Unbiased Apple-centric communities

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chugg, Feb 12, 2011.

1. chugg macrumors regular

Do they exist? I go to appleinsider and macrumors here but I'm sick of clicking on news articles and reading the stupidest comments about any news that doesn't benefit Apple.

I think I really had enough when Nokia suddenly became public enemy number 1 for the Apple fanboys here just because they decided to use Windows Phone 7. Sigh.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're looking for an internet community without trolls? You might as well join the hunt for magnetic monopoles or SETI while you're at it.

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I was going to respond, but it doesn't get answered more succinctly than that!

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I look at BoyGenius Report and Engadget to get tech news. I tend to avoid the comments as they are just usually a flame-fest.

5. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

6. chugg thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that sucks.

Even Windows-centric forums like Neowin have quite a sizable Mac userbase and their forums aren't polluted with anti-Apple posts like MR and AI are with anti-MS, Google, RIM, Adobe, Costco, HP, (and on... and on... and on...) posts.

What is it with Apple sites?

7. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

@chugg, I think there are bad apples (pun intended) on every site. The trick is to figure out who the reliable voices are and which people are just there to get a rise out of someone else, or satisfy their own inner demons.

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

There is no such thing as true objectivity and completely unbiased

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

There is no community without bias. Every community has fanboys. :)

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This... sorry to say there are biases and their are fanboys for every platform and at every forum.

11. *LTD*, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2011

*LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

There is no such thing as an unbiased Apple-centric community.

If you're here, you're already a fanboy/fangirl to some degree. You probably just hold back a bit in order to keep from stepping on toes in the name of "fairness" and futile attempts to be "unbiased."

As for Nokia, they aren't the enemy as such. There is no actual hatred for the flat-footed competition. They're just that: flat-footed and rather dumb. Nokia has no strategy. They've been stupid for the past 4 years or so and when they get called out on it there should be no reason to cry foul. Why play fair with idiots? Why sit on the fence?

Nokia has rejected two winning strategies (Apple's and Google's) in order to go with a loser (MS.) Nokia branding is crap. MS branding is hardly better. Simplicity and design are nonexistent. Shoving WP7 on there solves nothing. Bringing in MS management is not the answer - when MS management can't even handle MS, never mind controlling another organization. These are problems of tech-culture that run very deep. The culture at MS precludes the kinds of things Apple is capable of doing and which Apple nurtures and promotes. That's a big problem for any tech company competing in the same space as Apple. Even Google: leading in market share, but no profit - no one really makes any money. It's an ad-machine with no regard for User Experience. It's just alternate touchscreen devices that give access to apps flooding the market at all different price points. A race to the bottom.

So you're going to get a variety of opinions. I'm HEAVILY biased toward Apple, for instance. Mostly because I believe a closed, vertical model to be vastly superior to everything else. No exceptions.

Unfortunately, Apple makes the rest of the pack look pretty dumb most of them time ANYWAY - no matter what my opinion is - and I for one have no inclination to say even-handed things about stupid tech companies that will never see my dollar.

Don't be afraid to take a stand.

In case you haven't noticed, MR is where you go to belly-ache about:

1) No Mac refreshes in the last three months
    2) no mid-size "tower" Mac
    3) App Store controls
    4) Steve Jobs' personality
    5) OS X update # xx.xx that doesn't address your specific, obscure issue
    6) OS X EULA (when the rest of the world barely even notices)
    7) Why it isn't a good idea to turn a Mac into a Windows-style machine with an Apple UI, etc.
    8) Why there is no PowerPC and no support for hardware that was discontinued years ago.

All sorts of stupidity like the above are to be found here. There is no shortage of trolls and disgruntled Apple users.

It's like an ape that gets an awesome tire-swing for christmas, but is disappointed because he didn't get white-walls.

Apple users are never satisfied because we're pampered to an insane degree. We've come to expect Apple to change the game every year.

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I 2nd neowin, I can't stand MR sometimes, but at least neowin has a balanced front page.

13. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

The level of conversation on Neowin doesn't get much more advanced than what you might hear at a Halo LAN party.

Not a very sophisticated user base. It makes no difference that Neowin's demographic uses a wide variety of tech products from different vendors.

14. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Neowin wins for me. Every forum has fanboys, but recently MacRumours has become infested with them.

15. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I think I can speak for myself and many many members on this forum when I say this is simply not true for everyone.

I consider myself a perfectly ordinary human being who has an interest in Apple, most specifically Macs. I'm in no way a fanboy, and just because I've joined one online forum related to my interest does not make me so.

16. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I kind of disagree with this statement.
    What I mean is that the VAST majority of Apple users do not frequent places like MR at all.
    Some may join when they have an issue they want help with and then disappear when it`s resolved.
    The ones who hang around here just to hang around here strike me as being Apple fans to a degree.
    Thankfully most of us seem to find a middle ground between LTD and Winnie :)

17. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

An <Anything>-centric community will always be biased. Why wouldn't it be?

18. chugg thread starter macrumors regular

Like I said, I'm not looking for complete unbias. I'm looking for a place where people aren't just spouting off how much x company sucks because they compete against Apple. I might not primarily use Windows but I can still appreciate what they've done with Windows 7, which I do use as my primary OS on my desktop PC. Likewise, there are MANY things I dislike about Apple.

Btw, I know all about LTD from Neowin. Guy got banned for being a troll and I'm sort of shocked that he's allowed to roam free here. I mean calling Neowin an unsophisticated user base...? Just take a look at the comments on the current front page story here (iPhone slide-out keyboard prototype)... Christ. Maybe I'm clicking in the wrong stories but I seldom find a "sophisticated" conversation in any of the news articles here - which is why I'm sort of looking for other sites.

Anyways, I guess Neowin is the closest thing I'm looking for.