Uncharted Impressions

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sikkinixx, Nov 19, 2007.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Well I snagged Uncharted this morning and have played it for a bit, on Chapter 6 I believe.

It looks damn purdy. Shadows, lighting, textures, his clothes, the rocks, everything looks damn nice. The lip-syncing is pretty good and overall it just feels really cinematic. No slow-down as of yet but there is some texture pop-in when you first enter in an area, like after a cut-scene, but no loading screens is awesome and totally makes the game feel streamlined.

The sounds of everything are great. Music is fitting and plays only when it needs. Voice acting is spot on, I love how the speech feels so natural. Things like Drake exclaiming "oh Christ are you kidding me?" when pirates are approaching sounds like you would expect someone to sound, not forced or rigid.

So far I would say the gameplay is 50% adventure and 50% shooting. They aren't really mingled together like 5 mins of action then 5 mins of adventure but more like 25 minutes of adventure then a solid fast-paced 20 of running and shooting. It's a lot of fun and I really hope they keep the balance throughout the game, although I somehow doubt they will. The shooting feels more solid than in the demo, headshots drop them in one hit and the AK-47 holds way more bullets and just feels a lot better.

The pace is brisk, no stopping, no confusing puzzles, just go go go go. It's really great and feels a lot like a movie, like it should. The cut-scenes flow in seemlessly and the story so far is really interesting.

Overall I'm happy thus far :) I hope it keeps it up!

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yayy...I'm going to pick up my copy today. After this and Haze thats it for the rest of the year...I've been buying games on a weekly basis my poor credit card is taking a jabing.

Tell me about the teist in the game....wait don't tell me...okay tell me...NO I CHANGE MY MIND!:D

Bless

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Mine shipped yesterday from the states. I guess it will be at least a week.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I picked up mines this morning and the game is great(so far) The controls are much tighter than the demo and the AI is is tough as nails. I haven't gotten too far but from what I've seen I'm impressed and interested in the story.

Bless

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My copy arrived this morning.

Only spent couple of hours on it, but it's definitely the most graphically impressive PS3 game to date. (heck it's one of the most graphically impressive games on ANY format) Really enjoying it so far.

More adventure would be nice, but the action bits aren't too bad and the control system is really great.

6. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Yeah it is pretty purdy. I think the adventure part is a little straightforward but I like the brisk pacing of the game, I always feel like I am progressing somewhere.

My biggest complaint has to be how many goddamn hits it takes to kill a guy. Sweet Jesus, how many bullets can one guy take? Sure a headshot will (sometimes) kill in one shot but damn, some dudes take like 15 shots from an AK-47!!! WTF?! That and they never stop coming...over...and over....wave after wave... it gets a little grating at some points.

Still, the combat is pretty fun so it's not all bad, plus the everything else abou the game is very well done. Huzzah for Naughty Dog! Thanks for giving my PS3 something to do besides Blu-Ray movies and por....er....entertainment :D

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Yeah what I find weird is a sub-machine gun takes 10 x as many shots to kill a guy as a handgun, and also the handgun can fire off into the distance, whereas a machine gun may as well be shooting into the sky from a distance.

when you consider all the balancing they have done elsewhere, it seems really weird that they have this big discrepancy.

The voice acting, and general animation of your characters is the best i've seen in any video game. Drake's movements are just so fluid and natural he is utterly believable.

The first true MUST HAVE 'AAA' game on the PS3 for me (though Ratchet is deadly fun too)

8. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Still though, the machine-gun upclose is awesome because you just unload into a guy and he is dead. I would have like a better balance though, like the pistol as your backup weapon as opposed to the main weapon. That and different looking pirates (the guy with the shotguns always looks the same) oh and more blood/dismemberment ala SoF :D

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yea the machine gun is kinda annoying....filling them up with holes yet they won't fall...well they stumble;) but it doesn't hinder the game so I can live with it.

The combat is on point as well as the jumping/leaping...I haven't seen a game(on consoles) that match the graphics on this game..its beautiful.

I haven't gotten all the treasure yet but I will soon enough.

Bless

10. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Well, it looks like I'm a little late to the party, but I just now picked this game up. :D Played for a few hours today, and I have to say I was very impressed and thoroughly entertained! The characters are likable and very well-acted. Voice acting sounds believable and natural - excellent job! The story is entertaining, in an Indiana Jones kind of way, which is what I hoped (and expected) it to be.

I got just past the part where he finds the crashed airplane in the jungle, so a little bit after the end of the demo. It is starting to focus on the shootouts rather heavily, but having read several reviews, I was prepared for that, and so far it doesn't bother me too much. Looking forward to playing the rest of it, though I heard it's not too terribly long...

I have to say, the graphics are really outstanding. I think this one and Ratchet&Clank are by far the prettiest games of the current generation. True eye-candy! (Makes you wonder how GTA4 got all those perfect 10 ratings for graphics...yes, I know, it's detailed, there's lots of stuff going on, and it IS impressive....but anti-aliasing, anyone? :confused: )

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

About 80% into the game, the combat improves.

However the game is very much combat heavy and puzzle / platform lite overall. I would have much prefered if it was the other way around.

Still a very good game and at least I can add it to 'titles that I actually did finish'. :)

12. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

On MRU scales I think the 'titles i did enjoy and didnt whinge about' is a much smaller more prestigious list.... does it even exist? :p

13. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL! Its funny because its true :p

Yep that list does exist, but its hidden deep inside a golden ark, which in turn is locked away in a box in a world full of identical boxes... I challenge you to find it Indiana Ed :D

15. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Well, I finally beat it last night (on normal). Took me a little under 13 hours, and I found 49 treasures and unlocked a bunch of medals.

I have to say, this was an enjoyable (and pretty!) game all the way to the end. The ending itself was a little bit short for my taste, but it was still a good ending. Great story & presentation, overall!

It will have a nice place in my shelf next to Ratchet&Clank, the only other game I finished, enjoyed all the way through, and will keep even after I beat it. (My copy of Assassin's Creed hit Ebay the very same day I finished it...)

I probably won't play Uncharted again anytime soon, but maybe at some point, with trophies implemented, I'll give it another run-through. Looking forward to a sequel, too!

16. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I loved this game, I beat in exactly 9 and a half hours :eek:
    Basically, the game is a wild ride one minute and a run and gun shooter the next (well, not really, like others have pointed out it is more like 20mins shooting 20 mins adventure etc). I beat this game like 6 months ago, but I just thought id post :)

17. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I beat it in January. But started playing it again a month ago just for kicks.

18. evan g macrumors regular

Holy cow! i didnt know that so many people DIDNT have the game when I posted the poll on Uncharted VS Gears. Wow! Now people can agree with me!

AWESOME GAME.

all it needs is multiplayer (please Naughty Dog, put it in the second one!!!)

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

So uncharted has been trophy-fied today(PAL Version) so go and get your awards on....I'll replay it. I was actually waiting for the trophy support to actually complete the game agan.

Bless

20. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I'll replay until I'm 75% through, then? **** that game. SpoilaRz: Those damn moster things annoyed me to no end. Screw the rest!

21. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

To soon for me to replay it...I just beat the game a few weeks ago. At some point though, I'll give it another run-through - it was fun!

I have three Eden trophies already - wee! :D

22. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

23. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I saw somebody trophy whoring lasting night but I won't name names ;)
    so last night I happen to turn on uncharted:D .....yeah so anyway I had to delete my save game data to get the trophy to work and I was already 30 minutes into the new game...I had to start over but at least I got the head shot trophy doing it again.

Bless

25. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

c'mon, tell us