Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What are you guys thoughts on this video. Please no bashing. Let's keep this civilized.

Honestly, who cares what every body thinks about what somebody specifically says about buying the iPhone X. The consumer should buy what they want with their money, not based on somebody else's "Don't Buy it" video. All that matters is the users opinion.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
What are you guys thoughts on this video. Please no bashing. Let's keep this civilized.

My thoughts on the video are... YouTube "personalities, bloggers, etc." produce videos to make money, nothing more.
They have to be more outrageous, sensational, entertaining, etc. than their competitors to get the clicks and the revenue.
They all have their schtik, hook, etc. and they gain a following.

I don't watch them, cause I believe I am better equipped than they are to make a decision about a device that meets my own personal workflow and lifestyle.
I don't need them to tell me what I should like and not like, what I should find horrendous and what doesn't work the way it should.

Frankly, the few I have watched I found to be juvenile and insulting to any reasonable and fair minded individual.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Totally agree with him. For the outrageous price of $1,000 is the iPhone X two times or double better than the $499 OnePlus 5t ? NO.

I agree the iPhone X is a great piece of technology, super high end build quality, and great display, etc...but it runs iOS :(

I do find it funny, how quick the 5t unlocks with their basic facial unlock feature. And he has a good point on the X FaceID, you have to set the phone just right to have it unlock, AND THEN YOU STILL HAVE TO SWIPE UP TO ACTUALLY UNLOCK IT, double the things to do to unlock, which seems like too many extra steps.

Regime2008

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
You watched the video right? IF you didn't, at least watch the middle-end where he compares pricing and why the alternatives make more sense to him. Ex; OnePlus, Galaxy, etc. The videos is pretty much geared towards getting an iphone instead. Do you honestly think there would be positive criticism in the iPhone section? Seems like there are only people defending iphone in literally all of the forums and sub forums here, including this one. But then again, this is MR...

Last edited by a moderator:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Watched the video...

So his point is:

The OnePlus 5 smartphone costs $499.
The iPhone X isn't twice as good as the OnePlus 5.
Therefore, the iPhone X isn't worth $1000, so he says "don't buy it".

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
...why the alternatives make more sense to him...

This is the whole point... makes more sense to him
I have no problem with the choices others make, I just don't like being told what my choice should be based on someone elses experience
The video shouldn't be "DON'T buy the iPhone X" it should be "Why I don't want to buy the iPhone X"

Regime2008

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
He mentioned he doesn’t enjoy the FaceID experience. Does anyone use TouchID and say “gee! I enjoyed that!”?

Absolutely, my only reason for buying a phone is the enjoyment I get from using TouchID.

/s
He then compares how the FP sensor just works. No having to adjust the phone, or himself to unlock it. Ex: Waking up in the morning, hat on, not wearing glasses, hand on face, etc. Pretty much the experience isn't as seamless as FP sensor to him.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
I never liked the look of the iPhone X so this video just reiterate some of my views esp on that notch.
That notch is so obtrusive. I would never get the X and also it is their first gen design there will be issues.

My view on YouTubers is that they do offer value because they are entertaining and they offer different point of view because not all YouTubers are alike- some prefer iOS and some prefer Android. I don't like to just discredit their value just because the opinion does not match your own.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
He then compares how the FP sensor just works. No having to adjust the phone, or himself to unlock it. Ex: Waking up in the morning, hat on, not wearing glasses, hand on face, etc. Pretty much the experience isn't as seamless as FP sensor to him.
While the FP sensor works just fine for me, there are also people who couldn't get the FP sensor to work for them. His overall point is that the iPhone X isn't worth $1,000 and I agree with him, I don't feel any phone is worth that much which is why I don't have the iPhone X. But had they introduced that phone at the normal $649/699 price point (replacing the smaller iPhone) I'm sure I would have jumped all over it. In my opinion smartphones have matured and I don't see the point for me to spend that amount of money.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Do you honestly think there would be positive criticism in the iPhone section? Seems like there are only people defending iphone in literally all of the forums and sub forums here, including this one. But then again, this is MR...

