acknowledges scratches and gives me a different phone. I thought it was new, but I didn't see him open the box. And that's my mistake

Today: I noticed a small bright pixel so I scheduled a service appointment. Left the phone at Apple, they refuse to service it claiming a third party screen. Here is where I got screwed: The serial number showed that someone bought the phone October 2nd, 2014 from the retail store (and I got it October 18th, so I assume they returned it after breaking / replacing the screen through a third party to get their money back). The employee that swapped my phone didn't put a service record in my account October 18th, so there is nothing on Apple systems to prove that someone owner the phone before me.

Anyway, this will probably my last iPhone. It is still very usable and the defect is minor, so I will hold on to it until my contract is over, but I'm just baffled how wrong this is. The only place where there's confirmation that my service was swapped is Verizon, saying that my number was moved from one old serial number to another.

If you end up having to replace your phone, please make sure you do the following:
    1. INSIST on a new device. And tell them to bring the device from the back and open it in front of you. If they already brought it open, request that they run a serial number check on it to be sure. It's your right.
    2. Request an email transaction of the swap, DON'T LEAVE THE STORE BEFORE GETTING IT.

It takes years to build loyalty, but one mistake can wreck it all.

Update 9/7: Verizon CONFIRMS my story! I am not going crazy! I called an a wonderful customer service lady dug in the archives of their systems, she kept copying and pasting Ids until she found it. According to their records an Apple store (partner) switched my service from the old phone to the new phone on October 18th a bit after 4 PM, which proves that I did show up for my appointment on 3:50 and the change was done by Apple.

I am seriously considering a fraud complaint against apple with the FTC.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I thought they always give you a receipt for every repair or replacement.
    At least with me I always got an email with services rendered and serial numbers on the email with new and replacement device.

3. Tiger8 thread starter macrumors 68020

This was the first time I had to replace an iPhone (though this is my 4th iPhone, been lucky with the first 3), so I didn't know. Again, which shows how much the employee that did the swap screwed up, there's no record of the transaction in their systems and I don't have an email.

If I had the email of the swap, I would have been able to prove to the manager that indeed what he said about the phone being new is not correct, but I don't. Fool me once...

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

You don't recall signing anything for your warranty claim with the Apple rep last Oct?

5. Tiger8 thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't quite recall to be honest. I think I signed something on an iPad, but again, no record of the swap in either my email or Apple's log. Only Verizon has the record, but that doesn't prove anything unfortunately

6. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

this seems very very very weird to me. ive replaced iphones maybe 5 times before, since iphone 3g....
    each time they send me an email confirmation receipt and i have to sign a document, that is then emailed to me.
    the iphone also comes out in a box that gets unsealed before my eyes, every time.

weird.

7. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Yep I've always gotten a receipt by email.

8. Tiger8 thread starter macrumors 68020

Believe me I am a fan of Apple and I'm not making stuff up. If it didn't happen to me, I would question it, but it did. It is very weird, but the only explanation I can think of is that the returned phone was misplaced, and the amateur genuis guy grabbed a phone from the wrong pile (I mean, he didn't even register the swap so it doesn't surprise me).

The fact that there's a record for the phone October 2nd, and I owned it since October 18th proves in my mind that whomever bought it dropped it, broke the screen, replaced the screen elsewhere (so that Apple doesn't find out) and returned it during the 14 days to get their money back

9. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I won't justify their mistake, but if you really like what the iPhone offers, one option is to think of this situation as a one in a million and forgive them, even if it's their fault. You never know what kinds of problems you might have to deal with other phones and/or other stores (they could be worse problems). In the end, your decision is perfectly reasonable, since we all expect the best service.

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I very much doubt that Apple returns are just passed onto other customers as replacement without some re-manufacture or QA process. That would be a very dangerous and likely to throw up a lot more problems and customer complaints.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Just curious why you thought it was a mistake to not watch the Apple employee give you a 'new' phone.

It's common knowledge, here at least, that replacement iPhones come from the white boxes they keep in drawers up front behind the genius counter.

A white box replacement is a mix of refurb and new and quite honestly, the difference between refurb and new is very difficult if not impossible to tell.

Why is it your right to insist on a new phone unwrapped in front of you? The two times I've had my iPhone replaced the white box was opened right in front of me, but that's not the same as demanding a NIB phone.

I'm pretty sure Apple would go to the mat to deny me a NIB phone if I were to insist on my 'right'.

It can't be an issue of 14 day return because your dates are almost a year ago.

And what does Apple do with the rest of the stuff in the box if they pull out a new one and open it right in front of you? Give you free accessories? For what?

Or am I missing something here entirely?

