Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

The first batch of reviews is out.

IGN: 9.5/10

Games Radar: 10/10

(Official Playstation Magazine (US): 5/5...gee, how shocking)

Near perfect scores as expected.

Can't wait for this, it seems like it does everything Drake's Fortune did, but better, and adds more awesome stuff to it. And I really can't wait to see those graphics in action!

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My only concern (one which will not affect my purchase, but may hamper my enjoyment) is that there are less puzzles/adventuring in comparison to the original uncharted, which I already felt was too gun action orientated in the first place.

I would love the adventure/action to be a 50:50 ratio, not 20:80. I hadhoped they would have addressed the original ratio imbalance, they have but not in the way I'd hoped.

Still going to buy though :)

3. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Looks to be one of the best games of the year. Cant wait to play it.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Looks amazing, but that's the problem. Looks like they've dropped all the exploration in favour of big cutscenes and such. More people will like it for that but I wants me some flat out vast exploration game. I think I'd prefer the original :eek:.
    Can't wait to see what is released here on for the PS3 though, considering these guys are sharing their dev knowledge.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

From the 20 minute or so demo I played at PAX, the shooting is much more refined. Enemies actually die (assuming you don't just shoot them in the chest) and having some guns with zoom REALLY helps with headshots. One of only 2 "Day one!" this fall for me :( *so poor*

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The multiplayer beta is awesome....that is all.

On a serious note I'm kinda bugged out about having less puzzles to solve but I can live with it. U2 seems to be the front runner for GOTY...next up Modern Warfare 2.

Bless

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I'm not in the current beta, but I loved the first beta over the summer. I think a multiplayer demo comes out in two weeks.

8. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I played the beta a little. I dont care much for online play, but this looks like it might be rather interesting.
    Uncharted is my 2nd favorite ps3 game so far (1st is Ratchet and Clank), and it looks like Uncharted 2 and R&C:A Crack in Time will be fighting for the number one spot on my list this year. Too bad R&C isnt recognized for the genius it is... Its not violent enough to be taken seriously by "true gamers" i suppose.

9. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I've played Ratchet and Clank since the beginning, and it's probably my favorite series. And Uncharted is probably one of my favorite PS3 games. Yay! October is gonna rock.

10. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

I think you guys are complaining about the puzzles too much...If i remember correctly the video review off IGN.com said that there are a few less of them, but they take up about the same amount of time. Idk, it may not be so bad especially if some of them are interesting and somewhat challenging. :) Way excited for this, ratchet, and MW2.

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I played all the way through the first Uncharted, and it didn't wow me at all. This game looks better than the first one, but I don't really have any interest in it, and I find myself continuously wondering why IGN keeps raving about these games...

12. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

It's not about the wow factor, it's about the fun factor. Isn't that what games are all about? :rolleyes:

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah but I didn't find the constant wave after wave of identikit enemy troops / gun sections to be much fun in the first. If anything it made the game feel rather antiquated relying on old gaming stereotypes.

Here we had a game breaking grounds on consoles for looks, yet its basic fundamentals were terribly old school.

The only thing that kept me playing to the end of the game was the prettiness of it all and the well scripted storyline (and the hope that there would be more lovely looking platform sections).

So yeah... prettiness helps when the actually gameplay mechanics / fundamentals are as old fashioned and labored. Some sections of Uncharted were a real chore.

;)

14. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

So I guess it's out, at least in some regions.

Anyone have it yet?

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Friday for me. Gonna pick it up with Brutal Legend on the 360.

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

The Brutal Legend demo was so awesome but the fact that it switches to being an RTS a few hours in has totally turned me off.... plus it's a Tim Schafer game so it will be $30 by Janurary...

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Brutal Legend demo sucked and I don't see the what the fuss is but the music was cool....I've leave this one for the bargain bin.

On Topic: I'm getting my copy today which I won't be able to play until the weekend:(

18. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Got it yesterday! I think I've put at least 10 hours into it already. ;)

Man oh man, this game is just a thriller. The action never seems to stop! But it keeps the game interesting. The pacing is just right, and the story is great so far. I like how they've implemented the stealth and controls in this game.

And the visuals never seem to stop impressing me. This is definitely a showcase title for PS3. I'm glad they've fixed the screen tearing issue that was so prominent in some spots in the original game, all while improving upon it. I'm actually quite surprised at how they're able to use a variety of textures, and they all seem high-res too. The scale of some areas is quite amazing as well. I guess I'd forgotten how pretty the first game was. :rolleyes:

Anyone else got it? So far, IGN's 9.5 seems spot on. Won't know until I finish it. And the multiplayer is quite fun, and I've yet to run into any lag issues.

19. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Agreed.

I've been playing so much Uncharted 2! I'm up to chapter 24 (/26?) on normal, and once I beat that I'll play on hard! I've played a few great matches online, but I'm trying to finish the story first.

20. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I find it ironic that Tim stated this about Brutal Legend, “Well it’s really an action game, that when you play it you’ll see that it was meant to be on a console”, but yet it's part RTS.

Anyways, I still respect his work, I'm just not going to buy this game on anything but the PC, as that's where I've played all the other games he worked on.

21. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Just picked up my copy. May start playing it tonight. :)

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Got my copy today and I've been at it all night...This game is excellent. I'm digging the interactions between characters and the gameplay has been tighten up from the original...everything flows together just right and to top it off the graphics is top.

It deserves the praises its getting.

Bless

23. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Yup, this game obviously includes less waves. It still has sections where you get waves of enemies, but I don't think it's as many :p. And a lot more climbing, stealth, etc. I love it. Just finished the story mode :D

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They seem to have solved the texture load in problems that plagued the first game everytime you loaded/started new area too.

Very cinematic, more so than the original and I'm liking the stealth parts although it's often hard to see which direction an enemy is facing, and occasionally there is a missaction to your stealth take down (your a micromilimetre out of place) springning the guard into action and revealing your position.

But that's a tiny quibble in what is otherwise one of the best looking games ever.

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree
    i thought the first one was irritating like none other and most certainly not fun imo