You Can't predict what would be said or not said in the iPhone forum. Furthermore, you're projecting, as you would have opinions of all sorts. That's part of discussion is having criticism and disagreements based on others views. Anecdotally, you're saying other people defending the iPhone in literally all the forums, which is not abnormal that you are on an Apple related website, but opposing views are relevant on any thread.

That said, reiterating, whatever somebody (Unbox Therapy) else chooses for a purchase is there prerogative . But Watching a video does not need to influence me to purchase something based on somebody else's experience.
[doublepost=1511897407][/doublepost]
Watched the video...

So his point is:

The OnePlus 5 smartphone costs $499.
The iPhone X isn't twice as good as the OnePlus 5.
Therefore, the iPhone X isn't worth $1000, so he says "don't buy it".

Exactly. It's a video nothing more than basing his own decisions on what he deems necessary for the dollar value compared to the iPhone X, but that is an equivalent everybody else's Preferences for the iPhone X.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

netnewswireuser

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2017
It's a pretty good review. Personally, I think iPhone X is amazing, but no $1k amazing.

We kind of naturalized these crazy over $1k prices and excellent phones like the OnePlus 5 remember us that those crazy prices are artificially inflationed.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
He's very pro android and as a guy who uses alot of android devices his review isn't surprising at all. You can't expect to use android as your daily driver and other android phones to then make your iphone your main phone just like that without major adjustments.

Tailtech response to video was interesting

[doublepost=1511898261][/doublepost]
You watched the video right? IF you didn't, at least watch the middle-end where he compares pricing and why the alternatives make more sense to him. Ex; OnePlus, Galaxy, etc. The videos is pretty much geared towards getting an iphone instead. Do you honestly think there would be positive criticism in the iPhone section? Seems like there are only people defending iphone in literally all of the forums and sub forums here, including this one. But then again, this is MR...
No different to people here who also defend android to the core over the iphone.

Works both ways

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Not a fan. The quartet of YouTube tech reviewers I watch are non-bias, do not get snarky and think about the user experience. That's good if you want some details on a phone or laptop, but I do not take their words as the end all and be all. Only my experience with a product or platform can inform whether or not I want it. Sometimes that works, sometimes it does not.

Given the gestures and the craptastic experience I am having with iOS 11.1 etc., that and price are enough of a deterrent not to buy. My opinion is just that, just like this guy and everyone on this board and beyond. Whatever works for you is fine by me.

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
He does make a good point on the unlocking with FaceID.

My older brother, a big time iPhone guy. He's owned pretty much every iPhone to date, he's dabbled in Android phones eevry couple years, only to return them in frustration, just preferring iOS the best. Anyways he's currently on the iPhone 7, and he's itching to upgrade. I said cool enjoy the new iPhone X when you get it, he said the X ? No way, I'm gonna get the iPhone 8. I said why not the X ? Too expensive, he said no money isn't an issue, I'll pay for it cash out of pocket, he said FaceID is a major turnoff to him. I asked why, he said with TouchID I always check my phone on the desk or table,, laying flat he just taps TouchID to wake the phone and checks it. Or when in dark places, he just taps on the home button, with the phone down low, near his leg or on his lap, and will briefly glance it, or check a couple things.

He said FaceID requires the phone to be at specific angle near your face, and you having to look at it, how does it wok when the iPhone X is laying flat on a desk ? He likes to check his phone from a distance laying down flat, without having to get his head over to look directly at the phone.

He said I'll just wait for a new iPhone that has TouchID back in it, maybe under the screen. I said rumors point to FaceID being the future and TouchID gone for good moving forward. Then he said, looks like I'll get an iPhone 8 and keep that for years then.