12. Tiger8 thread starter macrumors 68020

I think you misread the original thread, I didn't use the 14 days return thing, the previous owner of my phone did. I didn't say also you should demand a retail phone (with shiny box and accessories)

According to Apple, the replacement for defects is always new, it's a phone in a special package (no accessories I believe) but the store manager confirmed Apple never swaps for anything other than new.

Again, it's obvious Apple genuis guy messed up, which can happen. All I, saying us protect yourself of you ever have to replace a phone, and make sure never to leave before you get the email and see the phone being opened.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, sounds like the apple rep messed up and didn't do his job right.
    He didn't follow proper procedure and you didn't know to ask for written receipt or proof of the exchange so it ended up going bad.
    But like said above your situation is a rare exception and not the way Apple conducts business. Incidents like that do happen though. I'd contact Apple support or someone higher up to explain the situation to them and hopefully they take care of it for ya.
    or just sell it as is and get a new device.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or maybe Apple can pull up your genius appointment that you made that day to further validate your story and get it resolved.
    Its scheduled under your apple ID and they should be able to see what employee helped you and didn't do the iphone exchange properly.
    If you scheduled an appointment with a genius it should be in their system and they should be able to find it by what store you went to, what date and what apple id you used to setup the appointment.
    Its all in your apple ID's profile history in their database.
    Pretty easy to access.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah I get that part. But I mentioned it because you seemed to be treating this as if you were supposed to get a new phone.

The only totally verifiable 'new' phones are those being sold in the retail boxes with accessories.

White boxes are used for replacements and can be either new or refurb. There is no way to tell.

Then the store manager either misunderstood, is lying or is poorly trained. Applecare+ and the one year warranty clearly state that a replacement can either be new or 'like new'.

Replacements come, as I said in the white boxes. These are just plain cardboard boxes so there is nothing to unwrap. Just open one end and out slides the phone.

I won't argue that the genius messed up and if a return was allowed somehow to be turned around and used as a replacement instead of being sent off to be refurbed as it should have then that it a very big error on Apple's part.

That said, each and every time I have dealt with a replacement the white box has been opened in front of me and the phone has been set up in front of me and every time I've had my email before I walked out of the door. Not because I demanded it, but because Apple just did it.

I am not accusing you of anything, I'm just saying that this would be a considerable screw up on Apple's part.

16. Tiger8 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thank you for that, it is indeed a considerable screw up on their part, that's why the first word in my title is 'unbelievable'. I am usually the receipts guy and very cautious (I also like receipts to track business expenses so I digitize and keep everything), I guess I let my guard down.

17. Tiger8 thread starter macrumors 68020

I tried that, I even showed him the email of the appointment confirmation, his thing was that this is not proof that I actually came on the 18th, and in fact if I did, it would appear under my apple Id. But unfortunately, it doesn't even look that the employee 'checked me in' on the 18th, so there is no record of anything under my Id on the 18th

18. Tiger8 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks Andres, I do like what the iPhone offers, but then again the whole smartphone market is plateauing and times are changing, it's much easier now to switch since most famous apps are now in both stores (Facebook, Whatsapp, Viber, etc...), the days of iPhone exclusivity are long gone. Needless to say, I'm pissed at Apple now.

Maybe I will change my mind in a year if iPhone 7 is a killer.

19. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

iPhone 6?

If so I'm calling shenanigans. Zero chance you'd be able to get a third party screen replacement within the 1st month of it going on sale...

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You might call Applecare itself and explain what happened. Ask for a manager. This will cut the store out of the loop. I've heard good things about Apple trying to make things right when contacted in this manner.

21. Tiger8 thread starter macrumors 68020

That's a good point, You don't know New York City underground! Evrything is available, on the way to Apple store itself you see a dozen unauthorized shops. Besides the parts leaked so iphone 6 wasnt a surprise.

Called them, they said it's not their problem, and that's the store decision. The guy was actually rude though I was polite to him

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Email Tim Cook. At this point you don't have anything to lose.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is 100% proof that you came in and everyone's checked in with their timed appointment in order to see a genius tech rep. Then all they would need to do is look into his notes for that incident to see what he did for you and how he resolved the matter.
    Now not only they did not process your return thru their system and their accurate standard procedure they also did not check you in at all when an Apple rep saw you?
    I don't know, your story keeps getting wilder as it goes but good luck with whatever happens with that device.

24. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Wouldn't you be on their CCTV recordings visiting the store and being involved with the genius. (Depending on how long they keep these)

25. Tiger8 thread starter macrumors 68020

I know! You can't make stuff like that up, I'm baffled about the incident more than the screen itself

I am pretty sure push comes to shov they have these, but typically something like that is kept for legal or criminal issues. I got the feeling the manager had no interest in digging into archives or tracing things, because if what I'm saying is true then someone screwed up royally as you all said. If it was the other way around, and digging would make his case stronger, I'm sure he would do it.they didn't want to help me. That's the bottom line.