Uncharged iPhones to be banned on certain flights into the US

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11288869

The US has declared that it will not allow cellphones - especially iPhones and Samsung Galaxy phones - or laptops onto US bound planes from some airports in Europe, the Middle East and Africa if the devices are not charged.

The new measure which is bound to cause chaotic scenes at airports around the globe is part of the US Transportation Security Administration's effort to boost surveillance amid concerns that terrorists are plotting to blow up an airliner.

As part of the increased scrutiny at certain airports, security agents may ask travelers to turn on their electronic devices at checkpoints and if they do not have power, the devices will not be allowed on planes, the TSA said.

No doubt the new measures have the potential to create frantic searches for chargers at airports and one US source familiar with the matter said laptop computers are among the devices security screeners may also require passengers to turn on.

US officials are concerned that a cellphone, tablet, laptop or other electronic device could be used as a bomb by Yemen-based al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula and the Islamist Nusra Front, al Qaeda's affiliate in Syria.

ThePerpetuator

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2014
Uncharged devices, not just iPhones. Your thread title is deceiving and inaccurate and you should be ashamed of yourself.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
It'll be funny if TSA agents shake the iPhone and hear "rattling noises" coming from the camera and will assume it's a bomb.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1451640&page=4

Than apple would need to release a statement to acknowledge rattling is normal and not a ticking bomb.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Damn I must look extra suspicious with the three cell phones I keep in my bag. And usually one of them is out of batteries.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Well that sucks and and cause some problems. But I see where the concern comes in. It would be pretty easy to open up a phone take out the battery and jam a bomb in. But what if my phone **** the bed? Then what? I want to take it home but it doesn't work... Now what?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I read this earlier about cell phones in gen. Not just iPhones.

Very weird policy

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I can see it on laptops that are big and if gutted out can hold lots of things inside.

But how much can you fit inside an iPhone or galaxy shell of a cellphone?

Enough explosives to bring down an airliner if properly placed I suppose.

That said a friend and I found out how sensitive some of the equipment is at airports, at least in the states.

I have an army issued backpack I used to use to transport small caliber firearms and ammunition. Fast forward a year or so after I decided to use the backpack for traveling and it sent their machines into freak out mode. After a search my friend and I were sent through scanners. I went through without issue however watching the monitor as my buddy went through it picked out directly on his body where his insulin pump connected (pump was disconnected and sent through a different scanner). It's 99.9% plastic with a microscopic needle thing (I've had bigger splinters) meanwhile ignoring buttons and zippers on his clothing.

Impressive equipment to say the least. All airports created equally and there would be no chance of getting anything through. Obviously not all airport security is as good as the next and this must be a first line defense method.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Enough explosives to bring down an airliner if properly placed I suppose.

That said a friend and I found out how sensitive some of the equipment is at airports, at least in the states.

I have an army issued backpack I used to use to transport small caliber firearms and ammunition. Fast forward a year or so after I decided to use the backpack for traveling and it sent their machines into freak out mode. After a search my friend and I were sent through scanners. I went through without issue however watching the monitor as my buddy went through it picked out directly on his body where his insulin pump connected (pump was disconnected and sent through a different scanner). It's 99.9% plastic with a microscopic needle thing (I've had bigger splinters) meanwhile ignoring buttons and zippers on his clothing.

Impressive equipment to say the least. All airports created equally and there would be no chance of getting anything through. Obviously not all airport security is as good as the next and this must be a first line defense method.
Wow, I can't imagine what was going through your mind and all the drama you went through to go by and into your flight:)
Did you ended up explaining to them why their scanners picked up residue on your backpack?

Last edited:

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
Uncharged devices, not just iPhones. Your thread title is deceiving and inaccurate and you should be ashamed of yourself.
...cos Al Qaeda is supports Android...?

Seriously I don't understand your post. The article and indeed the ruling specifically targets iPhones, and this is an Apple website.

Last edited:

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Put it in your checked luggage. Should be easy to do since most people who fly internationally usually stay for extended time and check in baggages.
That's not really a good idea, as there is a risk of the phone being stolen at some point during the transportation of the bag. Just last week, two pairs of pants I had in my checked luggage were stolen during my return flight from Europe.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I can see it on laptops that are big and if gutted out can hold lots of things inside.
But how much can you fit inside an iPhone or galaxy shell of a cellphone?
Enough to pop open a window. Explosive decompression is not fun.

What does uncharged have to do with anything?
I assume it is so that security can see that it is a functional phone, and not a dummy unit filled to the brink with C4.