Reactions: timeconsumer

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
You have to set the phone just right to have it unlock, AND THEN YOU STILL HAVE TO SWIPE UP TO ACTUALLY UNLOCK IT, double the things to do to unlock, which seems like too many extra steps.
I know on paper it looks this way, but in reality you just swipe up. It’s closer to one step than two separate steps.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I know on paper it looks this way, but in reality you just swipe up. It’s closer to one step than two separate steps.

But don't you have to pick up the phone and aim it at your face to unlock it, then after that you swipe up to unlock to the home screen ?

Let's say the phone is laying flat on your desk, a little away from you. How do you unlock it that way on the X with the phone at arm's reach away ? Which is a very common way my brother uses his iPhone 7 with Touch with no problem.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Sometimes I think the original iPhone is the only thing that would satisfy these guys:
First iPhone.png

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
But don't you have to pick up the phone and aim it at your face to unlock it, then after that you swipe up to unlock to the home screen ?

Let's say the phone is laying flat on your desk, a little away from you. How do you unlock it that way on the X with the phone at arm's reach away ? Which is a very common way my brother uses his iPhone 7 with Touch with no problem.
Maybe, but I only ever unlock my phone to interact with it. My notifications are viewed and triaged on my Apple Watch. But even to just view notifications, I can leave it on my desk and touch the screen while looking at it. My notifications then show a preview.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
I think he is right on the money tbh.

If apple and iphone fans were truly honest, they would admit that there are huge flaws in the iphone x package and that the cost is difficult to justify.

What the X has done is brought the cost-benefit equation of owning an iphone vs the competition into the bright lights.

Its a comprimised product

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
He does make a good point on the unlocking with FaceID.

My older brother, a big time iPhone guy. He's owned pretty much every iPhone to date, he's dabbled in Android phones eevry couple years, only to return them in frustration, just preferring iOS the best. Anyways he's currently on the iPhone 7, and he's itching to upgrade. I said cool enjoy the new iPhone X when you get it, he said the X ? No way, I'm gonna get the iPhone 8. I said why not the X ? Too expensive, he said no money isn't an issue, I'll pay for it cash out of pocket, he said FaceID is a major turnoff to him. I asked why, he said with TouchID I always check my phone on the desk or table,, laying flat he just taps TouchID to wake the phone and checks it. Or when in dark places, he just taps on the home button, with the phone down low, near his leg or on his lap, and will briefly glance it, or check a couple things.

He said FaceID requires the phone to be at specific angle near your face, and you having to look at it, how does it wok when the iPhone X is laying flat on a desk ? He likes to check his phone from a distance laying down flat, without having to get his head over to look directly at the phone.

He said I'll just wait for a new iPhone that has TouchID back in it, maybe under the screen. I said rumors point to FaceID being the future and TouchID gone for good moving forward. Then he said, looks like I'll get an iPhone 8 and keep that for years then.

But that issue with face ID on the desk is really only an issue if it's to your right and not right near you. If you have your phone to the left of you by your side it still works. I get that it can be annoying in other situations but I always find it odd that people will look at the phone on the desk but not pick it up? you can still check notifications without needing to switch it on and you can still reply to texts without needing to use face ID or touch ID
[doublepost=1511900873][/doublepost]
I think he is right on the money tbh.

If apple and iphone fans were truly honest, they would admit that there are huge flaws in the iphone x package and that the cost is difficult to justify.

What the X has done is brought the cost-benefit equation of owning an iphone vs the competition into the bright lights.

Its a comprimised product
All phones are overpriced. Nothing new here.

what flaws does it have really? it's perfectly good enough. It has key features android has had for years but with IOS on top of it. Which is what people have wanted for a while.

Could the screen be bigger? sure but there is nothing on android that i'm missing now with apple having OLED/Fast charge/wireless charge/smaller body.

It also has key updates and amazing resell value.

So honestly not sure what flaws it really has.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The iPhone X does seem like a great smartphone, no question. But iOS to me is the deal breaker. I couldn't buy because of that.

Now if it was running the latest stock Android 8.1 I'd be all over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.